21-5A predictions

Cleveland - Moving up from 4A to 5A could bring some growing pains. They came in last place in their 5 team district last year. Don’t know much about the talent they have there.

Dayton - Came in 5th place in a tough district last year, but took a big hit in losing their top guard to graduation, but will probably be one of the top teams in the new district.

Barbers Hill - After coming up one game shy of making it to state, it could be a rebuilding year for BH, losing The Gatorade Player of the Year and 6 other seniors is a lot to replace. I believe they have 3 girls returning that have more experience in the playoffs than anybody else in the district and a seasoned coach.

Nederland - Nederland plays other teams tough, just haven’t had a lot of girls with basketball experience. They should be young and hungry so watch out you never know.

Port Arthur Memorial - Have a strong core returning from last year including Div 1 post prospect who will be tough to defend. If the get good guard play will be tough to beat. I have them as the district favorites this year.

PNG - Have the entire team returning. If they continue to grow should be the first team in PNG school history to make the playoffs.

Vidor - Always a scrappy team, that plays with a lot of heart, could beat any team on any given night.

2 hours ago, OneChance said:

Cleveland - Moving up from 4A to 5A could bring some growing pains. They came in last place in their 5 team district last year. Don’t know much about the talent they have there.

Dayton - Came in 5th place in a tough district last year, but took a big hit in losing their top guard to graduation, but will probably be one of the top teams in the new district.

Barbers Hill - After coming up one game shy of making it to state, it could be a rebuilding year for BH, losing The Gatorade Player of the Year and 6 other seniors is a lot to replace. I believe they have 3 girls returning that have more experience in the playoffs than anybody else in the district and a seasoned coach.

Nederland - Nederland plays other teams tough, just haven’t had a lot of girls with basketball experience. They should be young and hungry so watch out you never know.

Port Arthur Memorial - Have a strong core returning from last year including Div 1 post prospect who will be tough to defend. If the get good guard play will be tough to beat. I have them as the district favorites this year.

PNG - Have the entire team returning. If they continue to grow should be the first team in PNG school history to make the playoffs.

Vidor - Always a scrappy team, that plays with a lot of heart, could beat any team on any given night.

Great write up.  I think it's Barbers Hill and everybody else until proven otherwise...

3 hours ago, OneChance said:

If this group can step up and play like they play in the 7th and 8th great pam will finish atleast 2nd. But you and me both know that this is the Achilles hill of the team. Julia knows she has to step up this year and make her presence known on the court if they want to make some noise.

I think Nederland will be much better this year our niece is a freshman guard over there she may be short but she can go with the beat if them.

Lumberton scrimmages at Barbers Hill on Tues (10/30) and will play Barbers Hill, Vidor, and Cleveland (among others) in the Lumberton Tip-Off Classic (11/8-11/10), so I will relay what I see in terms of where those 21-5A teams seem as play starts out.They also will be playing Orangefield, Tomball, and Westbrook at the Lumberton tournament. Should be good early season work for the overall young team the Raiders have at this point due to the previously mentioned graduations and "transfers" that One Chance has listed.

I didn’t make any predictions in this district and that was on purpose, lol. I sure hope we see PNG somewhere in that 4. It would be the first time in school history for them. When, I moved my daughter here in the 7th grade and I showed her how PNG girls basketball had never made the playoffs, I told her if she worked hard enough she could be part of something special at PNG girls basketball. She looked at me and said “my goal is to be a part of the first  girls basketball team to hang a banner up in the gym.” Well, she has worked hard so I personally would love to witness her fulfill that goal she made that day.

13 minutes ago, OneChance said:

I didn’t make any predictions in this district and that was on purpose, lol. I sure hope we see PNG somewhere in that 4. It would be the first time in school history for them. When, I moved my daughter here in the 7th grade and I showed her how PNG girls basketball had never made the playoffs, I told her if she worked hard enough she could be part of something special at PNG girls basketball. She looked at me and said “my goal is to be a part of the first  girls basketball team to hang a banner up in the gym.” Well, she has worked hard so I personally would love to witness her fulfill that goal she made that day.

That's good stuff right there!   Love it and hope it happens for ya'll.

• 3 months later...

Most of this preseason prognostication by many of these "experts" is primarily done off of "what a team did last year" and "what their reputation as a program" is. Speculative at best, because most don't follow programs to know who is lost to graduation, "transfer",  "I am going to go play sport "X" and not play basketball, or "I am quitting all sports because it is hard work", etc. No real knowledge of each program to make truly informed decisions.

In United's case, their really was no excuse for "experts" to have them rated as low as they were coming into that district, given the history of Ozen and their coach, and to a lesser extent, Central's success due to the coach that was there until Central was no more.

But hey it's just girls basketball.....

those TABC district picks are picked by the coaches in those districts....   each coach ranks... (not all turn in, so sometimes they are skewed)

As far as rankings, they are done by a guy who normally hasnt seen many play, but tries to do the best he can...   All he has to go off of is win or loss and vs who.   Where the game was played and final score doesnt have any bearing....

At the end of the day, the playoffs are the ultimate ranker!  Time for our area teams to go to work!