Vidor @ Baytown Lee

Boneyard Boys

6 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

I just feel bad for the higher classification teams that we smoked in the preseason, now we can’t get a district win. It was a glorious preseason, such better days. LCM I understand is doing well in their smaller division but Montgomery and Caney Creek how are they doing right about now?

Caney Creek 2-6

Montgomery 3-5

LCM 3-5

7 hours ago, Boneyard Boys said:

I just feel bad for the higher classification teams that we smoked early on, now we can’t get a district win. It was a glorious preseason, such better days... LCM I understand is doing well in their smaller division but Montgomery and Caney Creek how are they doing right about now?

This is just my opinion, but Vidor’s season exemplifies what I’m always saying about a winning tradition.  Had Vidor won, either against Crosby or PNG, they’d be a lock for a playoff spot now.  Those two losses ended their season.  Had that happened to Ned or PNG, they’d never looked back.  They’d still won the games they should win.  That tradition makes all the difference in the mental attitude.  If Vidor thinks Lee & Dayton are going to roll over and play dead, they may lose both of them.  I’m not sure how long it takes to build that type tradition/attitude.  Crosby doesn’t seem to have it, even though they’ve won a lot in recent years.  They folded after the PNG loss, though they still may make the playoffs.  

Hail, I’m no genius.  Maybe I’m wrong.  That’s just the way I see it.

4 hours ago, Hagar said:

This is just my opinion, but Vidor’s season exemplifies what I’m always saying about a winning tradition.  Had Vidor won, either against Crosby or PNG, they’d be a lock for a playoff spot now.  Those two losses ended their season.  Had that happened to Ned or PNG, they’d never looked back.  They’d still won the games they should win.  That tradition makes all the difference in the mental attitude.  If Vidor thinks Lee & Dayton are going to roll over and play dead, they may lose both of them.  I’m not sure how long it takes to build that type tradition/attitude.  Crosby doesn’t seem to have it, even though they’ve won a lot in recent years.  They folded after the PNG loss, though they still may make the playoffs.  

Hail, I’m no genius.  Maybe I’m wrong.  That’s just the way I see it.

Coaching is a big part of it.  Nederland hadn’t made the playoffs in 6 years before Neumann got there and before that it had been 33 years.  Ned went to the playoffs the first year he coached , missed the next two and then reeled off 11 straight and they are currently on another 11 year streak now.   The point being, he established the expectation early and held the kids and coaches to it.

38 minutes ago, bigdog said:

Coaching is a big part of it.  Nederland hadn’t made the playoffs in 6 years before Neumann got there and before that it had been 33 years.  Ned went to the playoffs the first year he coached , missed the next two and then reeled off 11 straight and they are currently on another 11 year streak now.   The point being, he established the expectation early and held the kids and coaches to it.

Coach Mathews is an excellent motivator. He knows how to fire the kids up and have them ready to play. He explains the battle plan, and they buy into it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But you have to buy into it as a team, or it falls apart. Having 1 player say "this is stupid." is cancerous. Having parents instill in their kid's head "that's stupid." is cancerous.

15 minutes ago, TenaciousK said:

Coach Mathews is an excellent motivator. He knows how to fire the kids up and have them ready to play. He explains the battle plan, and they buy into it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But you have to buy into it as a team, or it falls apart. Having 1 player say "this is stupid." is cancerous. Having parents instill in their kid's head "that's stupid." is cancerous.

Kids play for coaches they like, and know care about them. There isn't a question that Mathews cares about his kids. 

3 hours ago, bigdog said:

Damn! Didn't know things were that rough for big Ned back in the day. Nederland used to be....Vidor

1 hour ago, outanup said:

IMO, he doesn’t have the horses this year . 

Injuries have decimated this team in the second half of the season.  Will be guys moved up from JV this week that have never played a varsity down.  More players going both ways and year long offensive starters playing their defensive positions instead.  

As a outsider looking in for the last 13 years Hagar imo Vidor doesn’t have a “tradition” type pride issue, it’s well known the Pirates are proud to fight and play for JM. I think personally...... needs to get out of the slot T, it’s dead, it’s nearly useless against the competition that Vidor must face, they don’t play in a 3A district where it can work, sure Vidor runs it and some years are better than others but there isn’t much consistency in the wins.  Jeff made the statement he didn’t have the athleticism the other schools had, that was years ago, time to test the gene pool again see where the strengths are. When I was in school it was a bit of a joke when we played Vidor as every call was “run da ball!” Idk like I said just a outside opinion. 

It's not always about winning and losing the game. It's about winning outside of sports. Coach Mathews sees the bigger picture and that picture being 99.9% of high school kids are not going to see the next level. So he tries to instill discipline and a belief that hard work pays off. Coach Mathews would do anything and I mean anything for those young men and trust me they would go to battle for Coach Mathews everyday all day!

22 hours ago, Realville said:
22 minutes ago, Bulldogpower said:

As a outsider looking in for the last 13 years Hagar imo Vidor doesn’t have a “tradition” type pride issue, it’s well known the Pirates are proud to fight and play for JM. I think personally...... needs to get out of the slot T, it’s dead, it’s nearly useless against the competition that Vidor must face, they don’t play in a 3A district where it can work, sure Vidor runs it and some years are better than others but there isn’t much consistency in the wins.  Jeff made the statement he didn’t have the athleticism the other schools had, that was years ago, time to test the gene pool again see where the strengths are. When I was in school it was a bit of a joke when we played Vidor as every call was “run da ball!” Idk like I said just a outside opinion. 

You have a point but Calallen and Angleton would probably beat anyone in the area in the wing T. Cal brought the Wing T to state a few years ago and gave Aledo all they wanted. I think Vidor possibly don’t have the kids to run the Wing T to be successful to compete in 5a. Maybe a change at OC and keep Matthews at head coach would be enough.

23 minutes ago, Bulldogpower said:

Good points.  The Slot T doesn't have to be 98% run.  Passing can definitely be incorporated in that offense as other schools that run it have shown.  With just a 25%-75% pass/run ratio, defenses may think twice about having 11 men in the box..

7 minutes ago, Nolesfan98 said:

It's not always about winning and losing the game. It's about winning outside of sports. Coach Mathews sees the bigger picture and that picture being 99.9% of high school kids are not going to see the next level. So he tries to instill discipline and a belief that hard work pays off. Coach Mathews would do anything and I mean anything for those young men and trust me they would go to battle for Coach Mathews everyday all day!

It's true. One of my favorite things about him..from day one, his motto in the locker room has always been "Do right." ...he genuinely cares for the kids, and what they achieve beyond high school. The kids would go to war for him, because they know they can count on him to do the same. He doesn't just focus on making you a better athlete..but he also focuses on the mental toughness side of life, with making good decisions, giving back to community, and making you a better person in general. It's almost like being coached by Tony Robbins, Zig Ziglar, and Lou Holtz combined. I haven't been in that locker room in 16  years. He still greets me when we bump into each other, and asks me how life is going.

6 minutes ago, Tim Riggins said:

Good points.  The Slot T doesn't have to be 98% run.  Passing can definitely be incorporated in that offense as other schools that run it have shown.  With just a 25%-75% pass/run ratio, defenses may think twice about having 11 men in the box..

The best wing T team I’ve seen has to be Pleasant Grove. They fake run and pass. You have to be on your heels because the Qb is pump faking with ball and handing the ball off or vice or versa. I think that would open Vidor up a little. 

5 hours ago, TenaciousK said:

I am not questioning his ability as a motivator  or as a moral compass for the kids, its obvious he is very good at both.   My thing is as bulldogpower stated is being stubborn about the type of offense and defense that is run and not being open to changing or just modifying it.  We see it every two years, the teams that come into the district after realignment have some issues with it until they get used to it, but the teams such as Ned, PNG, Central that have seen it every year for the last 15 or so usually don't have as much trouble defending it.  The few exceptions have been the Quirante years and maybe one or two other years in the past.

24 minutes ago, bigdog said:

I am not questioning his ability as a motivator  or as a moral compass for the kids, its obvious he is very good at both.   My thing is as bulldogpower stated is being stubborn about the type of offense and defense that is run and not being open to changing or just modifying it.  We see it every two years, the teams that come into the district after realignment have some issues with it until they get used to it, but the teams such as Ned, PNG, Central that have seen it every year for the last 15 or so usually don't have as much trouble defending it.  The few exceptions have been the Quirante years and maybe one or two other years in the past.

I agree with you. I'm not married to this offense. It pains me to watch the same play. I remember when I first saw it, it was crazy. Seems like each back was picking up 6 or 7 yards per carry. It went inside, it went outside, it would be a QB sweep... it was a lot of misdirection. Doesn't seem to be the case this year. Every run seems to be inside. Don't know if it's because we don't have the speed to turn the corner or what.