*****GILMER @ NEWTON*****

GATA!

2 hours ago, jimmyw said:

i hope so, Newton with all of its athletes  hasn't faced a passing team that will do all the picks and rub patterns like Gilmer. I think we should win handily but teams i have never seen tends to make me nervous.

Newton has had 2 weeks to get prepared for any offense they bring.. bring it !!

38 minutes ago, lostaussie said:

We will show up and play hard. Sorry we won't be much competition. Lol

I wish more competition could have been displayed against some of the teams Gilmer has played. Wow never thought Gilmer would be down this bad. Gotta tell ya. If Gilmer continues to play as they have it will be a long night in Newton.

Gilmer may be down but they shouldn't be taken lightly. They have a good quarterback that can throw the ball well. And several good receivers.  Providing the quarterback gets time to throw. This should be a good test for Newton's defensive backs. Newton doesn't normally play against good passing teams. Hope they are prepared and I'm certain they are going reparing. It will be interesting to see how they do. It will prepare them for the playoffs.

3 hours ago, GATA! said:

Where is the line drawn for 4a d2 "down year" teams vs a team that is 2 divisions lower,......does that mean the years that the smaller school loses vs 4a -d2 teams is in "down years" 

To be quite honest Gilmer may end up in the playoffs.  I'm kinda echoing the sentiment of most other people on here about Gilmer not necessarily having and average year. But in my opinion a good 4a-d2 team should not lose to a good 3a-d2 team. I think Newton is not a good 3a team. They are a very exceptionally great 3a team this year. 

12 minutes ago, lostaussie said:

May end up in the playoffs......lol we may go four or five rounds deep. 4a DII is a crapshoot this year. This thing is up for grabs. Don't count our youngsters out yet just because we got hammered by Carthage. 

Im not counting you out. Looking at your schedule,  whom you've played, and whom you have to play. I believe you guys turned the ball over 3 tines against carthage. Ive only watched highlights of you guys playing.  I believe you have a great passing game. You may have given up a few points. I believe Carthage game can partly be attributed to turnovers. I believe you have a much better team than your record indicates.  I'm looking forward to the game against Newton.  I believe it will be very interesting and a great test for Newton.  I'm from Newton, and I just see the game as a test for Newton's defensive front and backfield.  I'd like to see Newton put a lot of pressure on the quarterback and, I would like to see great coverage by Newton's defensive backs. And like I said I believe you guys are much better than your record indicates. And certainly better than you are given credit for by most people on this sight.

I don't think we can beat Newton THIS year, but we are playing 2 animals back to back. With that said, we haven't taken a beating like that since the 70's. I would expect a good game plan and a good effort Friday night. We will match up better with the Eagles than we did against Carthage. Our kids are proud. They won't take to kindly the whipping they got last week. I believe a closer game is coming than some expect.