What makes a great Texas High School Football Program?

TexasPanther2012

4 minutes ago, hornetsdad said:

Own what ? I said a couple others. LOOK AT THE ORIGINAL POST. Nobody is crawfishing Dog. You have a problem with comprehension.

You said a couple of others.   Myself and others have added at least five or six to that list, would you like me to continue the list?  My comprehension is just fine but your time on this board might be limited.

5 minutes ago, hornetsdad said:

Its just funny how those "others" exist outside of SETX and have existed for the last 40-50 years. Its the same communities most often. Their tradition does not waver and those kids expect to whip everyones butt on friday nights.

Nederland, PNG  have both make deep runs fairly recently.   Georgetown ( another pretty much white team) has been Ned's problem lately.

21 minutes ago, hornetsdad said:

Own what ? I said a couple others. LOOK AT THE ORIGINAL POST. Nobody is crawfishing Dog. You have a problem with comprehension.

You did make the comment that no southeast Texas team had "EVER" been successful while being "all white". Examples were given then you want to now put a time table on it. Make up your mind.

56 minutes ago, The Icon said:

Neither is having a team solely consisting of “hard-working white kids” (not implying that’s what you’re arguing). 

Its a collection of factors that a number people have already mentioned: Coachable athletes, parental/administrative/community support, knowledgeable coaching staff, etc.

Exactly, that was my point too. You need hard working athletes (white or black), well coached, winning culture, etc.

8 minutes ago, hornetsdad said:

I was born in 66. I had not heard of any success in the area outside of Newton and WOS. My apology for not knowing about Nederland, PNG and BC.

I was born in '64 and I knew about the state titles that PN-G won in the '70's. Actually went to one of their state title games as a child. Also knew about BC state title with Worster.

Also don't forget about Hull-Daisetta.

On 9/23/2018 at 7:16 PM, hornetsdad said:

Every year, it’s the same teams.

So, what do the same teams have?

They have the same blood as those that went before them. End of story.

I don’t wanna hear the Facilities argument.  WOS & NEWTON coaches dying for facilities and have done what they’ve done without it. Does it help? Sure. But it don’t hurt a select few programs in the State with superior athletes.

Outside of Brock, Celina, Argyle and a couple others...there is NO community in the state that has had football success without a good portion of superior black athletes. Don’t @ me.

I saw Muenster win state last year and they looked pretty white to me. That argument falls apart quickly. If you would have said Athletes instead of Black Athlete people would buy that because it does take Athletes to go to state  So does the facilities argument as you mentioned WOS and Newton doesn’t have the best facilities. What does pass is great coaching WOS and Newton has that. 

17 hours ago, hornetsdad said:

Your comment directed toward my post makes absolutely zero sense. I said you have to have a portion of superior black athletes. Without the athletes you can not and will not be successful. You need to study Texas HS football a little harder, boy.

My apologies, Son.  I should have known that one would fly right over your head. 

Here’s another reason. Prior to the 1960s, most schools were segregated. This is 2018 and now most schools are integrated. By definition there aren’t nearly as many schools without your “superior black athletes.”  To say you “can’t win without black athletes” is about the same as saying “you can’t win unless your school has high speed internet access.” Because in this era, no school ever wins unless they have high speed Internet access. 

17 hours ago, hornetsdad said:

I said a few others. HP is definitely one.

Austin Westlake, LT, Wimberley I could keep going but would probably get tired of typing. An athlete is an athlete. Fact is a vast majority of very athletic kids go other routes than football. You give anyone that has the opportunity to pick a professional sports career and has the talent baseball and basketball pay a hell of a lot more. Mike Trout is about to sign the first 500 million dollar contract and is about 6"2 235. He is also a sub 4.5 guy. I'm sure he could find a spot on the football field but why would he.

Well it's good to have parents that love football and want their kid to be the best, and willing to do whatever it takes (as long as the kid is on board) to be successful.  Next would be Coaches that actually play the best players, and not start kids who have "status" or parents have "status".  We have several decent players quit in Huffman over the years for this or that, and some just didn't feel like they got a fair shake.  I get it because my kid was one of those. He got overlooked again and again, from 8th grade till 10 grade.  Well mid season 10th grade till 11th grade they couldn't ignore him anymore, now they need him. But I still remember all the times he came home down and depressed, because he couldn't understand  why he was not playing, or getting ignored by coaches, when he was just as good or better than the other kids. Honestly he's been in Huffman his whole life and I think last year the main football coaches finally knew his name, and talked to him.

10 hours ago, hornetsdad said:

I stand corrected. There are many others that I was not aware of. At the end of the day, you guys are spot on. Hard working kids, with rich tradition and a can do attitude will get the job done every time.

My apologies to anyone I offended with my tasteless comments.

No worries. Sometimes we could all use a little eye-opener from time to time.