Highway 190 Three-Headed Monster (Woodville/Jasper/Newton)

Just some numbers to look at from the past 3 seasons. I was impressed.

2016-2018

Newton (#1 3A-II) : (36-1) (13-0) 1756-347 / 2(3) district titles, 1 state title, 9 playoff wins ('16/'17 only)

Jasper (#1 4A-II) : (26-6) (10-0) 1243-584 / 2(3) district titles, 3 playoff wins ('16/'17 only)

Woodville (#9 3A-I) : (28-4) (19-0) 1249-483 / 2(3) district titles, 2 playoff wins ('16/'17 only)

Total Combined: (W-L)(District W-L) PF-PA / district championships, state championship, playoff wins

**(90-11) (42-0) 4248-1414 / 6(on track for 9) combined district titles, 1 state title (Newton), 14 combined playoff wins**

7 hours ago, eagleswoodville#1 said:

Just some numbers to look at from the past 3 seasons. I was impressed.

2016-2018

Newton (#1 3A-II) : (36-1) (13-0) 1756-347 / 2(3) district titles, 1 state title, 9 playoff wins ('16/'17 only)

Jasper (#1 4A-II) : (26-6) (10-0) 1243-584 / 2(3) district titles, 3 playoff wins ('16/'17 only)

Woodville (#9 3A-I) : (28-4) (19-0) 1249-483 / 2(3) district titles, 2 playoff wins ('16/'17 only)

Total Combined: (W-L)(District W-L) PF-PA / district championships, state championship, playoff wins

**(90-11) (42-0) 4248-1414 / 6(on track for 9) combined district titles, 1 state title (Newton), 14 combined playoff wins**

The only blight to that stretch of road is Livingston is on it.

Newton should win State this year. Jasper has a big chance to win it all as well. Woodville has a great team. The only worry I have with them is how they will fare against tougher competition in the 3rd possibly 2nd round and forward. Their district has been kinda weak this year and I hope it doesn’t hurt them.

10 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

Newton should win State this year. Jasper has a big chance to win it all as well. Woodville has a great team. The only worry I have with them is how they will fare against tougher competition in the 3rd possibly 2nd round and forward. Their district has been kinda weak this year and I hope it doesn’t hurt them.

i agree and i sure hope woodville has a long playoff run but i dont see them getting past 2nd and definitely not past 3rd round this year. there's too many tough teams in the region from what i can tell

22 minutes ago, longball24 said:

I don’t often agree with atm, but he is spot on. What would you consider are woodvills strengths and weaknesses.

I haven’t watched Woodville play this year. But from score watching I’d say defense appears pretty decent. And of course can run the ball without much of a problem. I guess I just wanna see what happens when they can’t run the ball. Or face a offense that is gonna go score for score with them. I don’t know how the bracket will fill up but I feel they should go 3 rounds. Depending on if they get a tough second round or not. I think this team is better than the previous 2 years 

Looks as if woodville is on a collision course to meet Franklin in the 3rd round. Our O line has been doing a great job blocking 8 to 10! Man fronts . You are right eventually we will meet our equal up front . When that happens I’m afraid it is the end of the road. Our linemen all deserve all state honors.  No one in wdv wants to hear about our weakness but everyone knows what it is.

I believe in order for you to make deep runs into the playoffs you must have a complete team.  You must be able to throw the ball well also. Woodville has the athletes to compete with anyone in their division in the State.  But I believe you must spread the ball around and keep your opponents off balance. I think that has to be your mentality if you're going to compete for State Championships.  You may win a Championship or two every 20 years with a dominant running team but if you are a serious threat throwing the ball as well you will be much more successful. JMO

I'm just saying with great talent,  recognize it early, and throw the ball a lot at practice. If your playing a team you're sure to beat. Throw it a lot on your way to that sure victory.  Particularly during the 7th, 8th and JV years. Then by the time they are varsity quarterbacks they can be that threat.

1 hour ago, aTmfan06 said:

Can Franklin throw the ball?

Franklin does not have to throw the ball. They are faster (team speed) than anything southeast Texas has to offer. That's just what I have been told. I have not seen Franklin on film nor do I know anything about them other than what I see reported. I have seen a lot of film on Woodville. They dont appear to be able to throw the ball on rely heavily on 2 and 10. QB is average at best but the line is very good. I would not say the defense is great but they are not bad at all. I'd be worried about somebody who could out-run them or mix it up in the passing game. None of those kids have seen a passing game probably since they were 6-7 years old. But, I dont think they will see it with anyone in the playoffs. Franklin will most likely eliminate them, unless Rockdale/Grandview/Teague knocks them out first. Grandview and Teague have both historically thrown the ball very well. 

One problem woodville has is they don’t really play a consistent amount of stiff competition to challenge themselves. Yes, they are undefeated. They have beaten some winning teams, but if you look at their schedules they have beaten losing teams as a majority. I’m sure not a lot of teams want to play woodville around here which hampers their success, mixed in with a district with teams with 2-3 wins on the year doesn’t help. I’d like to see them play people like silsbee, or lumberton, or even newton to see where the cards fall. Winning district championships is great without a doubt. Going undefeated in regular season is a great feat, but losing at the same point every year can get frustrating. 

12 minutes ago, PdaddyBball said:

One problem woodville has is they don’t really play a consistent amount of stiff competition to challenge themselves. Yes, they are undefeated. They have beaten some winning teams, but if you look at their schedules they have beaten losing teams as a majority. I’m sure not a lot of teams want to play woodville around here which hampers their success, mixed in with a district with teams with 2-3 wins on the year doesn’t help. I’d like to see them play people like silsbee, or lumberton, or even newton to see where the cards fall. Winning district championships is great without a doubt. Going undefeated in regular season is a great feat, but losing at the same point every year can get frustrating. 

JMO If your losing at the same point every season you might want to look at what your doing wrong. Not what your doing right. Look at what is consistently winning it all. Maybe emulate that. 

4 hours ago, GoFundMe said:

Franklin does not have to throw the ball. They are faster (team speed) than anything southeast Texas has to offer. That's just what I have been told. I have not seen Franklin on film nor do I know anything about them other than what I see reported. I have seen a lot of film on Woodville. They dont appear to be able to throw the ball on rely heavily on 2 and 10. QB is average at best but the line is very good. I would not say the defense is great but they are not bad at all. I'd be worried about somebody who could out-run them or mix it up in the passing game. None of those kids have seen a passing game probably since they were 6-7 years old. But, I dont think they will see it with anyone in the playoffs. Franklin will most likely eliminate them, unless Rockdale/Grandview/Teague knocks them out first. Grandview and Teague have both historically thrown the ball very well. 

Maybe anything in 3A d1... 

2 hours ago, Amphibious Rodent said:

JMO If your losing at the same point every season you might want to look at what your doing wrong. Not what your doing right. Look at what is consistently winning it all. Maybe emulate that. 

True. I agree. They should look at what they’re doing wrong and emulate the ones who consistently win. Where does that start?

15 minutes ago, Eagles97 said:

Like a sack of potatoes.  They rely on a stable of backs with a lot of miss direction plays.  They don’t fare well against a good disciplined defense. 

Franklin pass game has improved throughout the years... They have thrown the ball more this year then they ever have other then the 2015 season... They keep you honest and on your toes because the have some players with good hands this year and can throw if they need to... Also tell me a team that does do well against a well disciplined defense... Defense wins championship

23 minutes ago, longball24 said:

Again I agree completely anything less than state is a waste of time and talent. If your not going to state end it early and move on to the next sport.

Unfortunately, most schools in setx are lucky to see 2nd or 3rd round, region three has always been hard to get out of. 

1 hour ago, 1979HDBobcats said:

To go 10-0 or 9-1 and lose in the 2nd and 3rd round year after to year is a trend Woodville has had. If you want to call that successful go ahead but I wouldn’t be satisfied till I got to state 

That is a Setx trend.  I've said for years now... a vast majority of Setx schools get bounced in football as soon as they play someone from out of Setx.

18 hours ago, aTmfan06 said:

Can Franklin throw the ball?

The runner-up in District 9 won't be a pushover I don't think.  Grandview/Teague/Whitney