Sabine Pass cancels the rest of the season?

AggiesAreWe

After I read the season previews and saw the turnout I told my wife they should cancel football. They just don't have the numbers. There aren't enough kids to scrimmage in practice, not enough kids big enough to play on the lines. There's no JV or freshman teams, which makes it dangerous because you have kids going from middle school football to varsity who aren't ready for JV and in some cases aren't ready for freshman football. I hate to see it because you have kids that want to play just not enough of them. I thank God there were no major injuries before they pulled the plug.

12 hours ago, H-D BOBCAT 55 said:

What sucks is #54 DL for SP is a beast! I hope he goes and plays at another school. Kid is definitely an All-District type player. It would be unfortunate for him to miss out. 

I wonder what the UIL rules would be in a situation such as this. Would a player still have to sit out a year if they transferred ?

26 minutes ago, Bootleg said:

I wonder what the UIL rules would be in a situation such as this. Would a player still have to sit out a year if they transferred ?

I don't think so. I think it just the 10 day waiting period necessary for all transfers.

If a school does not offer a sport and you transfer to the nearest geographical school that offers that sport, there is not a 1 year requirement. I think.

12 hours ago, H-D BOBCAT 55 said:

What sucks is #54 DL for SP is a beast! I hope he goes and plays at another school. Kid is definitely an All-District type player. It would be unfortunate for him to miss out. 

I'm not trying to seem argumentative...but I'm count this as a half truth.  Especially to what's implied (I think).  I'll concede to the fact that they definitely have a best player and the kid you're referring to is probably him.  But being the best player on that team and being an "All-District type player" in that district doesn't necessarily make him a beast.  I would bet that most..if not not all..of those players are lucky to be playing at Sabine Pass or they probably wouldn't be getting those minutes.  It's sad for the kid that he won't get to finish the season but honestly.. as a school they have zero reason to attempt to field a football team.  I'm surprised they aren't getting a kid or more hurt every game.

10 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I'm not trying to seem argumentative...but I'm count this as a half truth.  Especially to what's implied (I think).  I'll concede to the fact that they definitely have a best player and the kid you're referring to is probably him.  But being the best player on that team and being an "All-District type player" in that district doesn't necessarily make him a beast.  I would bet that most..if not not all..of those players are lucky to be playing at Sabine Pass or they probably wouldn't be getting those minutes.  It's sad for the kid that he won't get to finish the season but honestly.. as a school they have zero reason to attempt to field a football team.  I'm surprised they aren't getting a kid or more hurt every game.

I would venture to guess that the they weren't playing that tough of a schedule.

15 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

I would venture to guess that the they weren't playing that tough of a schedule.

The schedule they were playing could possibly be the weakest schedule in all of Texas 11 man football.  Even so..there are only so many private schools you can get in preseason to make an actual competitive game.  Then you end up having to play another local school from the class just above you.. this year is was HD.  HD aren't world beaters but they could've beaten Sabine Pass 100-0.  Then comes district.. and even though there are other teams that are also sometimes very bad (Burkeville, Colmesneil,.) there are still teams like Evadale, Grapeland, Lovelady.  Who know that they're only going to get a half to rack up as many yards/points as coach will let them.  That.. is how bad players on bad teams get hurt.  Seriously hurt.  

Sabine Pass has no reason to play football.

9 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

The schedule they were playing could possibly be the weakest schedule in all of Texas 11 man football.  Even so..there are only so many private schools you can get in preseason to make an actual competitive game.  Then you end up having to play another local school from the class just above you.. this year is was HD.  HD aren't world beaters but they could've beaten Sabine Pass 100-0.  Then comes district.. and even though there are other teams that are also sometimes very bad (Burkeville, Colmesneil,.) there are still teams like Evadale, Grapeland, Lovelady.  Who know that they're only going to get a half to rack up as many yards/points as coach will let them.  That.. is how bad players on bad teams get hurt.  Seriously hurt.  

No argument from me.

Guest ECBucFan
3 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

"Sabine Pass" may not, but some of the young men who pull the shoulder pads on sure do. Personally I care a lot more about them than "Sabine Pass'.   

Guest ECBucFan
15 hours ago, Go-rilla said:

Lets be honest there is about 15 too many high schools in setx. Need to send kids to nearby more stable schools. There is also about 100 schools in Texas that should not have teams. Kids getting beat 50-0 weekly is not a good thing.

I disagree that there is 15 schools too many in SETX. Do you really want to consolidate SETX in to a few large to very large schools? This would ultimately limit the number of players on the feild on Friday nights. It might cut it clean in half, and that would be terrible. It would deny the Friday night experience to potentially hundreds of young men.       

13 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

I disagree that there is 15 schools too many in SETX. Do you really want to consolidate SETX in to a few large to very large schools? This would ultimately limit the number of players on the feild on Friday nights. It might cut it clean in half, and that would be terrible. It would deny the Friday night experience to potentially hundreds of young men.       

I suppose there are 14 schools too many now with football programs.

I don’t disagree with your stance on the experience. However, consolidating or annexing some smaller schools into larger districts isn’t an awful thing. To do so solely for football/athletics would be foolish, but could potentially be fiscally more responsible for some districts. Just a thought 

14 minutes ago, The Icon said:

I suppose there are 14 schools too many now with football programs.

I don’t disagree with your stance on the experience. However, consolidating or annexing some smaller schools into larger districts isn’t an awful thing. To do so solely for football/athletics would be foolish, but could potentially be fiscally more responsible for some districts. Just a thought 

Alright start with WOS and LCM consolidating. See how well that works out. 

11 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

"Sabine Pass" may not, but some of the young men who pull the shoulder pads on sure do. Personally I care a lot more about them than "Sabine Pass'.   

Care so much about them that you're willing to let the majority have a serious risk for real injury and all a definite risk of embarrassment for the sake of a few (maybe) who pull the shoulder pads that care?  The Little Giants was just a movie, bro.  That's not real world.

17 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

I made an argument a couple years ago on this site that I thought that all schools with an enrollment of less than 400 should either close or consolidate (or both).. I was attacked for that opinion of course.  From most people on here.  I have changed my mind somewhat but still feel that the idea remains justified.  Kids no longer learn how to compete for anything, which can be detrimental when they get out of high school.  Your statement is a good example of just what I'm saying.  If a kid truly wants to play football and is willing to do what it takes to become a better athlete, compete for a spot, and be held accountable...then yes.  They should get to experience the Friday night lights..as you put it.  However...at schools like Sabine Pass all you have to do is show up..maybe not even that..and you can get you a letterman jacket.  To me that's quite a disservice to most kids around the country who have to work their tails off and earn a spot on whatever football team they play for.  Or any other activiy..even valedictorian/salutatorian.