RCS SPORTS SEASON OPENERS/Post updates here

42 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Was just about to make a comment about wondering how they compared to what I saw then.  I wasn’t  overly impressed then and was surprised to see them ranked #1.  I heard parents talking about how them being young.

Hellums shot about as poorly as I’ve ever seen him.  Didn’t see him hit a single 3.  Every one has an off day I guess.   Just not often he does.   The 6-9 Murphy is a K St commit and he’s dominant when he doesn’t float outside.  They would play silsbee tight imo.  

12 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Hellums shot about as poorly as I’ve ever seen him.  Didn’t see him hit a single 3.  Every one has an off day I guess.   Just not often he does.   The 6-9 Murphy is a K St commit and he’s dominant when he doesn’t float outside.  They would play silsbee tight imo.  

It seems they already had their chance to play Silsbee tight. Lost 89-77, trailing at one point by 20.

7 minutes ago, DXTR said:

I wonder if the 6'9" played in the fall game?  Concordia looked good and Memorial hung in there. Was impressed with Memorial considering how much they lost. I wasn't expecting them to look that good.  They will give Silsbee a good game. 

There big man did play when Silsbee played them they had the hole team... Silsbee had 7 players.. 

Concordia just has the type of team that could give Silsbee problems.  Methodical, disciplined, patient.  Just as Yates plays to Silsbee’s stengths, Concordia might exposé weaknesses.   But if fall ball is a good indicator, I suppose North Shore should be #1 instead of 10 in the rankings since they soundly beat the Tigers in said fall ball.  

3 hours ago, TxHoops said:

We talking fall ball??  Lol

What happened the last time they played a real game?  Before Concordia added a 6-9 high D1 forward?  I can’t remember...

Silsbee lost to Concordia by 7 or 8 at the thanksgiving showcase at Houston Christian's gym last year.  Hellums and others on that team show lights out from three.  I think that was on Jay Adams mind when he hit all those shots in the fall game.

7 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Morton Ranch, North Shore, Klein Forest & Sam Houston seem to be the top 6A schools in the greater Houston area, not necessarily in that order.   There could be a sleeper team on two that I don't know about.

Morton Ranch is tough.  They have the best big in the Houston area and arguably the best guard.   They have some nice pieces around them too.  

13 hours ago, DXTR said:

I wonder if the 6'9" played in the fall game?  Concordia looked good and Memorial hung in there. Was impressed with Memorial considering how much they lost. I wasn't expecting them to look that good.  They will give Silsbee a good game. 

Silsbee faced that 6'9" post from Pasadena when they scrimmaged against UT in Austin.  Is the guy for CL better?

PAM is not 4A so this game is just 409 bragging rights.

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Morton Ranch is tough.  They have the best big in the Houston area and arguably the best guard.   They have some nice pieces around them too.  

Hoops , MR is too loaded I know it sounds crazy but he was having trouble subbing. He couldn’t leave a player on over 2 min that could come back to get him . It was like that for United . Play the top 8 or 9 and unless someone is in foul trouble then that’s what it is 

6 minutes ago, BlkMamba24 said:

Hoops , MR is too loaded I know it sounds crazy but he was having trouble subbing. He couldn’t leave a player on over 2 min that could come back to get him . It was like that for United . Play the top 8 or 9 and unless someone is in foul trouble then that’s what it is 

I agree.  Some rotations can be too deep and actually hurt productivity.  I prefer 8 personally.  

I will say with MR, he leaves Cryer and Lampkin on the floor except for breathers.   Caldwell seemed to play more than the rest of the players as well.  Scary part is MR will be the same animal next season.   

1 hour ago, DXTR said:

My unofficial, one game means nothing, ranking of the 3 games I saw yesterday. 

1. Morton Ranch / Concordia tie

2. Memorial

3. Dickinson

4. Yates

5. United....in their defense, they were playing Yates ball, which may not show what they really have.

I watched same three games.  I would go

1.  Morton Ranch

2. Concordia

3.  Dickinson

4.  Memorial

5.  Yates

6.  United

I thought drop off was significant after Ranch.   Tough to say after that.  I think Dickinson and Concordia would be a great game.   But I know Concordia didn’t play particularly well, and Memorial also spent most of the game with Clover in foul trouble.   When he was in, Murphy tended to float outside.  

Agree completely on the Yates/United game.  United fell into playing Yates basketball and did so sloppily.   I’m sure they will get much better.  That game was hard to watch at times. 

10 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I watched same three games.  I would go

1.  Morton Ranch

2. Concordia

3.  Dickinson

4.  Memorial

5.  Yates

6.  United

I thought drop off was significant after Ranch.   Tough to say after that.  I think Dickinson and Concordia would be a great game.   But I know Concordia didn’t play particularly well, and Memorial also spent most of the game with Clover in foul trouble.   When he was in, Murphy tended to float outside.  

Agree completely on the Yates/United game.  United fell into playing Yates basketball and did so sloppily.   I’m sure they will get much better.  That game was hard to watch at times. 

Morton Ranch blows the doors off Dickinson if not for all the subbing . Concordia is just so solid they won’t beat themselves. Memorial is better than some expect , they just need to develop the fresh and he will be very key in how far they go . I thought Yates was surprisingly good I mean yea they lost a lot but the more i watched them the more I liked them.  United has to find some sort of offense structure & be able to make adjustments defensively. You cannot press everyone or just be helter skelter on offense. They have some very good pieces to work with they are extremely long and the coaching has to take advantage of that . I said this about MR and it holds true for United they have too many kids. All of them can’t possibly play top 8-9, trying to play 14 kills rhythm. It’s a 32 minute game no way you can play 14-15 kids.....

Fall ball means absolutely nothing when the coaches aren’t coaching. I’ll give you an example the year CL went 43-1 en route to winning state their last loss before the in season loss came to Ozen in the back to school battle at Yates . I coached that game we were up 25 on them ,I put the the bench in and they went 7-11 to cut it to 4, cue starters going back in lollll... Both Silsbee and CL won state that year getting revenge in a fall ball the following year means nothing imo especially when it’s not the same CL team. 

5 minutes ago, BlkMamba24 said:

Fall ball means absolutely nothing when the coaches aren’t coaching. I’ll give you an example the year CL went 43-1 en route to winning state their last loss before the in season loss came to Ozen in the back to school battle at Yates . I coached that game we were up 25 them ,I put the the bench in and they went 7-11 to cut it to 4, cue starters going back in lollll... Both Silsbee and CL won state that year getting revenge in a fall ball means nothing imo. 

Clearly Ozen had an advantage in the fall ball coaching department ;)