Beaumont United vs Jack Yates nov. 10 @ Campbell Center

6 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Did coach Danny Green play for Coach Sigler at Silsbee?  I think he did, but I was away in the military during that era.  If he did then his team probably plays the same defense and tempo.  I don't think I've ever actually watched one of Coach Green's teams play.  

It's David Green, not Danny and no, David did not play for Sigler. He was however an assistant for Sigler during the late '80's at Silsbee.

I don't mean to correct you but I moved here in 1991 and Coach Green was an assistant for Coach Sigler for at least half of the 90's. Then he took a head coaching job in Kountze. He later went to Beaumont Central and then on to Memorial. He also coached in some places in the Houston area before taking the job at Northshore. He is and has been an outstanding person and an outstanding coach. 

4 hours ago, scoopno1 said:

I don't mean to correct you but I moved here in 1991 and Coach Green was an assistant for Coach Sigler for at least half of the 90's. Then he took a head coaching job in Kountze. He later went to Beaumont Central and then on to Memorial. He also coached in some places in the Houston area before taking the job at Northshore. He is and has been an outstanding person and an outstanding coach. 

AAW loves him some David Green.  For good reason - as you say, outstanding coach and an even better person.  

8 hours ago, scoopno1 said:

Coach Green lead Kountze, BMT Central, Hightower, and North Shore to state. He won with North Shore. Heck of a coach! 

On 10/12/2018 at 2:47 PM, TxHoops said:

AAW loves him some David Green.  For good reason - as you say, outstanding coach and an even better person.  

I'm glad THEY went out and got a basketball coach that is a WINNER for United because THEY dropped the God dayum ball when it came to the football program...

I have some questions: 1. What are the expectations for this years group(how far can they go)?.  2. What is the window for the United staff in the next 2-3 yrs with this group of talent he has . Will the basketball experts in this fine community view it as a failure if they don’t advance far or come close to a trip to state. You know how folks are out here !!!!!!

4 hours ago, BlkMamba24 said:

I have some questions: 1. What are the expectations for this years group(how far can they go)?.  2. What is the window for the United staff in the next 2-3 yrs with this group of talent he has . Will the basketball experts in this fine community view it as a failure if they don’t advance far or come close to a trip to state. You know how folks are out here !!!!!!

Well according to the "real experts" United is the 22nd best 6A team in the state before having played a game. So its not unrealistic to think that the t-wolves will improve throughout the season and have a shot at the region. And having a ten year old that plays little league basketball, the talent level of Beaumont basketball extends well pass the next two to three years.

2 hours ago, Yeoj said:

Well according to the "real experts" United is the 22nd best 6A team in the state before having played a game. So its not unrealistic to think that the t-wolves will improve throughout the season and have a shot at the region. And having a ten year old that plays little league basketball, the talent level of Beaumont basketball extends well pass the next two to three years.

Maroon and gold...:)

7 hours ago, BlkMamba24 said:

2 hours ago, Yeoj said:

Good question BlkMamba.  I'll make some of the bigger games for the boys but I'll be mainly following the girls program due to my invested interest.  I can tell you this though, the expectations are higher for the boys basketball program probably more so than any other sports team United will field this year.  But like I said above, they went out and got a WINNER for a coach who is going to be over young men from both schools that are use to winning.  I don't see the basketball team losing games that they should win.  I'm not saying that they are about to win state right out of the gate but you never know, it could happen.  They will win 20 plus games a year and have decent success in the playoffs.

In football, the people from Central and the North end had higher expectations than what is going on currently by a team that is being led by a former Ozen coach.  In basketball, the critics from Ozen and the South have won a state title and are about to be led by a former Central coach who took them to the State tournament and won a title with North Shore.  Football could have been the "tie" that binds both of these communities but it has done the exact opposite.  The basketball team will do what the football team couldn't do, "unify" the communities and the student body. 

Everybody loves a winner and winning cures all...

1 hour ago, Alpha Wolf said:

Good question BlkMamba.  I'll make some of the bigger games for the boys but I'll be mainly following the girls program due to my invested interest.  I can tell you this though, the expectations are higher for the boys basketball program probably more so than any other sports team United will field this year.  But like I said above, they went out and got a WINNER for a coach who is going to be over young men from both schools that are use to winning.  I don't see the basketball team losing games that they should win.  I'm not saying that they are about to win state right out of the gate but you never know, it could happen.  They will win 20 plus games a year and have decent success in the playoffs.

In football, the people from Central and the North end had higher expectations than what is going on currently by a team that is being led by a former Ozen coach.  In basketball, the critics from Ozen and the South have won a state title and are about to be led by a former Central coach who took them to the State tournament and won a title with North Shore.  Football could have been the "tie" that binds both of these communities but it has done the exact opposite.  The basketball team will do what the football team couldn't do, "unify" the communities and the student body. 

Everybody loves a winner and winning cures all...

I do agree winning cures all ,and expectations in the basketball program should be higher because although coach Green is an excellent coach, he is also inherenting two programs that are use to either winning district or placing 2nd to 3rd at worst and advancing in playoffs. In regards to the football program ,neither team was world beaters in my view point, although Central programs were slightly better. But I do know, we have to get past the Central vs.Ozen mentality and let the coaches try and establish their programs ,because on the outside looking in I can't tell who went to Central and who went to Ozen . It is now United regardless to weather we like it or not..

1 hour ago, Alpha Wolf said:

Maroon and gold...:)

I'm just saying, as i watch my son play little league there's some nice hoopers in the classes ahead of him, his class, and the classes behind him. Beaumont will not be short of hoopers. Both school will thrive on the hardwood.

46 minutes ago, rc2182 said:

I do agree winning cures all ,and expectations in the basketball program should be higher because although coach Green is an excellent coach, he is also inherenting two programs that are use to either winning district or placing 2nd to 3rd at worst and advancing in playoffs. In regards to the football program ,neither team was world beaters in my view point, although Central programs were slightly better. But I do know, we have to get past the Central vs.Ozen mentality and let the coaches try and establish their programs ,because on the outside looking in I can't tell who went to Central and who went to Ozen . It is now United regardless to weather we like it or not..

Not trying to talk about football too much on a basketball thread but I have to respond.  From the outside, you wouldn't know what coaches and what players were from which school.  As my old name use to say "Jag Insider", I do.  I am and will be one of the biggest supporters of the kids competing as Timberwolves in ALL extracurricular activities.  I have attended many volleyball games, all JV and Varsity football games, volunteer on campus when my schedule allows and am preparing to attend as many boys and girls basketball games as possible.  The Central and Ozen mentality will die off or at least be hushed in my opinion due to both the girls and boys basketball teams winning games and having some success.  When you've won one out of six games, that's not going to help get rid of the mentality that you spoke of.  As for coaches trying to establish their program, they should have brought in a neutral outsider to do that, someone that didn't know anyone.  Using your words, yes neither team was "world beaters" but SHE interviewed a few coaches that I would consider "world beaters" but decided to go with the "average joe"...    

2 hours ago, Alpha Wolf said:

Not trying to talk about football too much on a basketball thread but I have to respond.  From the outside, you wouldn't know what coaches and what players were from which school.  As my old name use to say "Jag Insider", I do.  I am and will be one of the biggest supporters of the kids competing as Timberwolves in ALL extracurricular activities.  I have attended many volleyball games, all JV and Varsity football games, volunteer on campus when my schedule allows and am preparing to attend as many boys and girls basketball games as possible.  The Central and Ozen mentality will die off or at least be hushed in my opinion due to both the girls and boys basketball teams winning games and having some success.  When you've won one out of six games, that's not going to help get rid of the mentality that you spoke of.  As for coaches trying to establish their program, they should have brought in a neutral outsider to do that, someone that didn't know anyone.  Using your words, yes neither team was "world beaters" but SHE interviewed a few coaches that I would consider "world beaters" but decided to go with the "average joe"...    

I can respect your opinion regarding average Joe ,I also have attended many games in all sports and continue to volunteer my time on campus as well .All I am saying, is regardless of who is coach ,in whatever sport it might be, I can not control who plays and what team they played for only support and hope the team gets better. And although I agree, their may have been better choices, he is the coach for now and have to continue to hope it gets better. I apologize to Mamba and  I will try to stick to BB talk from this point on. The sooner the Central/Ozen mentality dies off the better for all sports.

4 hours ago, rc2182 said:

I can respect your opinion regarding average Joe ,I also have attended many games in all sports and continue to volunteer my time on campus as well .All I am saying, is regardless of who is coach ,in whatever sport it might be, I can not control who plays and what team they played for only support and hope the team gets better. And although I agree, their may have been better choices, he is the coach for now and have to continue to hope it gets better. I apologize to Mamba and  I will try to stick to BB talk from this point on. The sooner the Central/Ozen mentality dies off the better for all sports.

Come on now you know I’m not sensitive at all ...lol... also for those that say United is not deserving of the ranking ,”most” of the time they go off who’s returning, summer success and college offers . United has a lot of all district kids coming back. I believe Kasen is the most highly recruited out of west brook or United soooooo what’s the fuss for .

I'm guessing the Silsbee vs United game will be Saturday, November 24th @ United high school.  The reason I say that is I haven't gotten a copy of the boys schedule yet but I received the girls schedule a couple of days ago for United and it has the girls from Silsbee and United, varsity only, playing that particular Saturday @ 5:30 pm.  So I'm guessing the boys will follow at 7 p.m.