Does Size Matter?

51 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I like the way Newton could beat anybody, anywhere.... until they lose a game and it’s because they had to ride school buses to Dallas, or some other whack-a excuse. 

I have never said Newton could beat anybody, anywhere and I definitely don't make excuses for their play, but I have said that getting off a bus after a six hour ride and playing a football game didn't help.

1 hour ago, purpleeagle said:

The only rating you could go by is the national computer (Located in Atlanta, Georgia) which has Newton winning 44 to 43.

Those are like the pound-for-pound rankings in MMA. If you really think the 125lb fighter ranked #2 could beat the #5 ranked heavyweight that cuts weight to get down to 265 lbs, well.... you would probably think Newton could beat a top 6a school, too.  

The big school would be the bear and Newton would be rabbit in the old “do you have a problem with pooh sticking to your fur” story.  

17 hours ago, Austin1985 said:

I will say no.  Allen is Allen but the Plano schools and the Alief schools are top ten largest and most seasons are mediocre.  You can only play 11 at a time but I wouldn't leave Allen for Barbra's Hill......

We stayed in Allen last week after going to Oklahoma for baseball recruitment and I scratched my head why a coach would leave there for anywhere in southeast Texas. It was super nice there.

1 hour ago, TradenupBH said:

We stayed in Allen last week after going to Oklahoma for baseball recruitment and I scratched my head why a coach would leave there for anywhere in southeast Texas. It was super nice there.

I really thought that if Westerburg ever left Allen it would be for a college gig.  He would've been a lock for at least a position coach at a big time school and probably even would've had a really good shot at an FCS head job.  When he left and came to BH I was truly floored.  But I started thinking about the amount of pressure he probably had on him to continue winning at that level in Allen.  It's really not feasible with the vast amount of talent in the metroplex.  Every year in that region several of the rounds are potential state champ type games. He had just graduated Kyler Murray who is...let's face it.. a true Heisman caliber quarterback and was a man among boys in any level of high school.  When the BH job presented itself as an option I'm sure he thought it would be a good place to build a little success in a school that's not used to it.  Sure people were expecting a miracle but he'll never have the pressure to win at BH like I'm sure he did at Allen.  Factor in the money he's making (including family) and it makes more sense to me now than it did at first.

6 minutes ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

I would speculate that the Athletic Director title and the bump in pay would have been major considerations n his move.

I personally don't think that money was the motivating factor.  He could've been making $300K coaching tight ends or something at a school like UT.  The payraise he got from Allen to BH wasn't really a huge amount compared to what he could've made.  I guess we'll never know unless he personally says the reasons he did what he did.

Guest ECBucFan
20 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Baytown could combine all of their schools and I doubt they'd be on the same level as Allen.  

Correct, because Baytown does not get top talent "move ins" from all across the GHA like Allen does from the Metroplex.  Allen is pretty much a DFW All Star team. 

7 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

Correct, because Baytown does not get top talent "move ins" from all across the GHA like Allen does from the Metroplex.  Allen is pretty much a DFW All Star team. 

There are other differences than just that.  Yes Allen get's solid moveins but so do several DFW schools.  Not to beat a dead horse but having the kind of kids that come from a wealthy, stable environment makes a huge difference.  I know there are exceptions but there is a large number of entire neighborhoods in the North Dallas area of several thousand square foot homes where the kids don't have to work, get private lessons, strength/speed training camps, both parents at home, then go to school where they have state of the art facilities, the best teachers/coaches that money can buy, and an endless amount ($) of community support.  Anyone who thinks that doesn't play a role just doesn't know. 

3 hours ago, TradenupBH said:

And this is no knock on the Hill.  I think it had to been more than the money.  He had Kyler Murry and 3 rings in a row and just bounce?  Some thing's screwy in St. Louie

Why stick around Allen and have to answer to a AD. At huge high school/school district? He won 3 state championships nothing more to achieve in that aspect. Take a step down in classification, make more money, be the AD and all calls and questions go through you cause you are the boss. There is a lot to factor in why he left Allen.

9 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Why stick around Allen and have to answer to a AD. At huge high school/school district? He won 3 state championships nothing more to achieve in that aspect. Take a step down in classification, make more money, be the AD and all calls and questions go through you cause you are the boss. There is a lot to factor in why he left Allen.

I always thought he was the AD.....  But still, there are more A's in the senior class at Allen than students in BH.  I dunno.  Or get a middle to top program in the DFW.  If I'm such a great coach, go turn around a program like FW Pascal lol

6 minutes ago, Austin1985 said:

I always thought he was the AD.....  But still, there are more A's in the senior class at Allen than students in BH.  I dunno.  Or get a middle to top program in the DFW.  If I'm such a great coach, go turn around a program like FW Pascal lol

He didn’t have the AD title at Allen. when he first came a lot of people said that was one reason why came to the Hill the other being the Superintendent and him having ties to each other they are buddies. 

Guest ECBucFan

He is friends with their Super (so they say) and his pay is higher with less stress (no Statewide media glare).

Not a bad move for someone wanting to bank some cash and increase pay averages heading into retirement. 

My 8th grade team at Jasper suited up 16 in Lufkin in 1966.  My Dad counted 108 suited out for Lufkin.  When they lined up for  calesthentics, they lined up all the way to our 40 yd line.  We were in 4 lines of 4.  Before the the game my Dad came down to the back of the bench and said "Whatever y'all do don't get in a fight !"  We won the game the game 20-12. The next year we integrated and beat them 34-12.  They had almost 7 times the players we had so it shows greater numbers don't guarantee a win.  This was one of his favorite stories.

4 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I really thought that if Westerburg ever left Allen it would be for a college gig.  He would've been a lock for at least a position coach at a big time school and probably even would've had a really good shot at an FCS head job.  When he left and came to BH I was truly floored.  But I started thinking about the amount of pressure he probably had on him to continue winning at that level in Allen.  It's really not feasible with the vast amount of talent in the metroplex.  Every year in that region several of the rounds are potential state champ type games. He had just graduated Kyler Murray who is...let's face it.. a true Heisman caliber quarterback and was a man among boys in any level of high school.  When the BH job presented itself as an option I'm sure he thought it would be a good place to build a little success in a school that's not used to it.  Sure people were expecting a miracle but he'll never have the pressure to win at BH like I'm sure he did at Allen.  Factor in the money he's making (including family) and it makes more sense to me now than it did at first.

He's actually my neighbor. He's a great guy and appears happy with the move. His son lives across the street from him and he seems happy. There's really no pressure outside of a few dad's crying about play calling. His system works even for an area that lacks overall talent. I don't think you'll find anyone with any sense at BH talking trash about him.

11 minutes ago, TradenupBH said:

He's actually my neighbor. He's a great guy and appears happy with the move. His son lives across the street from him and he seems happy. There's really no pressure outside of a few dad's crying about play calling. His system works even for an area that lacks overall talent. I don't think you'll find anyone with any sense at BH talking trash about him.

Yeah that's kind of the point I was making.  No pressure.  I can only imagine the enormous amount of pressure he would've gotten at Allen after winning 3.  I've heard very good things about him as a person and I'm glad he's happy with his decision.  Despite what any of us think..he deserves to be doing what he wants, where he wants just like any hard working individual. 

And yeah I hear you on the..won't find anyone with any sense talking trash..  That's the problem though.  I think the number of level headed, reasonable fans is extremely rare.  Anywhere. 

8 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

The combining of schools would in no way put us on even the same level as North Shore. It would, however, allow us to compete better in all sports and would unite our dwindling fan base. 

8 minutes ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

The combining of schools would in no way put us on even the same level as North Shore. It would, however, allow us to compete better in all sports and would unite our dwindling fan base. 

If y’all were to combine do you see Baytown building a brand new mega high school and all new football, baseball, softball stadiums. Or just redo the stadiums  they have now? 

19 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

If y’all were to combine do you see Baytown building a brand new mega high school and all new football, baseball, softball stadiums. Or just redo the stadiums  they have now? 

I would think/hope we would use the facilities already in place and make the needed improvements.