Best Meal in Area Restaurant

Hagar

15 hours ago, tvc184 said:

If you like those kinds of links, venture on over to Gerard’s just a few blocks away on Fannett Rd just past Beaumont United (formerly Ozen) campus. 

From the early 60’s to maybe mid-80’s I was a big Patillo’s fan but when the old family died off, I don’t find the output is nearly as good as Gerard’s. 

My all time favorite on Links or brisket was Deans which use to be on Grand, then built a new place on Magnolia, before going out of business.  Like you say about Patillos, when old family had it on Grand, it was perfection.  Went down a tad when son took over, but still great.  When he couldn’t run it anymore, no one else wanted to step up.  Absolutely, hands down, the best bbq sauce I’ve ever tasted, by far.  I went into Deans at 5 or 6 with my Dad to get bbq.  In those days, when we got home, you take a slice of bread & a fork to pierce the links. They’d be swollen up, about to burst.  I remember the grease sailing over a foot high before, thus the slice of bread as a shield, much like Capt Kirk for the Enterprise.  I’d mix a little sauce with the grease and sop it up with my “shield”.  And that has absolutely nothing to do with my high cholesterol, bp, or carotid being 50% blocked lol.

5 minutes ago, Hagar said:

My all time favorite on Links or brisket was Deans which use to be on Grand, then built a new place on Magnolia, before going out of business.  Like you say about Patillos, when old family had it on Grand, it was perfection.  Went down a tad when son took over, but still great.  When he couldn’t run it anymore, no one else wanted to step up.  Absolutely, hands down, the best bbq sauce I’ve ever tasted, by far.  I went into Deans at 5 or 6 with my Dad to get bbq.  In those days, when we got home, you take a slice of bread & a fork to pierce the links. They’d be swollen up, about to burst.  I remember the grease sailing over a foot high before, thus the slice of bread as a shield, much like Capt Kirk for the Enterprise.  I’d mix a little sauce with the grease and sop it up with my “shield”.  And that has absolutely nothing to do with my high cholesterol, bp, or carotid being 50% blocked lol.

I believe that they used to call those Beaumont style links, grease bombs. 

41 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

I believe that they used to call those Beaumont style links, grease bombs. 

Lol, it was an appropriate name. 

You've brought up a good point/question I’ve always wondered.  Most sell sausage as links, but a Beaumont Link is unique.  I’ve never seen, or heard, of one anywhere else (although Broussard’s on 11th & Wash Blvd has a place in Houston now).  And now that most try to eat a little more healthy, I’m not sure they’d be well received.  I don’t eat them often anymore, but still have to have one every now and then.  It’s called quality of life. 

Question for anyone who’s ever ate a Beaumont “grease bomb” style link from Deans, Patillos, Gerard’s, or Broussards.  Have any of you ever bought one outside this immediate area?  

One more story I’ll tell.  We were getting together with my sons family (he grew up on Deans links) in Porter & he wanted some links & bbq.  We got 3 or 4, and bought some recommended bbq, that I found very disappointing, flavor wise.  We put it all in a big aluminum pan, with the links cut in half.  I was aggravated about the bbq though.  By the time we got together, and reheated everything, the grease and flavor of those links had turned the bbq into something infinitely better, and the meal was a success.  

I have read that a guy in Houston but grew up in Beaumont makes that style of links. 

Gerard’s also makes Patillo’s style bbq sauce. I think there have been many sleepless nights trying to figure out Jack Patillo’s original recipe. They claim to still make it but I think it has a lot more instant mix than the original. Gerard’s make a pretty good facsimile of the original. 

14 minutes ago, baddog said:

OMG. Where u was a kid, my dad would take us to Dean's on Grand and buy a Quart of Bbq sauce. They also did our Thanksgiving turkey. Yes, we stood in line for that stuff. After the move to Magnolia, they suffered the same fate as Patillo's

Also in the same area was Simpson’s BBQ that my grandfather liked to go to. 

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

Also in the same area was Simpson’s BBQ that my grandfather liked to go to. 

My post is supposed to read “when I was a kid”.

Simpson's sounds familiar but I can't recall where they were located.

Side note: The best Patillo's was on Railroad Avenue @ College St.

On 11/4/2018 at 1:21 PM, baddog said:

OMG. Where u was a kid, my dad would take us to Dean's on Grand and buy a Quart of Bbq sauce. They also did our Thanksgiving turkey. Yes, we stood in line for that stuff. After the move to Magnolia, they suffered the same fate as Patillo's

Deans sauce was the BEST.  If his young relatives had had any sense, they’d bottled that stuff to sale in stores.  Had a friend that did a lot of deer hunting.  He’d give me two deer hams/roast, and I’d take them to Deans and pay for the cooking.  When they got thru, you could almost cut’em with a fork.  Bet they done those turkeys proud.  

9 hours ago, Hagar said:

Deans sauce was the BEST.  If his young relatives had had any sense, they’d bottled that stuff to sale in stores.  Had a friend that did a lot of deer hunting.  He’d give me two deer hams/roast, and I’d take them to Deans and pay for the cooking.  When they got thru, you could almost cut’em with a fork.  Bet they done those turkeys proud.  

Yes sir. If you wanted a Dean's Turkey, you had to let them have it early. There was a huge demand for that hole-in-the-wall business. You are right. They could have sold that stuff in stores but he did alright the way it was. “Cook it good and they will come”. Best ad for a business is word of mouth, or message boards. Lol

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On August 26, 2019 at 6:10 PM, baddog said:

If you are a pizza lover, try the Brick Oven. I am addicted. Ice cold Michelob Ultra in a frozen mug and a medium supreme pizza. So good in so many ways.

Bingo.  It's ironic you & I like the same type foods.  Their pizza is the best I've ate around here.  And that Michelob Ultra usually has a thin film of ice on top.  Heaven, pure heaven.  

3 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Bingo.  It's ironic you & I like the same type foods.  Their pizza is the best I've ate around here.  And that Michelob Ultra usually has a thin film of ice on top.  Heaven, pure heaven.  

No exaggeration here. My Michelob had a thin, vertical sheet of ice float up past the foam about two inches. It looked so good that the guy serving us looked like he wanted one. Lol. We’ve eaten there so much that the servers already know to get me a Michelob. Like you said.....pure heaven.

1 minute ago, baddog said:

No exaggeration here. My Michelob had a thin, vertical sheet of ice float up past the foam about two inches. It looked so good that the guy serving us looked like he wanted one. Lol. We’ve eaten there so much that the servers already know to get me a Michelob. Like you said.....pure heaven.

My G'daughter serves at the one in Ltown, which cost me an extra $20 in tips 😂😂😂

On 9/13/2019 at 10:38 AM, Hagar said:

Better than Domino’s deep dish?

Hmmmmmm.....

9 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Better than Domino’s deep dish?

Hmmmmmm.....

Never tried Dominos deep dish.  All I’ve ever gotten from Dominoes is a paper thin pizza, usually dried out, with the toppings in the middle and over an inch on the outside with none.  But I do like a good pizza, so I’ll give it a go.  Deep dish sounds intriguing.  Btw, have you tried Brick Oven?   One of us needs to try both to compare the two.  If you like meat, get the Bubbas.  Has Italian sausage, Reg sausage, Pepperoni, ground beef, and ham (I substitute bacon for ham).  

9 hours ago, Hagar said:

Never tried Dominos deep dish.  All I’ve ever gotten from Dominoes is a paper thin pizza, usually dried out, with the toppings in the middle and over an inch on the outside with none.  But I do like a good pizza, so I’ll give it a go.  Deep dish sounds intriguing.  Btw, have you tried Brick Oven?   One of us needs to try both to compare the two.  If you like meat, get the Bubbas.  Has Italian sausage, Reg sausage, Pepperoni, ground beef, and ham (I substitute bacon for ham).  

Not yet but maybe as soon as tomorrow.