Port Neches-Groves 48 Crosby 45/FINAL

prepballfan

3 hours ago, CougarCal said:

He said he was watching on FB, I figured you were streaming.  I kept talking him off the ledge, kept saying you’re gonna be fine, you’re gonna get the ball last lol.  

Yup i was live ran out of battery about 10 mins left forgot my backip charger lol

I’m too lazy to read posts so this may have been said already. 

PNG thank you! The donation was classy.  

Good Game!  Congrats to PNG!

IMO our coach gets out coached by yours the last two times. I don’t want to talk about clock management...smh

People say defense has to improve and again IMO our defense did enough to win. They got the interception & a punt. 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, bronco pride said:

That kid Marshall picked up at QB is a stud. They beat a Manvel without him so I would think with him they put up 70. Watched his highlights and he is Shug if Shug ran a 4.3. 

This kid from Marshall is more Deshaun Watson and has a good chance of being drafted into the NFL, RJ is more Jerrod Heard and might not even finish his career at QB. Amazing runner but he will struggle to throw the ball accurately in smaller windows at the next level, he hasn't improved throwing the ball from the pocket since his sophomore year. In high school he's extremely hard to defend because you have to legitimately play the run when they're trying to convert on 4th and 10. In college you're going to have to go through a progression which RJ still struggles with because there's always the option to pull it down and get what you need in high school. Hornsby is probably the best pro qb prospect coming out of high school since Luck.  

It looks like Hornsby will go to A&M but now he's going to have to deal with Hudson Card who is another Austin area golden child like Ehlinger coming in one year behind him. I don't think he will be allowed time like VY to come in and develop his passing skills sitting behind a Chris Simms without being pushed by some of the other stud qbs in the room. Then again he could get there and they change the offense to accommodate him?    

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:00 PM, NDNation said:

During Crosby's last drive, I was panicking. No way we were stopping them, and it was just drawing out, a few yards at a time and eating up clock.. let them score already!!!! Thankfully there was just enough time left. 

Yeah, couldn't understand that either. It was clear PNG wasn't going to stop Crosby running the ball late, I was wondering why we were still snapping the ball with 25+ seconds left on the play clock.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:17 PM, Realville said:

Good Ole Karma!! Gotta Love It! “Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit before a Fall” Proverbs 16:18  An everyone said AMEN!  I have a PayPal account if y’all would like me to pass around the offering plate. 

I agree. Vidor's past actions/views/comments are the reason FEMA is the only reason that keeps God from wiping it off the map. The trailer parks are even frozen in time like Lot's wife when she turned around to see the destruction happening to Sodom and Gomorrah.

22 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

This kid from Marshall is more Deshaun Watson and has a good chance of being drafted into the NFL, RJ is more Jerrod Heard and might not even finish his career at QB. Amazing runner but he will struggle to throw the ball accurately in smaller windows at the next level, he hasn't improved throwing the ball from the pocket since his sophomore year. In high school he's extremely hard to defend because you have to legitimately play the run when they're trying to convert on 4th and 10. In college you're going to have to go through a progression which RJ still struggles with because there's always the option to pull it down and get what you need in high school. Hornsby is probably the best pro qb prospect coming out of high school since Luck.  

It looks like Hornsby will go to A&M but now he's going to have to deal with Hudson Card who is another Austin area golden child like Ehlinger coming in one year behind him. I don't think he will be allowed time like VY to come in and develop his passing skills sitting behind a Chris Simms without being pushed by some of the other stud qbs in the room. Then again he could get there and they change the offense to accommodate him?    

No one on earth believes that Hornsby is the best pro prospect since Luck! NCAA just took in guys like Justin Fields, J.T. Daniels, Trevor Lawrence, and Dorian Thompson Robinson just last class who were all more highly regarded. DJ Uiagalelei is UNIVERSALLY regarded as the best Qb in the class of 2020 with Hornsby. Hudson Card is already a Texas commit so he wouldn't be at A&M anyway. Hornsby would have all the time he needs to develop there at A&M because they have no one, which is why Mond starts! What are you talking about? All this information can be googled man. You really have no clue about what you talk about and have all the information literally in a phone or computer right in front of you. Heard had way less responsibility in play calling, and overall knowledge of an O than Roschon has ever had and is only comparable by being black and having the ability to run. You sound butthurt bro. 

9 minutes ago, WHO DAT???? said:

No one on earth believes that Hornsby is the best pro prospect since Luck! NCAA just took in guys like Justin Fields, J.T. Daniels, Trevor Lawrence, and Dorian Thompson Robinson just last class who were all more highly regarded. DJ Uiagalelei is UNIVERSALLY regarded as the best Qb in the class of 2020 with Hornsby. Hudson Card is already a Texas commit so he wouldn't be at A&M anyway. Hornsby would have all the time he needs to develop there at A&M because they have no one, which is why Mond starts! What are you talking about? All this information can be googled man. You really have no clue about what you talk about and have all the information literally in a phone or computer right in front of you. Heard had way less responsibility in play calling, and overall knowledge of an O than Roschon has ever had and is only comparable by being black and having the ability to run. You sound butthurt bro. 

Ohhh you done it now. Just wait until he responds lol

39 minutes ago, WHO DAT???? said:

You must not have read anything I said? I just said Card is committed to Texas and is another Austin area golden child like Ehlinger. I said Hornsby was the best prospect out of the state since Luck, none of those other guys are from Texas. Mond is already a sophomore and Hornsby doesn't enroll until 2020, if Foster turns into a player there's no guarantee Hornsby gets any time to develop before he may transfer since they would be so close in age. Like you said, all this information can be googled so why you're so far off on your post is odd?

Head didn't call plays for Guyer and RJ looks to the sideline before every snap to get a play signaled in so he doesn't call them either, I have no idea what you are talking about as far as offensive knowledge? Heard started more games on a back to back state championship Guyer team than RJ will ever have a chance to. RJ is still an RPO qb that relies on running after making a single read. PNG runs the exact same offense as Dayton except with a better qb.

Being black and having the ability to run is a good comparison, it's the reason about 70% of overall NFL players are black but only about 19% of starting NFL qbs are.

15 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

You must not have read anything I said? I just said Card is committed to Texas and is another Austin area golden child like Ehlinger. I said Hornsby was the best prospect out of the state since Luck, none of those other guys are from Texas. Mond is already a sophomore and Hornsby doesn't enroll until 2020, is Foster turns into a player there's not guarantee Hornsby gets any time to develop before he may transfer since they would be so close in age. Like you said, all this information can be googled so why you so far off on your post is odd?

Head didn't call plays for Guyer and RJ looks to the sideline before every snap to get a play signaled in so he doesn't call them either, I have no idea what you are talking about as far as offensive knowledge? Heard started more games on a back to back state championship Guyer team than RJ will ever have a chance to. RJ is still an RPO qb that relies on running after making a single read. PNG runs the exact same offense as Dayton except with a better qb.

Being black and having the ability to run is a good comparison, it's the reason about 70% of overall NFL players are black but only about 19% of starting NFL qbs are.

Well for one, neither of them would call plays because neither is a coach. Since I was one, I'll break it down.

Here’s a quick breakdown of how PN-G’s offense is hard-wired:

- Identity: Play fast, play physical, protect the football
– West Coast philosophy: high percentage passing (quick screens/quick passes); QB progression/3-step drop
– Downhill run game: Power, counter, iso, Buck Sweep

– Multiple personnel groups and formations with balanced 50/50 run/pass split.
– Lots of shifting and motioning to hide intentions but still keep things simple for the offensive line.
– RPO’s and RRO’s (inside run, outside run, option)
– Won’t run what’s on your scout card.
– Sequential Football: For every motion and every shift there is a run, pass, draw, screen, reverse, and trick in the quiver. After a run or pass is used in a game they build off of it. Everything is a setup. Build stuff off of stuff.

The comparison between Johnson and Heard (or any run-first dual) really breaks down at this point. Heard was more ZR, ZR, ZR, play action over the top. Johnson has considerably more on his plate and he understands it at a very high level. He hardly ever takes his eyes off the downfield recievers and it shows on his Winning TD pass against who else but CROSBY!  I could underline this point further but don’t want to reveal some things that might help PN-G’s opponents.

Do you understand any of this or is it too much for your meat head.

6 minutes ago, WHO DAT???? said:

RJ is given two plays and makes the call at the line. That what Im talking about. Rj has the option of altering the play. Thats what Im talking about.

Yeah, and so does damn near every qb in the state who runs a fast paced spread offense. I never saw him audible out of anything that was signaled in from the sideline. Either way "Check with me's" at the line of scrimmage in fast paced offenses are as common as changing the snap count. RJ's two plays are probably "run the play that's called or run it myself", that's nothing like what Card does at Lake Travis.  

19 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Yeah, and so does damn near every qb in the state who runs a fast paced spread offense. I never saw him audible out of anything that was signaled in from the sideline. Either way "Check with me's" at the line of scrimmage in fast paced offenses are as common as changing the snap count. RJ's two plays are probably "run the play that's called or run it myself", that's nothing like what Card does at Lake Travis.  

Would you care to address what I said above your last post? Ill copy it here

Well for one, neither of them would call plays because neither is a coach. Since I was one, I'll break it down.

– West Coast philosophy: high percentage passing (quick screens/quick passes); QB progression/3-step drop

– Lots of shifting and motioning to hide intentions but still keep things simple for the offensive line.
– Sequential Football: For every motion and every shift there is a run, pass, draw, screen, reverse, and trick in the quiver. After a run or pass is used in a game they build off of it. Everything is a setup. Build stuff off of stuff.

The comparison between Johnson and Heard (or any run-first dual) really breaks down at this point. Heard was more ZR, ZR, ZR, play action over the top. Johnson has considerably more on his plate and he understands it at a very high level. He hardly ever takes his eyes off the downfield recievers and it shows on his Winning TD pass against who else but CROSBY!  I could underline this point further but don’t want to reveal some things that might help PN-G’s opponents.

Lake travis is a horrible comparison, they are a 6a with talent all over the place to run what they want. Roschon aint throwing to the #1 WR in the country

35 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

25 minutes ago, WHO DAT???? said:

Lake travis is a horrible comparison, they are a 6a with talent all over the place to run what they want. Roschon aint throwing to the #1 WR in the country

Dang, this is getting interesting!!!!!!!

27 minutes ago, WHO DAT???? said:

WOS probably has to lowest education standards of any team covered on this board, odd someone from there would be calling anybody else a "meat head". Obviously if you "were" a coach you weren't a very good one if you couldn't sustain a living doing it. Almost everything you said in your post is wrong.

PNG wasn't really calling plays fast and they're not physical at all, the rb could barely get out of the backfield until the 4th quarter when Crosby had to play the pass more because of the time on the clock. There is no downhill run game because the running backs aren't good and the o-line is big but doesn't get movement particularly well. Every play that isn't an RPO is a play-action raise up and throw to the primary receiver or take off and run. His eyes always come down which is why he threw that awful pick into double coverage, we would've had a couple more if our dbs could catch. He would get sacked a lot more behind that offensive line if he didn't.  

If any of that stuff you said was true about PNG's offense they wouldn't have lost to a Tomball team that wont even make the playoffs in their district without him, otherwise your post is saying RJ is the only reason any of that stuff works. If anything PNG has become even more reliant on RJ than they were his sophomore year. PNG ran exactly what Crosby practiced for which is the qb run in about 70% of critical situations, much like Heard if you take his legs away he probably can't beat you from the pocket. I don't think that has any bearing on being great in college but may be reasons that have plagued other run first qbs in college.

9 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

WOS probably has to lowest education standards of any team covered on this board, odd someone from there would be calling anybody else a "meat head". Obviously if you "were" a coach you weren't a very good one if you couldn't sustain a living doing it. Almost everything you said in your post is wrong.

PNG wasn't really calling plays fast and they're not physical at all, the rb could barely get out of the backfield until the 4th quarter when Crosby had to play the pass more because of the time on the clock. There is no downhill run game because the running backs aren't good and the o-line is big but doesn't get movement particularly well. Every play that isn't an RPO is a play-action raise up and throw to the primary receiver or take off and run. His eyes always come down which is why he threw that awful pick into double coverage, we would've had a couple more if our dbs could catch. He would get sacked a lot more behind that offensive line if he didn't.  

If any of that stuff you said was true about PNG's offense they wouldn't have lost to a Tomball team that wont even make the playoffs in their district without him, otherwise your post is saying RJ is the only reason any of that stuff works. If anything PNG has become even more reliant on RJ than they were his sophomore year. PNG ran exactly what Crosby practiced for which is the qb run in about 70% of critical situations, much like Heard if you take his legs away he probably can't beat you from the pocket. I don't think that has any bearing on being great in college but may be reasons that have plagued other run first qbs in college.

36 minutes ago, WHO DAT???? said:

#1 Not from WOS

#2 Was a state winning player and assistant coach, now just have a job that is MUCH more profitable and im using my Degrees

#3 This is PNG offense. Its the reason why PNG has usually had the areas best QBs the past 10 years

#4 You are not an Elite 11 Qb if you cant go through progressions

You aren't bringing much to this argument.  This is PNG offense in a nutshell. Tell your coach to take few plays from it like TAKING A KNEE TO RUN OUT THE CLOCK! Clearly you cant talk about the plays because you addressed none of it. Do you know what ZR, ZR is? Do you even ZR bro?

5 minutes ago, indianforever said:

I said Huntsville was better than Crosby awhile back and no one believed me...I’ll tell you one thing Crosby isn’t putting up over 28 pts on them and Crosby defense is garbage..???

PNG held Huntsville to 31 points and their defense is probably more garbage than Crosby's. It's a completely different matchup with Crosby and Huntsville because we can run the ball from the rb position and most of our receivers can beat man coverage. PNG solely relies on RJ making plays with his legs to keep the offense moving. A prime example is PNG only being able to score 24 points on TC last year because of how they defended RJ, Crosby probably gets 40+ on them because they would need more than 7 in the box to defend the run game. It's all matchups, especially in the playoffs.

16 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The Port Neches-Groves offense

When PNG had their backs to the wall their response was to unleash Johnson in a K-State style QB run game, which resulted in him going for 200 rushing yards and four rushing TDs in the second half alone. The word on PNG and Roschon Johnson has typically been that they run something similar to the Tom Herman offense, but when you watch them they’re really closer to Bill Snyder’s Wildcats.

PNG is smart about mixing in play-action shots and RPOs off their run game, and they’ll get into four-wide spread sets to throw the ball or rollout the QB out to throw. Here’s what they turn to when they really need to move the ball.

[IMG] 

That’s QB power from a double TE set with three WRs and a pair of 220 pound senior TEs on the field to clear out space for the featured runner, Roschon Johnson. There’s no way to get numbers to the point of attack for the defense unless they want to play without a safety and thus there’s no way to stop the play except to beat blocks and bring him down. They don’t want to play without a safety because Roschon is too good at stuff like this:

[IMG] 

Roschon Johnson the passer

If you have a QB that can reliably hit an open man on the perimeter or lead a receiver down the field you can’t do much better than rolling with the “dread wing” offense, the 11 personnel set with a TE, FB, three WRs and no RB.

The set creates tremendous issues for defenses if the QB can hit the aforementioned throws and the offense is willing to use him regularly on direct snap runs. The use of a TE creates an extra gap up front and then the FB can insert one more at any point across the front, meaning that there are eight gaps to fill on a given run play. That only leaves three players to cover the receivers and the deep field. If you were ever curious about why K-State is always so good with limited offensive personnel, this is it.

The question this leaves for Texas is how good Roschon Johnson can be in a more complicated and less advantaged passing game at Texas.

There’s no doubt that Texas would want to maintain the feature of Johnson running the ball downhill with perimeter pass options. The QB counter play with a bubble screen attached that Texas dabbled in last year would likely be a bigger part of the offense with Johnson in, as would the QB zone plays that I suspect will become more prominent in 2018. Johnson would be effective enough on zone-read or QB stretch plays, but Texas would probably want to involve him more heavily as a runner than they did a year ago with Ehlinger and Buechele. Johnson is pretty effective throwing on the run but the big question is how he would do in the dropback game making reads and throws.

Here’s a sampling of how that looked for the Indians against Nederland:

[IMG] 

As you can tell by how easily Nederland overloaded a seven man max protection set, the passing game isn’t the main emphasis for PNG. They love to throw some play-action bombs and have some straightforward dropback in the offense but they obviously know that their bread is buttered with the QB run game and that’s where they’re most effective and skilled as an offense.

Still, Roschon hangs in and throws a dig under pressure that’s an absolute strike. PNG uses the “dig-post’ combination that made Mason Rudolph and James Washington such a terror as one of their main ways for pushing the ball down the field. Unlike the Cowboys though, they tend to hit the dig route rather than the post.

Most of the passing attempts came in the first half. In the second PNG figured out that they were going to have to win the game with Johnson’s legs and ran him every other play en route to four consecutive TD drives. He was only solid while throwing in this game, regularly trying to hit guys while facing man coverage and pressure. But on plays like this you can see an ability to generate torque from the hips that produces some nice velocity:

[IMG] 

He’s more raw in his mechanics and footwork than he will be as a multi-year program player at Texas but there are a few traits you can see from his HS film that are encouraging. One is that he is pretty accurate and consistently so. Herman and his staff won’t be working with a guy that can barely get the ball out to the numbers or hit a receiver on the right shoulder. Another is his comfort level making option reads and knowing where to find his guys from week to week. Understanding defenses and how to attack them is a skill that can be translated into multiple offenses if the necessary throwing skills are there.

Finally, there were multiple plays even in this game where Johnson had to make a play with his arm to sustain a key drive and he would rise to the occasion. He and the PNG offense are most comfortable right now using his legs to dominate opponents but he’s not a fish out of water when trying to win games with his arm (CROSBY) Would you like more?