Santa Fe 28 Vidor 19/FINAL

Hagar

7 hours ago, tupac7 said:

First of all, you guys wh want to get rid of the oc that just a couple years ago won a disrict title are wack jobs that have no clue. Secondly, coach Mathews is one of the best if not the best of getting the most out of their kids. Third the D.C. and the defense has been outstanding all year. I would love to have all those guys on my staff. So you guys complaining can piss off. Go pirates and their real fans.

Its better to be pissed off than be pissed on. LOL

2 hours ago, chorizo said:

tried to tell you guys,vidors db's would struggle against them,never have stopped a passing team!!

The defense has done well at getting our opponents to 3rd and long but then they give the receivers a big cushion an give up the 1st down. They’ve done it all year an it’s helped them lose games. Never understood why we don’t safety blitz at all. I’d take my chances on the long pass most quarterbacks at the high school level don’t pick up on the blitz quick enough. They’ve definitely dug themselves a hole. They have to win out just to have a chance at a playoff game.

34 minutes ago, vp93 said:

The defense only struggled because they played most of the game. The offense couldn't sustain any drives. 

The defense played most of the game because this was their statline:

COMP: 24

ATT: 34

PCT: 70.6

YDS: 238

TD: 2

INT: 0

70+% completion rate at HS level is huge.  You cannot effectively blitz dink and dunk passing attacks.   We had 280 total yards.  We got outplayed plain and simple.   

If wins came from the hearts of the players, we'd be undefeated.   We just cannot defend an offense we can't duplicate in practice.   It's why the Slot is so effective against teams that rarely see it.

I love Matthews, but it's a disservice to the kids and community to not give the kids all the tools to be successful.   We have to start some spread option or different formations in include passing.  Run slants or put in two tight ends.  When we do try to pass, it's often to one wide out in double coverage.   The Slot is all about deception,  utilize it.   Other Slot teams around Texas have started to open their playbook more.  It needs to happen in Vidor as well.

2 hours ago, chorizo said:

tried to tell you guys,vidors db's would struggle against them,never have stopped a passing team!!

Sante Fe played their best game and Vidor played their worst. Vidor is better than they have been playing and it seems that the two tough losses broke their spirit. You know the intangibles. Sante Fe had the best offensive game plan that Ive ever seen against Vidor. If yall had that QB and recievers then Ned would be really dangerous. 

10 minutes ago, Bootleg said:

Sante Fe played their best game and Vidor played their worst. Vidor is better than they have been playing and it seems that the two tough losses broke their spirit. You know the intangibles. Sante Fe had the best offensive game plan that Ive ever seen against Vidor. If yall had that QB and recievers then Ned would be really dangerous. 

We did hold that QB and those receivers to a scoreless game for them. I like how Fernandez can run also and the short passing attack works but not all the time. No doubt that QB is good but Ned held them to no points, pretty dangerous if you ask me 

1 hour ago, outanup said:

Passing game isn’t installed in an off week..... Can’t expect it all to change over night , gotta start at the jr. high level and develop qb’s.... Gotta work as hard at throwing as you do at the trap and misdirection stuff.. lord knows y’all got that down!!!! 

We do a great job of doing that.   Even our Pee Wee teams run the Slot.  You are definitely right it won't change over night.  But evolving and tweaking the offensive must be a constant.   Identifying potential arm talent early and experiment with different plays at the JH, Fresh, or JV levels.  

Vidor is a small town with only one Junior high feeding the HS.  It's gives them an advantage over largers schools because the coaching staff will know the future players much better. 

Since these kids eat, sleep, and dream about the Slot plays they can deviate a little from it.  Heck, line up in the Slot and motion into 3 or 4 wide just to make the other team call a timeout.   The other defenses are not playing their normal allotment of DBs and there will be mismatches.  When the opponent can line up 10 DL and LB within 10 yards of the ball and between the hash marks, you're asking a lot.

8 minutes ago, Bulldogpower said:

We did hold that QB and those receivers to a scoreless game for them. I like how Fernandez can run also and the short passing attack works but not all the time. No doubt that QB is good but Ned held them to no points, pretty dangerous if you ask me 

I was referring to their offense. You just flipped the script  and I dont see the relevance to the context of my post.

Sante Fe just drew the blue print to beating Vidor on both sides of the ball. 

4 hours ago, Past Pirate said:

I would like to see us not under center every play. We need to put in some schemes with the QB in the shot gun. Our line is not use to pass protection blocking, so this will help the QB out and not have to roll out for passes. You can also run from the formation as well. Play calling just seems to be stale. Not seeing anything new from week to week. It’s not hard for teams to defend against you when you’re not showing anything different from week to week. 

Yea we seem to like running the ball at a defense with all 11 men in the box. I’ve always thought we should show more formations to spread the defense out and keep them off balance. At least give them something different to look at and think about so they just can’t pin their ears back and play downhill. Base offense can still be slot-t but why not mix it up some. I’ve seen a tight end split out wide a handful of times and seen them line up with twins left once. Not nearly enough of that in my opinion, I understand in most games what we do works so why go away from it. But when it’s not working so well we have nothing to fall back on and end up keeping our defense on the field the whole game. Too many 3 and outs and not many long sustaining drives. I’d like to see the time of possession for that game, SF controlled the ball and had long drives with their dink and dunk passes.

7 minutes ago, Curelover32 said:

We do a great job of doing that.   Even our Pee Wee teams run the Slot.  You are definitely right it won't change over night.  But evolving and tweaking the offensive must be a constant.   Identifying potential arm talent early and experiment with different plays at the JH, Fresh, or JV levels.  

Vidor is a small town with only one Junior high feeding the HS.  It's gives them an advantage over largers schools because the coaching staff will know the future players much better. 

Since these kids eat, sleep, and dream about the Slot plays they can deviate a little from it.  Heck, line up in the Slot and motion into 3 or 4 wide just to make the other team call a timeout.   The other defenses are not playing their normal allotment of DBs and their will be mismatches.  When the opponent can line up 10 DL and LB within 10 yards of the ball and between the hash marks, you're asking a lot.

This, please more of this.

2 hours ago, Curelover32 said:

The defense played most of the game because this was their statline:

COMP: 24

ATT: 34

PCT: 70.6

YDS: 238

TD: 2

INT: 0

70+% completion rate at HS level is huge.  You cannot effectively blitz dink and dunk passing attacks.   We had 280 total yards.  We got outplayed plain and simple.   

If wins came from the hearts of the players, we'd be undefeated.   We just cannot defend an offense we can't duplicate in practice.   It's why the Slot is so effective against teams that rarely see it.

I love Matthews, but it's a disservice to the kids and community to not give the kids all the tools to be successful.   We have to start some spread option or different formations in include passing.  Run slants or put in two tight ends.  When we do try to pass, it's often to one wide out in double coverage.   The Slot is all about deception,  utilize it.   Other Slot teams around Texas have started to open their playbook more.  It needs to happen in Vidor as well.

Agree with a lot of the above but you can’t just give 5 to 8 yard cushions on every play an expect to get them off the field. If you bring more bodies than they can block you will disrupt the passing game in conjunction with playing man to man on the receivers. They had average speed at the receiver position. Do something different defensively even if you do it wrong. Some times you just have to gamble. Or you can just do what they did last night an wear the defense out.  I am not questioning the kids heart or effort. But you have to put them in a position to have a chance to be successful. Doing the same thing over an over defensively an watching thier offense move down the field is insane. 

22 minutes ago, Realville said:

Agree with a lot of the above but you can’t just give 5 to 8 yard cushions on every play an expect to get them off the field. If bring more bodies than they can block you will disrupt the passing game in conjunction with playing man to man on the receivers. They had average speed at the receiver position. Do something different defensively even if you do it wrong. Some times you just have to gamble. Or you can just do what they did last night an wear the defense. I am not questioning the kids heart or effort. But you have to put them in a position to have a chance to be successful. Doing the same thing over an over defensively an watching thier offense move down the field is insane. 

That’s true, I just watched a video of Barbers Hill, they like to sling it too. We better not try the same soft coverage again, I kept waiting for us to play press man coverage. Make them beat us over the top or run it, anything but what they did to us all night long with the swing passes.

1 hour ago, Realville said:

Agree with a lot of the above but you can’t just give 5 to 8 yard cushions on every play an expect to get them off the field. If bring more bodies than they can block you will disrupt the passing game in conjunction with playing man to man on the receivers. They had average speed at the receiver position. Do something different defensively even if you do it wrong. Some times you just have to gamble. Or you can just do what they did last night an wear the defense. I am not questioning the kids heart or effort. But you have to put them in a position to have a chance to be successful. Doing the same thing over an over defensively an watching thier offense move down the field is insane. 

100% agree my friend.

2 hours ago, Curelover32 said:

Since these kids eat, sleep, and dream about the Slot plays they can deviate a little from it.  Heck, line up in the Slot and motion into 3 or 4 wide just to make the other team call a timeout.   The other defenses are not playing their normal allotment of DBs and there will be mismatches.  When the opponent can line up 10 DL and LB within 10 yards of the ball and between the hash marks, you're asking a lot.

Per a quote from JM he runs the slot T because he said Vidor doesn’t have the athletes everyone else does when the rest of the district was going to a spread, kinda is a downer on the youth I thought, not a usual comment from someone as classy as JM, but yes it’s time to start passing the ball more and more, pleasant grove ran a hybrid slot T and they practice throwing the ball 90% of the time and it works well. 

5 minutes ago, Bulldogpower said:

Per a quote from JM he runs the slot T because he said Vidor doesn’t have the athletes everyone else does when the rest of the district was going to a spread, kinda is a downer on the youth I thought, not a usual comment from someone as classy as JM, but yes it’s time to start passing the ball more and more, pleasant grove ran a hybrid slot T and they practice throwing the ball 90% of the time and it works well. 

Agreed. I was at the Pleasant Grove / WOS Championship Game. They mix it up well. But you If teach your kids how not to pass the ball starting in Junior High then when they get to Varsity guess what ? they can’t  pass the ball effectively.

18 minutes ago, Bulldogpower said:

I graduated in 1992.  The running joke was there something in the water that stunted our growth.  Lol.

But seriously,  Vidor plays as a team and if natural talent isn't present you coach them to their greatest potential.   I refuse to believe we don't have the talent to coach up a QB and a few pairs of hands.  TE and slant routes can open up the Linebackers and make the Slot T more effective. 

At Cy Lakes, we began spread with read option.  But we started more misdirection and it helped the running game.  That was 5 years ago but offenses have to evolve.   

JM of course knows this.  He is an amazing motivator and leader.  I just don't know why we don't at least try.

24 minutes ago, Curelover32 said:

I graduated in 1992.  The running joke was there something in the water that stunted our growth.  Lol.

But seriously,  Vidor plays as a team and if natural talent isn't present you coach them to their greatest potential.   I refuse to believe we don't have the talent to coach up a QB and a few pairs of hands.  TE and slant routes can open up the Linebackers and make the Slot T more effective. 

At Cy Lakes, we began spread with read option.  But we started more misdirection and it helped the running game.  That was 5 years ago but offenses have to evolve.   

JM of course knows this.  He is an amazing motivator and leader.  I just don't know why we don't at least try.

Yep, if you’re not willing to change you can become extinct. 

47 minutes ago, Curelover32 said:

First time held under 32 all season.  Maybe they just read the Blue Print a little better than PNG and Crosby?

Png has no defense, Crosby went into the game thinking they are better than everyone (I wanted Vidor to win) and maybe the Crosby D isn’t there (I notice all they talk about is the offense) I seriously was shocked at this outcome though, I look for a Vidor W over BH 

3 hours ago, Bulldogpower said:

I think that blue print has been drawn a couple times so to speak. 

Nederlands never been able to execute it flawlessy on offense  before and I never miss a year. I guess that is what you are trying to imply. Where you at the game ? uh.......let me guess.......thats a No. So you have infinite wisdom about a game that you did not attend ? hmmmm makes perfect sense , especially since the coversation is an analysis of a game from people who actually watched it.

1 hour ago, Bootleg said:

Nederlands never been able to execute it flawlessy on offense  before and I never miss a year. I guess that is what you are trying to imply. Where you at the game ? uh.......let me guess.......thats a No. So you have infinite wisdom about a game that you did not attend ? hmmmm makes perfect sense , especially since the coversation is an analysis of a game from people who actually watched it.

Uhhh what that comment meant was Vidors inability to be a dominant team in its district, in other words the blueprint against them has been “drawn” many times as they usually have more district Ls than Ws in times past (not always but most of the time). Think outside the box there for a second skippy, now your taking what I said out of context, I didn’t need to be there we already shut them out, that work is done for us. I wasn’t referring to SF about the blue print. I don’t think BH has the blue print either as I think Vidor will get a W