A New Boneyard in Vidor

robanadana

Since this is a football related topic I thought it appropriate to put it under this thread. I'm really tired of cancelling games, moving games to another stadium or even worse, playing games like the one we had against Barbers Hill two years in that cattle pen we call a football field. Last night was the perfect example of why we need a new BONEYARD! At the very least, we should have had turf five years ago. I'm hearing that a new high school is in the works at the site of the old Junior High; FEMA is footing most of the bill since those buildings went completely underwater. We should pass a bond to put a new football stadium right next to it on the interstate for everyone to see. Great communities center around their school system and Jeff Mathews has put our football team into the elite category of the area. Wouldn't it be nice for everyone driving through our community to see that? Wouldn't it be great for our kids and the winning attitude they now have. Every year they compete and we need to show we back them. Let's get this done, VIDOR!

I remember when I first became a member of this site how much of an advocate for turf fields I was.  Even then.  Also remember getting quite a bit of ridicule and backlash about the topic.  

I feel now the same way I felt then.. every school in the state that plays football should be doing everything they can to turf their field.  Good luck to you robanadana.  I hope it works out for you guys.

VISD still awaits FEMA decision on Oak Forest and Middle School whether they are rebuilt or replaced so no decision about anything yet. Everything hinges on that. Turf at high school estimated at $1 million and is looked at favorably by the decision makers. No land bought on 12, no decisions on anything until FEMA decision on payment.

40 minutes ago, VHS73 said:

VISD still awaits FEMA decision on Oak Forest and Middle School whether they are rebuilt or replaced so no decision about anything yet. Everything hinges on that. Turf at high school estimated at $1 million and is looked at favorably by the decision makers. No land bought on 12, no decisions on anything until FEMA decision on payment.

True, nothing is happening until FEMA decision is made concerning Oak Forest Elementary and Vidor Middle School. Both have been empty since Harvey flooded them and meanwhile, students are in portable buildings.  A turf field would be great, but at this time and for the foreseeable future, no funding  is available.

Imo, many schools don’t have votes on bond issues soon enough.  As an example, a schools HS needs replacing - Have a bond issue for Xxx,000,000 amount of dollars.  But it appears they wait until an elementary needs replacing.  Then, let’s have a Bond Issue, and BTW, lets put a new stadium in there, and replace all our desk with Laz-Z-Boy recliners.  Now the Bond Issue is a whooping XXX,000,000 amount.  Voters vote it down.  Again, imo, voters are more apt to approve multiple smaller Bond Issues that one giant one.  It’s easier to eat an elephant over a period of time than try to eat the whole thing all at once.  And that’s a memo.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Imo, many schools don’t have votes on bond issues soon enough.  As an example, a schools HS needs replacing - Have a bond issue for Xxx,000,000 amount of dollars.  But it appears they wait until an elementary needs replacing.  Then, let’s have a Bond Issue, and BTW, lets put a new stadium in there, and replace all our desk with Laz-Z-Boy recliners.  Now the Bond Issue is a whooping XXX,000,000 amount.  Voters vote it down.  Again, imo, voters are more apt to approve multiple smaller Bond Issues that one giant one.  It’s easier to eat an elephant over a period of time than try to eat the whole thing all at once.  And that’s a memo.

Right.   Small bites instead one big one.   I think Nederland is figuring that out too, finally.   BTW,  When has Vidor football been at an elite status Rob?  :)

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

I get what all of you are saying but I disagree about a bond not passing. Several people I've talked to agree with the things I'm talking about. The bond for the new high school, and it was without a new stadium, failed because they held it on a Saturday morning as basically a stand alone and there were no other elections at that time. It needs better PR and to be held during a general election where there is a better turnout and I think it would have a better chance of passing. It's a pet peeve of mine and may be something I pursue. At the very least, the old Boneyard needs turf and it needs it now. Not playing our home games because of weather is not acceptable. Maybe I can get President Trump involved.....

4 minutes ago, robanadana said:

I get what all of you are saying but I disagree about a bond not passing. Several people I've talked to agree with the things I'm talking about. The bond for the new high school, and it was without a new stadium, failed because they held it on a Saturday morning as basically a stand alone and there were no other elections at that time. It needs better PR and to be held during a general election where there is a better turnout and I think it would have a better chance of passing. It's a pet peeve of mine and may be something I pursue. At the very least, the old Boneyard needs turf and it needs it now. Not playing our home games because of weather is not acceptable. Maybe I can get President Trump involved.....

All it takes is some of the older people who get it in their heads that their taxes are going way up to vote down the bond.   Most of the time they are the majority of the voters locally.   Speaking from experience.

8 minutes ago, bigdog said:

Right.   Small bites instead one big one.   I think Nederland is figuring that out too, finally.   BTW,  When has Vidor football been at an elite status Rob?  :)

Look at our record over the last ten years Mr. Dog; I think between the two of us we were the last to be a district champion. Go bark about that.

5 minutes ago, robanadana said:

Look at our record over the last ten years Mr. Dog; I think between the two of us we were the last to be a district champion. Go bark about that.

What am I looking for again?? :)

2008                    5-4-0         218-162         Jeff Mathews
2009       F--         7-4-0         345-245         Jeff Mathews
2010                    2-8-0         182-292         Jeff Mathews
2011       T--       10-3-0         384-290         Jeff Mathews
2012       R           9-2-0         447-216         Jeff Mathews
2013                    4-6-0         303-274         Jeff Mathews
2014                    2-8-0         251-358         Jeff Mathews
2015                    3-7-0         279-351         Jeff Mathews
2016      TRI-        8-3-0         362-247         Jeff Mathews
2017        F--        5-4-0         314-229         Jeff Mathews

Just need to bite the bullet and pass the bond, its usually the older population that does not want to pass it while the younger population is all for it. All the bigger schools should have turf I agree with that and they play hard and deserve a nice field and facility not to mention when they host other schools......just hung up on the "elite" status....... must be a Vidor thing

Sorry Rob, love your enthusiasm but Vidor  is not an elite program. Very competitive some years better than others but not elite. Love my Pirates but just trying to be real , no pun intended. Would love to have  a turf field but it’s got to come with new schools. I don’t mind paying a little more taxes. Right now I have a 13 year old going to a 60 year old school and a 10 year old going to a portable building because of Harvey. Our Schools are as old as Nederlands. I voted yes for the new High School last year but it got voted down. Hopefully we can get it voted thru next time with some better community awareness and convenient times and days to vote. Anyway Go Pirates! keep working hard!

3 hours ago, Guitar Man said:

Vidor residents will not pass a bond to increase their taxes to build anything. They have already denied it once and they will deny it again and again. If the FEMA deal works out, that would be great, but don't rely on the town to pass a bond to turf the field or build new schools. 

Sounds like Nederland 

8 minutes ago, Bulldogpower said:

Yes, instead we got an updated school......its like come on guys just build the school and stadium. 90% refinery workers, have $300K homes crammed on every street corner but God forbid we get new stuff for the youth.

I feel your pain Bulldogpower! Very frustrating! They’ve done the same thing here in Vidor. It’s like spraying perfume on a turd! Just build some new schools!!

18 minutes ago, Bulldogpower said:

Yes, instead we got an updated school......its like come on guys just build the school and stadium. 90% refinery workers, have $300K homes crammed on every street corner but God forbid we get new stuff for the youth.

Great kids at Nederland needs some new stuff

1 hour ago, Realville said:

Sorry Rob, love your enthusiasm but Vidor  is not an elite program. Very competitive some years better than others but not elite. Love my Pirates but just trying to be real , no pun intended. Would love to have  a turf field but it’s got to come with new schools. I don’t mind paying a little more taxes. Right now I have a 13 year old going to a 60 year old school and a 10 year old going to a portable building because of Harvey. Our Schools are as old as Nederlands. I voted yes for the new High School last year but it got voted down. Hopefully we can get it voted thru next time with some better community awareness and convenient times and days to vote. Anyway Go Pirates! keep working hard!

My suggestion:  get it out on social media, as far as the correct information goes.   That counteracts the rumors and other stuff that goes around, and lets face it, you reach a lot more people via social media these days.

A question for the Bulldog fans.  If y’all get artificial turf, will they spread K-Y Jelly in some areas?  Be like a minefield - Ned would run their plays away from those areas, and the visitors will be slipping down when they try to advance the ball over the “treated areas”.  Sounds like a plan :) 

5 minutes ago, Hagar said:

A question for the Bulldog fans.  If y’all get artificial turf, will they spread K-Y Jelly in some areas?  Be like a minefield - Ned would run their plays away from those areas, and the visitors will be slipping down when they try to advance the ball over the “treated areas”.  Sounds like a plan :) 

Shhhhhh! Don’t give away the plan! :)