What makes a great Texas High School Football Program?

TexasPanther2012

9 hours ago, RedJollyRoger said:

Come On Man....

Yeah, Newton is definitely unbelievable. But please don't discount the hours the coaching staff has, and does put in to prepare these kids week in and week out to set them up for success. (For many years) Talented athletes don't build and sustain programs.  

I agree that gene pool is important, also long tenured coaching that includes the youngsters, community support and a strong tradition of value placed on the  success of the athletic program. The "hot bed" areas of talent always draws the best coaches and the support of the community and the school keep them. IMO.  PURPLE REIGN!!!!!!

Best post ITT.   You have to have athletes for sure.  But coaching is way underplayed by a lot of you.  IMO, Newton and WOS do what they do because of the CULTURES created there.  Talk to people in Palestine about Cornel Thompson’s time there.  Trying to implement a program there like WOS’s went over like a lead balloon.  Especially in this day and age, it isn’t the easiest thing in the world to have a community buy in to the type of culture (discipline, conditioning, etc.) that is needed to create a powerhouse.  In West Orange and Newton, the folks are by and large all in.  

7 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Best post ITT.   You have to have athletes for sure.  But coaching is way underplayed by a lot of you.  IMO, Newton and WOS do what they do because of the CULTURES created there.  Talk to people in Palestine about Cornel Thompson’s time there.  Trying to implement a program there like WOS’s went over like a lead balloon.  Especially in this day and age, it isn’t the easiest thing in the world to have a community buy in to the type of culture (discipline, conditioning, etc.) that is needed to create a powerhouse.  In West Orange and Newton, the folks are by and large all in.  

Did Cornell coach Adrian Peterson at Palestine?

1 hour ago, outanup said:

Did Cornell coach Adrian Peterson at Palestine?

My understanding is that Adrian Peterson has been on the record as saying that CT was a huge motivator for him... the story went that CT left the impression that he was leaving Palestine because the kids were soft and that motivated AP. 

I couldn’t find a link this morning, though. 

21 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

You are right. Justin Bieber could coach Newton to the State Championship this year, while Bill Belicheck could not coach several teams and win more than 1 or 2 games. 

If u believe that then u dont know anything about sports u can't stick anybody over and the out come would be the same. To me that's a slap to wt and the rest of the hardworking newton in the face. I've seen it first hand I program that had won several championships. The main peace of the coaching staff left and they still had the same calibur of players. 4 years straight didn't sniff the playoffs. Once they begged him to come back went back to the playoffs and won more titles with less talent before he left. He turned them in to hardworking coachable dicslpine football players. But I'm sure like you say Mickey mouse could have done that.

Guest ECBucFan
2 hours ago, ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING said:

If u believe that then u dont know anything about sports u can't stick anybody over and the out come would be the same. To me that's a slap to wt and the rest of the hardworking newton in the face. 

Chill Out. No one "slapped anyone"  ROLLING EYES

Get a grip.

11 hours ago, ReadOption said:

Coaching and building a program! Look at Nederland's football history before Neumann and now Barrow. Athlete's were the same but very different results! How many D1 football players have come out of Nederland in the last 25 years?

more than before Neumann got there.   You can see a big difference in the team from when August and DeRouen were there vs Neumann and Barrow.

Players, you have to have "football players" (not just kids who play football) to win consistently.

These players don't always have to be the best athletes, but it sure does help.

But, good football players are hard nosed, disciplined, motivated, coach-able and physical.

When you have true "football players" and you add good coaching that teaches the game and motivates, then you have a recipe for great success.

On 9/23/2018 at 10:20 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Jesus, racism sucks. 

I guess you also need a white qb and a white coach to win, too. If it all comes down to having black athletes, then why do so many majority black schools have losing programs? Inner city Houston schools should be collecting hardware every December. 

This has been covered a million times. 

Your comment directed toward my post makes absolutely zero sense. I said you have to have a portion of superior black athletes. Without the athletes you can not and will not be successful. You need to study Texas HS football a little harder, boy.

On 9/23/2018 at 7:16 PM, hornetsdad said:

Every year, it’s the same teams.

So, what do the same teams have?

They have the same blood as those that went before them. End of story.

I don’t wanna hear the Facilities argument.  WOS & NEWTON coaches dying for facilities and have done what they’ve done without it. Does it help? Sure. But it don’t hurt a select few programs in the State with superior athletes.

Outside of Brock, Celina, Argyle and a couple others...there is NO community in the state that has had football success without a good portion of superior black athletes. Don’t @ me.

I would say Highland Park, beating Manvel in the State championship is an outlier?

I don’t wanna hear the Facilities argument.  WOS & NEWTON coaches dying for facilities and have done what they’ve done without it. Does it help? Sure. But it don’t hurt a select few programs in the State with superior athletes.

Outside of Brock, Celina, Argyle and a couple others...there is NO community in the state that has had football success without a good portion of superior black athletes. Don’t @ me.

Nah just ask Manvel how well that went last December. Superior black athletes verses a bunch of well coached white boys... honestly having good athletes (black athletes if that’s the term you prefer) certainly helps, but it’s not a guarantee for success. 

19 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

Nah just ask Manvel how well that went last December. Superior black athletes verses a bunch of well coached white boys... honestly having good athletes (black athletes if that’s the term you prefer) certainly helps, but it’s not a guarantee for success. 

You need to re-read my post just like the other guy. What part of my listing a few communities that have been able to do this "exception to the rule" do you guys not get ? HP is one, like Celina, Brock Argyle and a couple others. All of those communities are within 100 miles of each other, which is also no accident.  Good lord people READ !!!!!!

24 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

Neither is having a team solely consisting of “hard-working white kids” (not implying that’s what you’re arguing). 

Its a collection of factors that a number people have already mentioned: Coachable athletes, parental/administrative/community support, knowledgeable coaching staff, etc.

4 minutes ago, The Icon said:

Neither is having a team solely consisting of “hard-working white kids” (not implying that’s what you’re arguing). 

Its a collection of factors that a number people have already mentioned: Coachable athletes, parental/administrative/community support, knowledgeable coaching staff, etc.

"hard working white kids" has not worked for SOUTHEAST texas in the history of ever...........AS IN EVER..........or also known as EVER, 

Thanks ICON - you get it !!!!

13 minutes ago, hornetsdad said:

"hard working white kids" has not worked for SOUTHEAST texas in the history of ever...........AS IN EVER..........or also known as EVER, 

Thanks ICON - you get it !!!!

wrong again,  Nederland has a state title and PNG has three. Bridge City has one.  Try again.  You also forgot Aledo, Lake Travis on the list as well.

And here is your exact comment so you can quit trying to worm out of it and quantify it.