Highway 190 Three-Headed Monster (Woodville/Jasper/Newton)

4 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

That is a Setx trend.  I've said for years now... a vast majority of Setx schools get bounced in football as soon as they play someone from out of Setx.

The runner-up in District 9 won't be a pushover I don't think.  Grandview/Teague/Whitney

Dist 9 looks pretty good on paper but idk if its false hope this year or not.... Ex. Franklin played lorena and lost 20 to 30 in a close game... Teague lost to lorena 49 to 7... Cameron beat mexia by about 14 and teague lost to mexia something like 49 to 7... Teague is in a 4 way tie for first in their dist... Either the dist is down and everyone is playing about the same level or everyone has kicked it up a notch... Dist 9 is a mystery to me right now we will know more about dist 9 after the first round when they play cameron troy and rockdale

57 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

Dist 9 looks pretty good on paper but idk if its false hope this year or not.... Ex. Franklin played lorena and lost 20 to 30 in a close game... Teague lost to lorena 49 to 7... Cameron beat mexia by about 14 and teague lost to mexia something like 49 to 7... Teague is in a 4 way tie for first in their dist... Either the dist is down and everyone is playing about the same level or everyone has kicked it up a notch... Dist 9 is a mystery to me right now we will know more about dist 9 after the first round when they play cameron troy and rockdale

I said that I don't think 9 will be a pushover based on what I've seen historically.  I don't know if their district is down either...or if they're really competitively good.  But I know for certain that Woodville's district is down compared to even what the teams in this district usually do.  Woodville only beat the second place team in it's own district (EC) by 11 and EC isn't close to what they've been.  And WV beat Buna by 26... that's a solid win but not a blowout by any means.  

I have to believe that the 2nd place team in district 9 is probably better than the 2nd place team in district 12.  All I'm saying... and we know for 100% certainty that SETX struggles tremendously whenever they meet a team out of the area.  Usually happens in Rd 2 or for sure Rd 3.  Being 10-0 is fantastic but I haven't seen anyone on WV's schedule that proves to me that they can make it past Rd 3.  Madisonville was a good win but even they're a .500 team.  Roughly. Plus..since that win, WV has played a lot of subpar teams.

On 10/31/2018 at 9:39 AM, aTmfan06 said:

Newton should win State this year. Jasper has a big chance to win it all as well. Woodville has a great team. The only worry I have with them is how they will fare against tougher competition in the 3rd possibly 2nd round and forward. Their district has been kinda weak this year and I hope it doesn’t hurt them.

Being healthy in the play-offs is way more better then the mythical tough schedule

27 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I said that I don't think 9 will be a pushover based on what I've seen historically.  I don't know if their district is down either...or if they're really competitively good.  But I know for certain that Woodville's district is down compared to even what the teams in this district usually do.  Woodville only beat the second place team in it's own district (EC) by 11 and EC isn't close to what they've been.  And WV beat Buna by 26... that's a solid win but not a blowout by any means.  

I have to believe that the 2nd place team in district 9 is probably better than the 2nd place team in district 12.  All I'm saying... and we know for 100% certainty that SETX struggles tremendously whenever they meet a team out of the area.  Usually happens in Rd 2 or for sure Rd 3.  Being 10-0 is fantastic but I haven't seen anyone on WV's schedule that proves to me that they can make it past Rd 3.  Madisonville was a good win but even they're a .500 team.  Roughly. Plus..since that win, WV has played a lot of subpar teams.

I agree you can be 10-0 and get bounced in the first round... Happen to a couple of teams last year... Its great that you got a district championship but when do you want more? Region champ? State finalist? State Champions? I will say madisonville had a good season last year so woodville was prolly goin off of that by playing them this season but sometimes it just dont work out that way... We didnt know navasota was goin to be down when they scheduled us the last 2 years

1 hour ago, jv_coach said:

Being healthy in the play-offs is way more better then the mythical tough schedule

So schedule cupcakes then go through a cake district so you can be healthy for playoffs. People get on hardin for this type of scheduling. Why won’t woodville play jasper or lumberton or silsbee or teams like that?

16 hours ago, PdaddyBball said:

So schedule cupcakes then go through a cake district so you can be healthy for playoffs. People get on hardin for this type of scheduling. Why won’t woodville play jasper or lumberton or silsbee or teams like that?

If you know your schedule is going to be soft then it won't hurt to play some tough teams in the preseason.  The problem, though, is that if you have 3 tough games...and then 7 cupcake district games... then the tough preseason was really for nothing.  Playing a tough game in September means diddly squat if you played 2 1/2 months of cupcakes after that.. The one thing Hardin has done right is building confidence in their kids.  Yeah, they played cupcake preseason games but when they finally faced a team that was similar talent level (Kirbyville, Anahuac, Orangefield minus their qb).. then they won because the kids are used to winning.  Kirbyville and Anahuac were not...and I believe that was THE difference in both of those games.  Teenage kids don't give a crap about the toughness of the schedule...they care about success.  When you have a coach that says "This is what it takes to win".. then you better win.  The kids will lose confidence and lose faith otherwise.  The thing about Woodville's district is that usually Kirbyville, EC, OF, and Buna would be really competitive games.  Why schedule a bunch of juggernauts before district if there's a chance you might lose a couple district games.  You have to realize that most of these schools are just 1 or 2 injury/failures away from being a completely different team.  At the end of the day, coaches are concerned with their overall record as much as they are anything else.  Plus..coaches think about the 2nd year of their schedule as well.  Does Woodville have a bunch of seniors?  If so..how would they do against the likes of Jasper and Silsbee after they graduate?  I can assure you that there is a lot that goes into the making of a schedule and a lot that you aren't considering.  You mentioned Hardin...Tod Stark created a schedule that would "prepare" his kids for a tough district and it ended up getting him ran off.  The ONLY think Haynes did differently than Stark when he came in was butcher the schedule and pick up a bunch of games that he knew he could win.  You can agree or disagree all you want but the coach that created the preparation schedule got fired and the coach that created the cupcake schedule is currently the town hero.

22 hours ago, lionpride08 said:

I heard that Teague lost all of those games early but since then has turned it on and found their groove. Not sure how true this might be, but it's Teague these guys look like the University of Tennessee running down the sideline...or well they used to, so if it's true that they have found themselves i wouldn't want to play them in the second round if i'm Woodville just because their going to be out sized and Teague is going to have more and better athletes from what past teams have shown.

3 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

If you know your schedule is going to be soft then it won't hurt to play some tough teams in the preseason.  The problem, though, is that if you have 3 tough games...and then 7 cupcake district games... then the tough preseason was really for nothing.  Playing a tough game in September means diddly squat if you played 2 1/2 months of cupcakes after that.. The one thing Hardin has done right is building confidence in their kids.  Yeah, they played cupcake preseason games but when they finally faced a team that was similar talent level (Kirbyville, Anahuac, Orangefield minus their qb).. then they won because the kids are used to winning.  Kirbyville and Anahuac were not...and I believe that was THE difference in both of those games.  Teenage kids don't give a crap about the toughness of the schedule...they care about success.  When you have a coach that says "This is what it takes to win".. then you better win.  The kids will lose confidence and lose faith otherwise.  The thing about Woodville's district is that usually Kirbyville, EC, OF, and Buna would be really competitive games.  Why schedule a bunch of juggernauts before district if there's a chance you might lose a couple district games.  You have to realize that most of these schools are just 1 or 2 injury/failures away from being a completely different team.  At the end of the day, coaches are concerned with their overall record as much as they are anything else.  Plus..coaches think about the 2nd year of their schedule as well.  Does Woodville have a bunch of seniors?  If so..how would they do against the likes of Jasper and Silsbee after they graduate?  I can assure you that there is a lot that goes into the making of a schedule and a lot that you aren't considering.  You mentioned Hardin...Tod Stark created a schedule that would "prepare" his kids for a tough district and it ended up getting him ran off.  The ONLY think Haynes did differently than Stark when he came in was butcher the schedule and pick up a bunch of games that he knew he could win.  You can agree or disagree all you want but the coach that created the preparation schedule got fired and the coach that created the cupcake schedule is currently the town hero.

The reason I mention Hardin is because he is often criticized for playing those teams. Hardin and Woodville aren’t in the same boat though. Hardin hasn’t won a whole lot recently so yeah you’ll have to help the kids learn how to win to prepare them for district. Woodville is the other side of the spectrum. They are dominant in that district. But I do agree that 7 cupcake district games is the unfortunate thing for them. What do you think would be a starting point for the Eagles to get over the hump.

1 hour ago, Hazer said:

I heard that Teague lost all of those games early but since then has turned it on and found their groove. Not sure how true this might be, but it's Teague these guys look like the University of Tennessee running down the sideline...or well they used to, so if it's true that they have found themselves i wouldn't want to play them in the second round if i'm Woodville just because their going to be out sized and Teague is going to have more and better athletes from what past teams have shown.

Teague is young this year... They lost 20+ seniors they have a new oline and dline.. Almost everyone in the skill position is new and alot of new faces on defense... They did bring back their qb and your right they have turned it around lots of the young ones have stepped up

2 hours ago, PdaddyBball said:

The reason I mention Hardin is because he is often criticized for playing those teams. Hardin and Woodville aren’t in the same boat though. Hardin hasn’t won a whole lot recently so yeah you’ll have to help the kids learn how to win to prepare them for district. Woodville is the other side of the spectrum. They are dominant in that district. But I do agree that 7 cupcake district games is the unfortunate thing for them. What do you think would be a starting point for the Eagles to get over the hump.

Honestly.. I don't know.  I think that a lot of issues SeTx teams face when they get out of the area is seeing teams with a wide variety of weapons.  I have friends that coach down here that literally tell me they'll see a Slot-T on offense and a 50 on defense 80%+ of the regular season.  I'm not saying that you can't have success running that style but it's kind of going by the wayside.  At least have a plan B when it's not working.  Do they have a ton of seniors? Or is this the type of dominance you think they'll keep?..  If they think they'll stay on top then possibly playing only teams from elsewhere in the state preseason just to get an idea and get used to different styles of play.  They'll still fall into the same "cupcake district" pattern.  Perhaps changing the schemes completely up during these blowout games just because you'll win anyway.  Maybe instead of taking your starters out and letting the JV reciprocate the same thing over and over...leave the starters in and change up the game plan.  Let them run different offenses and defenses when the game is most likely won.  I'm not the expert and I don't have the answers but there needs to be some serious questions asked as to why SeTx teams have fallen behind CenTx/EastTx when it comes to smaller school (2A-4A) football.  Newton and WOS are literally the exceptions but even they couldn't get out of the region until the divisions were split into Big/Small schools.  Yoe and Carthage absolutely owned both of them prior to that.

42 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Honestly.. I don't know.  I think that a lot of issues SeTx teams face when they get out of the area is seeing teams with a wide variety of weapons.  I have friends that coach down here that literally tell me they'll see a Slot-T on offense and a 50 on defense 80%+ of the regular season.  I'm not saying that you can't have success running that style but it's kind of going by the wayside.  At least have a plan B when it's not working.  Do they have a ton of seniors? Or is this the type of dominance you think they'll keep?..  If they think they'll stay on top then possibly playing only teams from elsewhere in the state preseason just to get an idea and get used to different styles of play.  They'll still fall into the same "cupcake district" pattern.  Perhaps changing the schemes completely up during these blowout games just because you'll win anyway.  Maybe instead of taking your starters out and letting the JV reciprocate the same thing over and over...leave the starters in and change up the game plan.  Let them run different offenses and defenses when the game is most likely won.  I'm not the expert and I don't have the answers but there needs to be some serious questions asked as to why SeTx teams have fallen behind CenTx/EastTx when it comes to smaller school (2A-4A) football.  Newton and WOS are literally the exceptions but even they couldn't get out of the region until the divisions were split into Big/Small schools.  Yoe and Carthage absolutely owned both of them prior to that.

Defense

On 11/1/2018 at 3:46 PM, PdaddyBball said:
On 11/1/2018 at 3:46 PM, PdaddyBball said:

Well Lumberton got beat by LCM 18-0. Woodville beat LCM like a drum in week 1, 42-0. So, the 60-point margin explains why we won't schedule Lumberton. Jasper, since Barbay took over, has shown no interest in playing Woodville at all. Silsbee would be a good match up, although they've underperformed this season.

Woodville had Newton scheduled prior to realignment. LCM has made the playoffs both years. Madisonville was a regional semifinalist last year. HJ was a playoff team last year and fielded some pretty solid teams the two years prior to realignment.

EC was much better than last season and to say that they're "nowhere near" what they're used to is just plain and simply wrong. They were easily a tier-2 team. Buna had a Tier-2 team this year as well. Beating them by 26 and holding them to under 100 total yards on offense is a blowout. Woodville put up 40+ points and 450+ yards rushing, while limiting the opposition to under 100 yards of offense in all but 2 of the other district games. They could have a tougher schedule and the district isn't the powerhouse it once was, but the top 3 in this district have a shot to win their bidistrict match up. Lol give these kids a little more credit than these comments suggest.

38 minutes ago, Hazer said:

EC is nothing like they’ve been in the past this year. They’re better than last year yes but you’re fooling yourself if you think that team is on the same level they were on a couple years ago. 

EC has the best receiver they've had suit up since Trumaine Thomas. They execute their passing offense better than they have since the Hank Jones era. Glenn Roberts is the only thing that separates those teams from this year's. Across the board, this year's team is more athletic than any of those teams. Take it from somebody who played many games against those teams from 2009-2012, including a nailbiter in the Area Round back in 2009-10. Lol