Baytown Lee 62 Vidor 61/FINAL

WOSgrad

1 hour ago, L-Train11 said:

Sound alike Vidor’s defense is the problem. But I’m sure people will be calling for Matthews head and griping about the offense he runs after averaging almost 36 points a game. 

Noones calling for the coaches head. They like losing because it makes good men out of the players.

1 hour ago, L-Train11 said:

Sound alike Vidor’s defense is the problem. But I’m sure people will be calling for Matthews head and griping about the offense he runs after averaging almost 36 points a game. 

You can win with that offense but you can’t be so predictable. They need to be more diverse and creative. Vidor usually puts up enough points to win but they can’t stop nobody. I know this year they could not get off the field on 3rd and long. And I mean like 3rd and 10,14,20!! I am getting tired of hearing about how he’s preparing them for life! That’s great! I am all for that but you can prepare them for life and win too!!! The guy is knocking down about $110,000 a year if I am not mistaken an he’s lost more than half his games since he’s been there. Come on man!! Everyone has to be accountable! Isn’t that what we teach our kids. Your never to big to fail and if your not producing you can be replaced! I think he’s done some great things for the program but doing the same thing year after year an not trying to tweak things to be more efficient on offense and defense is insane!!! And if it means getting rid of some your good ole buddies then so be it. Everyone has to be accountable period!! Rant over! Good effort last night Pirates despite the coaching!!

13 minutes ago, panamamyers said:

First time in over a decade I have heard a team playing Lee claim to be out manned.

I doubt Lee has over 80 kids in the entire football program

I believe they’re referring to Vidor having suffered a large amount of injuries this season. The 10 grade quarterback that played last night was his 1st start on varsity. Vidor is now the smallest school in this district with realignment They had to bring up some Jv and some players played both ways last night.

1 hour ago, panamamyers said:

First time in over a decade I have heard a team playing Lee claim to be out manned.

I doubt Lee has over 80 kids in the entire football program

Lee’s doesn’t have the numbers or the depth but man oh man they have some guys that can really go on offense. QB is outstanding, 2 good fast RBs and 3 or 4 nice receivers. We were completely outmanned at the skill positions, hence the 62 points and countless big plays. 

1 hour ago, Realville said:

You can win with that offense but you can’t be so predictable. They need to be more diverse and creative. Vidor usually puts up enough points to win but they can’t stop nobody. I know this year they could not get off the field on 3rd and long. And I mean like 3rd and 10,14,20!! I am getting tired of hearing about how he’s preparing them for life! That’s great! I am all for that but you can prepare them for life and win too!!! The guy is knocking down about $110,000 a year if I am not mistaken an he’s lost more than half his games since he’s been there. Come on man!! Everyone has to be accountable! Isn’t that what we teach our kids. Your never to big to fail and if your not producing you can be replaced! I think he’s done some great things for the program but doing the same thing year after year an not trying to tweak things to be more efficient on offense and defense is insane!!! And if it means getting rid of some your good ole buddies then so be it. Everyone has to be accountable period!! Rant over! Good effort last night Pirates despite the coaching!!

Wow y’all. Seriously??? How about we fix our broken leg (defense) and worry about the paper cut (offense) afterwards. Our offense is doing just fine. Yeah it could be better but how about we focus on what’s causing us to lose these games aka defense. And this is not me saying anything about those kids. But we need a better defense. Period! This offense has created quite a few great things in the past 10 years or so. How about bringing us our first playoff win in 50 years like it did in 11. How about bringing us 3 rounds deep which is the deepest we’ve gone since 50 years before that. How about it brought us our first tri district championship in idk how long.

56 minutes ago, Mytwocents3788 said:

Wow y’all. Seriously??? How about we fix our broken leg (defense) and worry about the paper cut (offense) afterwards. Our offense is doing just fine. Yeah it could be better but how about we focus on what’s causing us to lose these games aka defense. And this is not me saying anything about those kids. But we need a better defense. Period! This offense has created quite a few great things in the past 10 years or so. How about bringing us our first playoff win in 50 years like it did in 11. How about bringing us 3 rounds deep which is the deepest we’ve gone since 50 years before that. How about it brought us our first tri district championship in idk how long.

You totally misinterpreted just about everything I said There’s no y’all, I am one individual. If you want to reward mediocrity go head. I don’t. I gave credit to some of the good things he’s done for the program. It’s the little things that put teams over the top. IMO the coaching staff isn’t putting the kids in a position to win. You have your opinion, I have mine.

11 minutes ago, Realville said:

You totally misinterpreted just about everything I said There’s no y’all, I am one individual. If you want to reward mediocrity go head. I don’t. I gave credit to some of the good things he’s done for the program. It’s the little things that put teams over the top. IMO the coaching staff isn’t putting the kids in a position to win. You have your opinion, I have mine.

What would you suggest they do differently?

1 hour ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

What would you suggest they do differently?

I am not a coach by no means but I know there are different formations you can run that offense out of. Our quarterback has very little time to roll out from under center when passing. You can go to a shotgun formation with the option to run or pass. On the defense a lot of it is pass coverage technique and knowing when to safety blitz. Most high school quarterbacks panic an can’t handle blitzes. Make the quarterback uncomfortable an if he beats you with his arm then shake his hand. I’ve said it before if what your doing is not working then try something different even if you do it wrong. And just because a coach has a little success in his 20 year tenure doesn’t mean he gets a lifetime contract for him and family and friends. If you believe that then you must think Jerry Jones has done a good job as a GM! No need for anyone to take this personal this is just my opinion. I’ve been a Pirate season ticket holder for 25 years! I love and appreciate the effort the kids put into the football program.  I am just being realistic about what I’ve seen for the last 19 or 20 years. Peace Out!

35 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Don’t be injured... Can we do that???

Injuries aren’t limited to just Vidor year in an year out. Every team has to deal with them. Injuries play a role but you can’t use  that excuse every year. Good grief how many excuses can we come up with to make  Vidors mediocrity acceptable? Sorry guys I am not buying it.

49 minutes ago, Realville said:

Injuries aren’t limited to just Vidor year in an year out. Every team has to deal with them. Injuries play a role but you can’t use  that excuse every year. Good grief how many excuses can we come up with to make  Vidors mediocrity acceptable? Sorry guys I am not buying it.

I was being facetious, look some years you just don’t have the players to match up. Is that beyond the realm of possibility, that we didn’t do good this year because we’re just not good enough. The boys have played hard and gave it their all but there are some damn good teams in our district this season. Almost all of them led by good experienced quarterbacks, next year with players moving on it could totally flip. Yea if we could change a few play calls and schemes we might have won a couple more games but what does that get you. Nothing, still sitting at home for the playoffs complaining about our coaching.

5 hours ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Lee’s doesn’t have the numbers or the depth but man oh man they have some guys that can really go on offense. QB is outstanding, 2 good fast RBs and 3 or 4 nice receivers. We were completely outmanned at the skill positions, hence the 62 points and countless big plays. 

Lee has some good athletes for the first time in a while. Just wish they had more depth. Next year they should be pretty good with both the QB and running back regurning.

1 hour ago, Boneyard Boys said:

I was being facetious, look some years you just don’t have the players to match up. Is that beyond the realm of possibility, that we didn’t do good this year because we’re just not good enough. The boys have played hard and gave it their all but there are some damn good teams in our district this season. Almost all of them led by good experienced quarterbacks, next year with players moving on it could totally flip. Yea if we could change a few play calls and schemes we might have won a couple more games but what does that get you. Nothing, still sitting at home for the playoffs complaining about our coaching.

My opinion is based off the last 19 or 20 years, not just this year. Let’s keep this conversation in context using facts and results. If you want to keep clapping your hands like the Dallas Cowboys Head Coach Jason Garrett does an have mediocre results, have at it. Do you think PNG or Nederland would be happy with a coach producing a below .500 record year after year? Let me answer that for you. NOPE!!! This is forum where people express thier opinions, complaints, etc... We will just have to agree to disagree. Keep on clapping an see if that changes anything,

1 hour ago, Realville said:

My opinion is based off the last 19 or 20 years, not just this year. Let’s keep this conversation in context using facts and results. If you want to keep clapping your hands like the Dallas Cowboys Head Coach Jason Garrett does an have mediocre results, have at it. Do you think PNG or Nederland would be happy with a coach producing a below .500 record year after year? Let me answer that for you. NOPE!!! This is forum where people express thier opinions, complaints, etc... We will just have to agree to disagree. Keep on clapping an see if that changes anything,

Do you think if you brought coach Faircloth or Barrow to Vidor, you would have the kind of results that Nederland and PNG programs have? 

3 hours ago, Realville said:

You’ve gotta be a realist and look at talent level and what’s actually possible with that talent.

16 hours ago, L-Train11 said:

You’ve gotta be a realist and look at talent level and what’s actually possible with that talent.

So , after watching Vidor this year what is your analysis on their talent level and what is possible with that ?

Or have you watched them ? You must have watched them enough to be a "realist" on the subject.

2 hours ago, Bootleg said:

So , after watching Vidor this year what is your analysis on their talent level and what is possible with that ?

Or have you watched them ? You must have watched them enough to be a "realist" on the subject.

So this is my first year to not see Vidor multiple times considering we aren’t in the same district. But i did see them scrimmage Silsbee and they looked like the worst Vidor team I’ve seen in years. They had 3. Then they have three tough losses in a row in district, 2 of those losses being to very good teams (Crosby was still good at that point.) so it seems like they have been doing good and could have easily went 3-0 to start district if they would have made one defensive stop.

5 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

So this is my first year to not see Vidor multiple times considering we aren’t in the same district. But i did see them scrimmage Silsbee and they looked like the worst Vidor team I’ve seen in years. They had 3. Then they have three tough losses in a row in district, 2 of those losses being to very good teams (Crosby was still good at that point.) so it seems like they have been doing good and could have easily went 3-0 to start district if they would have made one defensive stop.

I read the first sentence and thats all I need to know. 

5 minutes ago, Bootleg said:

I read the first sentence and thats all I need to know. 

Here’s all you need to know- how many Quirantes are on Vidor? If the answer is 0, then don’t get your hopes too high. Seriously, your telling me that y’all have talent this year? If so, it must have moved in because there’s never really a lot of talent in Vidor, same as Lumberton. It is what it is, and Coach Matthews gets more out the talent (or lack thereof) than most people would.

4 hours ago, L-Train11 said:

Here’s all you need to know- how many Quirantes are on Vidor? If the answer is 0, then don’t get your hopes too high. Seriously, your telling me that y’all have talent this year? If so, it must have moved in because there’s never really a lot of talent in Vidor, same as Lumberton. It is what it is, and Coach Matthews gets more out the talent (or lack thereof) than most people would.

“Talent” isn’t all that makes a winning team or program. And yes, Vidor has talent on this team and just the same as every team. Is it D1 talent, maybe not but talent is there. Its how you use that talent and the skills you teach those kids that make you successful. Matthews is no doubt a great motivator and does have the heart of his team. What I think is being asked is why over the last several years has there been a lack to adapt and change your scheme. As a coach you should play to the strengths of your talent and skills, not make the talent and skills play to a specific scheme. Throwing a football is a talent, but it’s also a skill that can be coached and developed. Passing has always been done only out of neccessity under Matthews current scheme. Am not saying a total overhaul of Vidors current scheme needs to happen, but a little added wrinkle won’t hurt. When the people in the stands can call the plays before the snap, you know opposing coaches can too.   

No doubt some Vidor fans are disappointed, and yes I'm convinced the defense schemes could be better, and yada yada yada.  Facts are, the smallest school in Dist, and it sounds like more injuries than most.  But to those up in arms, I've seen Vidor teams go years without winning.  In 1987 the Pirates scored 48 points.  In 1962 38 points.  Fact is, before anyone starts calling for Matthews head, remember how many really bad coaches there are.  And I've seen to many coaching at Vidor.  There's a good reason for folks saying Interstate 10, Vidor 0.  At least now they have to go to Highway 69, Vidor 61.