PNG@Dayton

Indianforever

20 minutes ago, NDNation said:

Did Crosby have to punt at all??? That's what scares me. How are we doing on injuries?? I know #9 and #5 are out. Also saw a couple come off the field in the Crosby game.

Yeah first drive

Also on the punt return TD by Ceja

Maybe once more but Christ they should have had more. Coker had grease on him because we had the kid for sacks 2-3 times only for him to slip away. That is what worries me. Tackling was definitely not the best but hey its always been that way and doesn't look like that is changing. Since we know we cant tackle, why not scheme to put us in better position to make the play.

3 man rush doesn't help a team that can't cover. Its why the same issues from almost a decade ago persists.  Also in run support the outside LBs & Cbs have to help more setting the edge for containment. Too many times they would bounce outside the tackle and have no one there until a safety came down.

20 minutes ago, NDNation said:

Did Crosby have to punt at all??? That's what scares me. How are we doing on injuries?? I know #9 and #5 are out. Also saw a couple come off the field in the Crosby game.

I think Crosby must have punted in their first series, because we scored first and they had the ball first. I'm not aware of PNG getting any interceptions or fumbles. Crosby's QB completed just about everything he let out of his hand. He is going to a ridiculously good QB, already is a really good QB. I think he is a sophomore, but I might be wrong. Our defense did enough to win (that is, slow them down a little bit), but we are going to have be much better. I think, in our defense (no pun intended), defenses across the state have gotten worse. Look at the Big 12, which is populated with hundreds of Texas players, and look at how bad the defenses have been over the last several years. Some of that is a function of how hard the spread is to cover for high school kids -- It requires a very technical, smart approach to defense. Some of that might be a function of where teams are choosing to put their best personnel. In any case, teams with good defenses are rare. Very rare. West Orange is the only team I can think of off the top of my head with a consistently good defense. PAM usually has a solid defense. Everyone else has a vulnerable defense. I don't know how to fix it, and I certainly wouldn't know how to coach it. 

8 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I think Crosby must have punted in their first series, because we scored first and they had the ball first. I'm not aware of PNG getting any interceptions or fumbles. Crosby's QB completed just about everything he let out of his hand. He is going to a ridiculously good QB, already is a really good QB. I think he is a sophomore, but I might be wrong. Our defense did enough to win (that is, slow them down a little bit), but we are going to have be much better. I think, in our defense (no pun intended), defenses across the state have gotten worse. Look at the Big 12, which is populated with hundreds of Texas players, and look at how bad the defenses have been over the last several years. Some of that is a function of how hard the spread is to cover for high school kids -- It requires a very technical, smart approach to defense. Some of that might be a function of where teams are choosing to put their best personnel. In any case, teams with good defenses are rare. Very rare. West Orange is the only team I can think of off the top of my head with a consistently good defense. PAM usually has a solid defense. Everyone else has a vulnerable defense. I don't know how to fix it, and I certainly wouldn't know how to coach it. 

I would take a Nederland level D.  Doesn't have to be Pam or WOS level.  At the very least Ned can tackle, cause turnovers and scrap. We have hours upon hours of examples of what works from playing them. Similar athletes from a school with similar demographics. No way I wouldn't have taken a few concepts by now and made them my own.

6 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

I would take a Nederland level D.  Doesn't have to be Pam or WOS level.  At the very least Ned can tackle, cause turnovers and scrap. We have hours upon hours of examples of what works from playing them. Similar athletes from a school with similar demographics. No way I wouldn't have taken a few concepts by now and made them my own.

100% agree -- I hadn't ever thought of it, but let's just have a D as good as Nederland's. We have a really good offense. Our offense, year in and year out, can score on most teams in the state. Let's have a D like Nederland. This is one of the more insightful observations I've read on this site. 

It will all come down to the PNG D, plain and simple, Dayton can be held to zero it’s possible, we had them 35-0 at the half and the starters had the night off after that,  which allowed Dayton to score 20 points and that was all she wrote, the coaching staff better focus on defense this week, shove it down their throat, make them eat it three times a day, If they want to win the defense better shine. 

11 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

100% agree -- I hadn't ever thought of it, but let's just have a D as good as Nederland's. We have a really good offense. Our offense, year in and year out, can score on most teams in the state. Let's have a D like Nederland. This is one of the more insightful observations I've read on this site. 

Yeah, our offense can score with most teams. Nederland is a squad that can get you a few three and outs and hold the game close enough, and with Shug plus the receivers of the past 2-3 years, that is all we needed. We drop 40 points in playoff losses! 40 in a loss! If we could get teams off the field, alot of those games, especially against CS are different.

22 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

You see this a lot in the recruiting at the college level.

When the spread became the norm in Texas, we stopped producing top quality defensive linemen at the same level as other states that haven't embraced it. If you look at a map of where the best defensive linemen in the country come from, the top producing states are all in SEC country, where we still play 'grown man football' from Pop Warner to the pros, followed by the B1G states. Texas produces some incredible quarterbacks and players at the skills positions, but we just don't shell out a lot of super talented players on the D-Line. We do put up a lot of talent in our secondaries (I can't be a good Alabama fan and forget the likes of Tony Brown and Deionte Thompson), but that's also a product of a state where pass-prolific offenses reign supreme.

Southeast Texas is a little bit of an exception to the rule with the likes of WO-S and Nederland. But Faircloth's not a product of the Golden Triangle football academy. He cut his teeth at places like Odessa Permian, where Mack Brown's spread offense is the law of the land.

For what it's worth, I'm hopeful Jimbo Fisher will change some of that. But if he does, it'll take a while.

4 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

We may be on to something. Perhaps a video is what is needed to bring about the changes lol  In all seriousness, this is still hilarious

We have friends with kids on D. And Im not trying to pick on kids..lol But if one was my kid...I would be making a highlight reel and we would be laughing at it together. You just can't make that stuff up..lol

6 minutes ago, NDNation said:

We have friends with kids on D. And Im not trying to pick on kids..lol But if one was my kid...I would be making a highlight reel and we would be laughing at it together. You just can't make that stuff up..lol

Yeah They are gonna grow up and laugh. Im sure some of them are under the breath already when watching film in practice. I just hope they continue to take steps to improve innovate

20 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

Yeah They are gonna grow up and laugh. Im sure some of them are under the breath already when watching film in practice. I just hope they continue to take steps to improve innovate

28 minutes ago, NDNation said:

Say no more.

Done.

9 minutes ago, Jack Da Rabbit said:

Say no more.

Done.

35 minutes ago, NDNation said:

run away oh my GIF by Miles Brown

Aww crap. Now I feel partially responsible....

24 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Yeah, I have noticed the last couple of years.

Just a football fan. I could honestly make the same video about WB. Yall have the same formula as png, explosive offense with incredibly suspect D. And i have read the WB threads. Yall have similar complaints on D in the same time period.