Devon McCain and Jordyn Adams

32 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Thought he was already committed to Baylor?

He was and decommitted some time ago.  Not sure the circumstances but was not related to any of the issues mentioned here from what I understand.  One thing that should be kept in mind is that offers given when kids are underclassmen are more “offers” with emphasis on quotation marks.  Coaches may be counting on a certain amount of development, growth, etc.  This is in no way a comment on Jordyn’s situation - he has committed to Austin Peay and I’m sure he will have success there and has the opportunity to get a great education there for free.   A big congrats to him.  

My understanding is that Devon has an OV scheduled with Austin Peay in a couple of weeks and it is a down to and Univ. of New Orleans.  Most probably are thinking he will end up at AP as well.  Kudos to Coach Sless at UNO for continuing to recruit SETX hard and has had some success here (Weisbrod, Zeno).  

I know with McCain, he was projected high D1 at times and I still think he has that kind of talent.  Performances like he had in the championship game last year are next level stuff.   Most kids aren’t even capable of pulling that out of their bag.  I know the “incident” is what most people think has hurt him and if probably didn’t help.  But he’s a big hearted kid from what I know of him and a lot of kids make a mistake.  The biggest drawback from my discussions with guys at the next level is that they never got to see him compete, especially last summer, against the top national players.  And like it or not, big time scholarships are earned in this day and age between April and July, not November and March.  

13 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

He was and decommitted some time ago.  Not sure the circumstances but was not related to any of the issues mentioned here from what I understand.  One thing that should be kept in mind is that offers given when kids are underclassmen are more “offers” with emphasis on quotation marks.  Coaches may be counting on a certain amount of development, growth, etc.  This is in no way a comment on Jordyn’s situation - he has committed to Austin Peay and I’m sure he will have success there and has the opportunity to get a great education there for free.   A big congrats to him.  

My understanding is that Devon has an OV scheduled with Austin Peay in a couple of weeks and it is a down to and Univ. of New Orleans.  Most probably are thinking he will end up at AP as well.  Kudos to Coach Sless at UNO for continuing to recruit SETX hard and has had some success here (Weisbrod, Zeno).  

I know with McCain, he was projected high D1 at times and I still think he has that kind of talent.  Performances like he had in the championship game last year are next level stuff.   Most kids aren’t even capable of pulling that out of their bag.  I know the “incident” is what most people think has hurt him and if probably didn’t help.  But he’s a big hearted kid from what I know of him and a lot of kids make a mistake.  The biggest drawback from my discussions with guys at the next level is that they never got to see him compete, especially last summer, against the top national players.  And like it or not, big time scholarships are earned in this day and age between April and July, not November and March.  

Very good insight. It's crazy they haven't got to see him play. I don't see how, doesn't Silsbee play in some big time tournaments? State 3 years in a row. They living under rocks? lol

14 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Very good insight. It's crazy they haven't got to see him play. I don't see how, doesn't Silsbee play in some big time tournaments? State 3 years in a row. They living under rocks? lol

Well why this is true, during the regular season college coaches are more trying to secure commitments from guys they have already been recruiting. Also, like hoops said Devon didn’t play on a shoe circuit this summer, or the previous two from what I know and that is where guys will get all of their power 5 conference offers from. I think both definitely have power 5 talent, but sometimes the cards don’t fall into place. 

8 minutes ago, Tyler Dixson said:

Well why this is true, during the regular season college coaches are more trying to secure commitments from guys they have already been recruiting. Also, like hoops said Devon didn’t play on a shoe circuit this summer, or the previous two from what I know and that is where guys will get all of their power 5 conference offers from. I think both definitely have power 5 talent, but sometimes the cards don’t fall into place. 

Ahh. I got you.

12 minutes ago, Who That said:

Devon is the highest scoring baller in a 4A State Championship game in the  big ow state of Texas. Don't think people don't know who he is lol . But we talk about these too young men don't forget about little ow BraBra" Bush...lol His offers will probably get Crazy as they come..:)

Wait, is this Bush's mom? 

21 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

One, when school ball is in full swing, so is the college season.   Coaches may visit and catch a game here and there, but that is primarily in an attempt to secure/keep a commitment, not for evaluation.  They want to see a potential power 5 kid play against other power 5 type talent.  The best place to do this is in the late spring and summer, when their seasons are over and the sneaker circuits are in full swing.  I believe McCain has that type of talent, but a coach might be less willing to gamble until he’s seen that talent “translate” with his own eyes.  

On 10/19/2018 at 1:13 PM, TxHoops said:

One, when school ball is in full swing, so is the college season.   Coaches may visit and catch a game here and there, but that is primarily in an attempt to secure/keep a commitment, not for evaluation.  They want to see a potential power 5 kid play against other power 5 type talent.  The best place to do this is in the late spring and summer, when their seasons are over and the sneaker circuits are in full swing.  I believe McCain has that type of talent, but a coach might be less willing to gamble until he’s seen that talent “translate” with his own eyes.  

I don’t think ppl really understand what happens with recruiting . Some think because a kid is good in high school it will translate to college & that’s further from the truth. Devon has high major talent but playing high school ball won’t cut it. There a million kids with his numbers and better.(no knock on him). Will his game translate to the next level we will see coach’s want to win numbers one or they get fired. Character is everything is this game believe that .

The odds of kids making the NBA are next to impossible. If you go around the NBA, you will se that 70% of the NBA are former High School All Americans with a few foreign guys and late bloomers sprinkled in. Going to college and playing ball and getting a free education is absolutely awesome as well. That means you have a chance to get a free education and start off almost debt free after college.

On 10/21/2018 at 9:07 PM, BlkMamba24 said:

I don’t think ppl really understand what happens with recruiting . Some think because a kid is good in high school it will translate to college & that’s further from the truth. Devon has high major talent but playing high school ball won’t cut it. There a million kids with his numbers and better.(no knock on him). Will his game translate to the next level we will see coach’s want to win numbers one or they get fired. Character is everything is this game believe that .

Exactly.  Character means alot!  But there is one thing that I do know,  if you have the talent, they will FIND YOU!  

3 hours ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

TAnd stop listening to people who think they know where you "fit in."

This is an area I believe recruits should listen to what you have to say.  I know your son transferred and am in no way digging for a reason.  But that gives you recent insight into not only the recruiting process but also seeing that initial choice not working out.