Just saw this.  Mixed emotions.  They don’t have close to a #1 wr.  Cole and Hurns are serviceable #2s to me.   Question is whether you could get someone better with the pick (probably not in the college ranks) or via free agency.  I’m still not sold on Dak but this year’s QB class looks to be weak.  I say tank it up next year and get Tua.  

22 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Just saw this.  Mixed emotions.  They don’t have close to a #1 wr.  Cole and Hurns are serviceable #2s to me.   Question is whether you could get someone better with the pick (probably not in the college ranks) or via free agency.  I’m still not sold on Dak but this year’s QB class looks to be weak.  I say tank it up next year and get Tua.  

I gotta disagree. Amari Cooper is not a Top 20 WR, and Dallas gave a up a 1 for him. In a league that covets 1st Round picks, Dallas gave one away for a slightly above average wideout, in a year, they won't make the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

I gotta disagree. Amari Cooper is not a Top 20 WR, and Dallas gave a up a 1 for him.

He’s a top 20 talent.  Do we have any indication he will be better in Dallas?  Not only no, but probably not.  Question is whether there’s a better WR that would be available in college.  Probably none as good as Cooper was in college.  Because he’s still getting paid on a rookie contract. Definitely not saying this was a good trade.  But for a team desperate for a WR, I somewhat get it. 

37 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

He’s a top 20 talent.  Do we have any indication he will be better in Dallas?  Not only no, but probably not.  Question is whether there’s a better WR that would be available in college.  Probably none as good as Cooper was in college.  Because he’s still getting paid on a rookie contract. Definitely not saying this was a good trade.  But for a team desperate for a WR, I somewhat get it. 

Unless you think that Dallas is going on a run for the playoffs, and that they were one receiver away, it doesn't make sense. Oakland already picked up his option, he will be due 14 Million next year, which is like 4th highest paid WR in the league.

4 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Unless you think that Dallas is going on a run for the playoffs, and that they were one receiver away, it doesn't make sense. Oakland already picked up his option, he will be due 14 Million next year, which is like 4th highest paid WR in the league.

Just saw that part.  I’ve changed my stance from “I understand it” to let’s hope we get lucky.  Although I’m sure our GM extraordinaire believes we’re only one receiver away. 

The biggest problem is the one wearing the headset and the one taking snaps imo.   The shame is he could hire virtually any coach he wants but no coach worth his salt is going to want to put up with the GM.  And the GM is him.  So it’s a circular problem that is very hard to solve.  

I really wish the ghost of George Steinbrenner would haunt him and impart some wisdom.  I really do.  

6 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Just saw that part.  I’ve changed my stance from “I understand it” to let’s hope we get lucky.  Although I’m sure our GM extraordinaire believes we’re only one receiver away. 

The biggest problem is the one wearing the headset and the one taking snaps imo.   The shame is he could hire virtually any coach he wants but no coach worth his salt is going to want to put up with the GM.  And the GM is him.  So it’s a circular problem that is very hard to solve.  

I really wish the ghost of George Steinbrenner would haunt him and impart some wisdom.  I really do.  

Couldn't have said it better. 

30 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Shoulda just kept Dez.  We’re in the same situation now with Cooper that we were with him (quality #1 receiver and a qb that can’t get him the ball), only now short a first round pick. 

From everything I have seen, he is a class act guy with no distractions. At least that's better than Dez 

This one is simple. 

If Cooper produces, it's a good move.  If he doesn't, it's a bad move.  Hopefully he will demand coverage that will help free up others.  If that happens, the passing game gets better.  If the passing game gets better, Zeke and the O-line get better.  If all of that happens, the defense and the COWBOYS get better.  

Come on Amari Cooper!!!

1 hour ago, Ty Cobb said:

This one is simple. 

If Cooper produces, it's a good move.  If he doesn't, it's a bad move.  Hopefully he will demand coverage that will help free up others.  If that happens, the passing game gets better.  If the passing game gets better, Zeke and the O-line get better.  If all of that happens, the defense and the COWBOYS get better.  

Come on Amari Cooper!!!

What is, produces? If he puts up top 10 receiver numbers the rest of the way? If he catches a couple TD's?

For the price they paid (1st Rounder and 14 Million for next year). He is about to be the 4th highest paid WR in the league. That is what he should play like for this to be "a good move".

1 hour ago, Ty Cobb said:

This one is simple. 

Come on Amari Cooper!!!

I like the way you think. Don't listen to the haters. They have nothing better to do than meddle in other team's affairs instead of concerning themselves with why their team sucks and the moves they should be making. Of course that wouldn't be headline news. 

Every player is a wait and see. This is nothing new. This team has plenty of talent including Dak. They just need to be coached up?

14 minutes ago, baddog said:

I like the way you think. Don't listen to the haters. They have nothing better to do than meddle in other team's affairs instead of concerning themselves with why their team sucks and the moves they should be making. Of course that wouldn't be headline news. 

Every player is a wait and see. This is nothing new. This team has plenty of talent including Dak. They just need to be coached up?

The real question for Dallas is Dak. Next year will be his last season under contract. Should they pay him 25 Million a year, or set a new record and give him 30 million a year?

I have seen much worse happen in the NFL, like trading 5 starters and 8 draft picks for one player or trading away all of your draft picks for one player? How about $70 million for an unproven QB? I am the eternal fan and I know mistakes happen, but I will stick with Dak. He was who I wanted in the draft. If have to eat crow then so be it. I have tasted it before.

5 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

The real question for Dallas is Dak. Next year will be his last season under contract. Should they pay him 25 Million a year, or set a new record and give him 30 million a year?

No way he deserves to be paid 25 million a year. As of right now he is a middle of the pack QB. I truly hope that changes and he gets his money. I want to see the COWBOYS win another Super Bowl 

Dallas was going to get a WR in the draft regardless. Our scouting department which is the leagues best signed off on the trade and said it was great. He’s super young and already has 2 pro bowl years. Dallas is better with him then without him. 

Honestly who we’re we going to get in the draft? Not o line we are good, rb? Nope we got Zeke. D line? Naw we have plenty. Linebacker? Naw we are great young there? What about DB? Nope we are young there. You could make a case for safety but WR was more of a glaring need. We didn’t give Dak a true number 1 wr. Now we did, this is a show me deal. Dak has all the tools now to succeed and if he doesn’t, he’s not the guy and lets get someone else in here to lead this team. 

Cooper is younger then Calvin Ridley which I remember everyone on here was mad we didn’t get him. As well as look at Earl Thomas he’s a whole lot older. We are young people. Youngest team in the NFL. With amazing great players around 

Dak can throw the deep ball. I don't know where anyone got it that he can't. Let's remember that Brady's yardage stats are very inflated with the 3-5 yard "dinks" to Wes Welker. 

Now we have a true #1 receiver. Let's get the dang run game going and everything else falls into place.

Washington stacked the box and put 10 people in there and said dak you beat us through the air... our receivers couldn’t get off man coverage, only beasely could out the slot.

Cooper leads the leagues BEST of separation at 3.3 yards from defender. He will get open, he will help the run out. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dallas goes 4 wide and let Zeke eat out shotgun. He will do damage. And the run game will open up tremendously 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:30 PM, Tigers2010 said:

What is, produces? If he puts up top 10 receiver numbers the rest of the way? If he catches a couple TD's?

For the price they paid (1st Rounder and 14 Million for next year). He is about to be the 4th highest paid WR in the league. That is what he should play like for this to be "a good move".

Produces? Yeah, I understand what your saying. Putting up that 1st rounder for a WR, knowing about the failures of the past. When I first heard Cooper's name I was like alright he can help, then I seen the trade. Gees not again. We got WRs for the jump ball, Cooper will run routs and Cooper knows when to run what rout. If he can do that, that will be the difference. Hopefully he gets that separation also. Will he be good enough for the money I don't think well see this year, but next year who knows? Thing is we have been so close to win on the road, maybe Cooper will help get us over the hump. If he can help with that, that would definitely be producing and winning in the NFL is all that matters. We'll see?

What kills me is it took this long for management to figure out they need help at receiver.  I'd venture to say everyone on this board knew that when they cut Dez and Witten started talk retirement. Speaking of Witten, it may not be hard to lure him back on the field consider how his announcing is going.:)