CROSBY FOOTBALL/ATHLETICS

KF89

4 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

I am not talking coaches down. Lol trust me, I know the time they put in, which is why you don't see many Coordinators or Head Coaches teaching Math or English.

My daughter has several coaches this year for classes. Her history teacher is one. Toughest class on her schedule. That coach doesn't mess around. Very good teacher.

Re: 100+ teachers and/or coaches being laid off. This is why I never judge coaches for leaving schools for better opportunities. People have to worry about their own families and prospects. When the coaches and the schools negotiate, they do so at arm's length, and nothing is expected from either party beyond fulfillment of that contract. Schools (college and high schools) burn their employees all the time, either through mismanagement, or just plain stupidity. If a coach has a couple bad years, everyone is calling for their job. But we are often much more ready to condemn coaches when they choose go somewhere else, as if they have "let down the kids," or the school, or the community, etc. If a coach or a teacher thinks they have a better chance to succeed somewhere else, even if it is only because they think they can get more money, I say more power to them -- For all they know their school will be bankrupt next year. 

My point was, someone made the comment of their Head Baseball coach teaching a CORE subject. I just said that is rare because most OCs/DCs and Head Coaches do not teach a CORE (Math, Science, English, Social Studies) class. History maybe, but that is on the verge of non-Core class anyway. It is extremely rare for OC/DC, Head Coach to teach Math, Science, or English.

12 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

My point was, someone made the comment of their Head Baseball coach teaching a CORE subject. I just said that is rare because most OCs/DCs and Head Coaches do not teach a CORE (Math, Science, English, Social Studies) class. History maybe, but that is on the verge of non-Core class anyway. It is extremely rare for OC/DC, Head Coach to teach Math, Science, or English.

I'm looking down our teacher list and I see a lot of ours are History (Social Studies, World Geography) teachers...lol  With the exception of a few. I know Math teachers at the highschool offer before and after tutoring in their classrooms. That would be kind of hard for a Coach to do. Some of the English teachers do as well.

12 minutes ago, NDNation said:

I'm looking down our teacher list and I see a lot of ours are History (Social Studies, World Geography) teachers...lol  With the exception of a few. I know Math teachers at the highschool offer before and after tutoring in their classrooms. That would be kind of hard for a Coach to do. Some of the English teachers do as well.

Yup, many many coaches teach History. That is everywhere. History is also the red-headed step child of the CORE Subject family tree, some argue for that reason. There is legislation in the last couple years to do away with the State Test (STAAR) for History. 

1 hour ago, Tigers2010 said:

I would agree with you about OC/DC usually not teaching CORE subjects(they have so much on their plate. Also we live in Texas where football is king); however most head coaches of other sports usually do teach core. especially at most schools from 4A down

10 minutes ago, hitman009 said:

I would agree with you about OC/DC usually not teaching CORE subjects(they have so much on their plate. Also we live in Texas where football is king); however most head coaches of other sports usually do teach core. especially at most schools from 4A down

We must not be on the same page on what CORE classes are. CORE is Math, English, Science, and History. I know very few head baseball coaches that teach Math, Science, or English. Same for basketball coaches. History on the other hand, is a coaches best friend. 

1 hour ago, Tigers2010 said:

We must not be on the same page on what CORE classes are. CORE is Math, English, Science, and History. I know very few head baseball coaches that teach Math, Science, or English. Same for basketball coaches. History on the other hand, is a coaches best friend. 

I kinda got the inside tract on this subject. I know what CORE is. You must be thinking old school. I know a lot of head coaches that teach core classes. Walton may teach PE at West Brook, but that is at a 6A school and he has been there for over a decade. Most head coaches at other school teach CORE subjects. I'm one of them.  

You are right about history being a coaches best friend. Many coaches teach it. when they leave it is usually the subject that opens up... which is why many head coaches still teach CORE classes.

18 minutes ago, KF89 said:

Nederland head baseball coach teaches math. Always tutoring any kids that need help,before,during & after school 

Yeah, I had one of the coaches for Algebra back in the day.  He is retired now but still remembers me being in his class.  (not sure if that is good or bad. :) )

55 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Read chapter 12..test Monday..lol

20 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

Both our Baseball Coaches Teach core subjects. 

Our Girls B-Ball Coach was an SS Curriculum coordinator 

Our Softball Coach/D Line/ Linebackers coach is an ICS Teacher and is in all the core subjects. 

Our Soccer/Cross country coach teaches an AP course and has for like 15 years. 

Our QB Coach teaches Math (Younger Riordan.) 

We have a lot of good teachers that are coaches in CISD. 

The majority of our coaches are in core subjects