PNG vs Tomball

RoschonsBigBro

I guess this is what to expect for next year without RJ, PNG can't do this and they can't do that. What ever, We'll be just like any other school and have ups and downs. We've been deep in the playoffs without RJ and will do it again. For right now, some good points were made as for as inexperience. Rogers or Bost will do just fine and get some of that experience they need. Also, as the games go by our receiving crew is getting better. They are not Riggs, but they'll do good. Weunchel and Ceja are actually a dang good receivers. Our defense seems to be doing better than the last few years and that gives me hope. 

32 minutes ago, FrodoNDN said:

I guess this is what to expect for next year without RJ, PNG can't do this and they can't do that. What ever, We'll be just like any other school and have ups and downs. We've been deep in the playoffs without RJ and will do it again. For right now, some good points were made as for as inexperience. Rogers or Bost will do just fine and get some of that experience they need. Also, as the games go by our receiving crew is getting better. They are not Riggs, but they'll do good. Weunchel and Ceja are actually a dang good receivers. Our defense seems to be doing better than the last few years and that gives me hope. 

I think you're missing the overall point. You don't have to wait until next year without RJ, you saw a glimpse of what PNG was without him Friday against a decent team. You lost by 17 with him playing most of the game, do you honestly think you don't get beat by 30+ without him? He makes PNG's whole team better because of the way you have to defend him. PNG's defense is still bad, a lot of that gets covered up because RJ can keep the sticks moving with his legs and maximize PNG's time of possession. Thus minimizing the amount of time the Indians defense is on the field with chance of exposure.

Do you really feel like PNG is good for any reason other than having RJ at qb? He's literally 90+% of the offense. PNG has a faithful fan base and I'm sure the community will do what it takes to win but much like Westeberg is finding out at BH, it's hard to continuously beat good teams if you don't consistently produce the athletes that give you a chance. I can't remember the last time PNG had one but I think you're underestimating the value of a transcendent player.  

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I think you're missing the overall point. You don't have to wait until next year without RJ, you saw a glimpse of what PNG was without him Friday against a decent team. You lost by 17 with him playing most of the game, do you honestly think you don't get beat by 30+ without him? He makes PNG's whole team better because of the way you have to defend him. PNG's defense is still bad, a lot of that gets covered up because RJ can keep the sticks moving with his legs and maximize PNG's time of possession. Thus minimizing the amount of time the Indians defense is on the field with chance of exposure.

Do you really feel like PNG is good for any reason other than having RJ at qb? He's literally 90+% of the offense. PNG has a faithful fan base and I'm sure the community will do what it takes to win but much like Westeberg is finding out at BH, it's hard to continuously beat good teams if you don't consistently produce the athletes that give you a chance. I can't remember the last time PNG had one but I think you're underestimating the value of a transcendent player.  

While it will be impossibke to disagree with you concerning the value of Mr Johnson, but PNG has consistently been a good team for a very long time. I guess interpreting how good is up to the person deciding. As a pretty longtime fan of PNG football Incan tell you historically we have been to the State Championship 6 times and won 3 and about every 20-25 years we have made it. The deal with PNG is we have athletes come through in waves every few years. I am not worried about PNG it’s sort of like a statement you made a few years ago that stuck with me. You stated that a school like PNG will never beat a team like Crosby because of changing demographics and the expansion of the area, which maybe makes it more difficult for a landlocked team to compete. But Inhabe heard it all before. I have heard the only reason we are good is  getting lucky to have Roschon and we are. I have heard we can’t grow yet we consistently compete. Yet once again we were able to make 3 rounds two years in a row. Roschon will be playing at Texas and PNG will go on and our next group will be their to answer the call. I hesitate to bring up last years defeat of Crosby I believe thy either team could have won. Both teams played so hard I felt terrible for your team coaches and fans and have made a few friends because of last years game. PNG defeated a representitive from your former district the last three years and the first one was from before Roschon. We were able to figure out a way to do it and we will again post Mr Roschon. Just like you have faith in Coach Riordon I do in ours as well. Look I am super happy for Crosby and fans for your defeat and look forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks. I always feel different about teams in my disyrict than those in opposing districts so you want here much negative for  me because I support our district mates .

1 hour ago, prepballfan said:

While it will be impossibke to disagree with you concerning the value of Mr Johnson, but PNG has consistently been a good team for a very long time. I guess interpreting how good is up to the person deciding. As a pretty longtime fan of PNG football Incan tell you historically we have been to the State Championship 6 times and won 3 and about every 20-25 years we have made it. The deal with PNG is we have athletes come through in waves every few years. I am not worried about PNG it’s sort of like a statement you made a few years ago that stuck with me. You stated that a school like PNG will never beat a team like Crosby because of changing demographics and the expansion of the area, which maybe makes it more difficult for a landlocked team to compete. But Inhabe heard it all before. I have heard the only reason we are good is  getting lucky to have Roschon and we are. I have heard we can’t grow yet we consistently compete. Yet once again we were able to make 3 rounds two years in a row. Roschon will be playing at Texas and PNG will go on and our next group will be their to answer the call. I hesitate to bring up last years defeat of Crosby I believe thy either team could have won. Both teams played so hard I felt terrible for your team coaches and fans and have made a few friends because of last years game. PNG defeated a representitive from your former district the last three years and the first one was from before Roschon. We were able to figure out a way to do it and we will again post Mr Roschon. Just like you have faith in Coach Riordon I do in ours as well. Look I am super happy for Crosby and fans for your defeat and look forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks. I always feel different about teams in my disyrict than those in opposing districts so you want here much negative for  me because I support our district mates .

Well said! I have been attending PNG games for 53 years & you are spot on.  PNG consistently finds a way to compete.

We have bad & good years, but we form a cohesive group of well coached, solid athletes & I am proud to be an Indian!

5 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

(Note: I'm not responding exclusively to Cougar 14.2, but this quote sums up a lot of what I'm responding to on this thread. Appreciate ya'll, and I'm enjoying the back and forth from everyone.)

Judging PNG on a single game is silly -- I admit there are causes for concern, but looking at "How PNG was without RJ" in the minutes after he got hurt is not a good look at how PNG will be without him. Losing a player like RJ mid-game is demoralizing. Let's see how PNG plays with a week to prepare for it. 

What is strange to me out of all of this is how quick/eager everyone is to rush to use a single game as an indictment on the entire PNG program (a program with more history and better results than most teams represented on this forum). PNG has had really good moments in recent history, really good moments that didn't involve Roschon Johnson. 

Further, let's stop acting like Roschon Johnson doesn't benefit from being at PNG. It's true that: 1) he would be good anywhere, and 2) he has a seemingly never-ending list of God-given talents and innate ability that anyone would term "once-in-a-generation" (to quote Coach Riordan of Crosby). But it is also true that we cannot fully separate Roschon's rapid development from the good quarterback coaching he gets from Coach Faircloth. Coach Faircloth has a long history of making so-so QBs decent, good QBs great, and great QBs legendary. There is no measurable way to concretely say that being at PNG hasn't made Roschon better. It is strange to me the tendency people on this site have to separate RJ from PNG, as if he isn't on the team. He is certainly a huge part of what makes PNG good at this point in time, but if this team had developed without him (as all but two other PNG teams in history have had to do), the team would find ways to be good, as the vast majority of PNG teams have done. 

None of this is intended to minimize the impact RJ has, and his value to the team. In my opinion, he is by the far the best, most dynamic player in PNG history. 

Finally, this idea that PNG is "just not that good" deserves some consideration. Good, relative to what? The reality is that there are several hundred teams in Texas. Half of them are at or below average. On a normal statistical distribution, about 60% of the teams will cluster on either side of the median, being slightly better or slightly worse than average. Does anyone honestly think that PNG is below average in the state of Texas? And, if we are above average, doesn't that make us "good." I don't mean "great," I don't mean "legendary." I mean "good." And even if I were to take at face value the argument that PNG is "simply not good," then I have to ask why PNG has so consistently beaten so many teams represented on this forum? If PNG is so bad, what's wrong with the rest of you? If PNG is so bad, we certainly over-perform enough for us to be confident that things are going to be ok. 

It also strikes me as telling that some of the most eager voices to rush to put dirt on the PNG grave site support programs with less pedigree.

Crosby? They are good right now, but they have certainly had their ups and downs in recent history.

Port Arthur? Given the talent, depth, and potential with which that team is swarming, juxtaposed with its mostly so-so performance across its 15-ish years in existence, Port Arthur might be one of the most under-performing teams in the area.

Nederland? Certainly a solid program, but the Bulldogs are no strangers to starting out slow and finishing strong.

So before we all rush to write PNG's obituary, a little perspective can help see that we'll be fine. Even if we lose on Saturday, even if this whole season goes down the drain (I say it won't, but time will tell), we still have a proven history of coming back the next year and punching "better" teams right in the teeth. 

Man, I have no idea how y’all read that and got that I don’t think PNG isn’t a good program? I’m just saying without players like RJ that PNG is going to have a hard time producing seasons like the last two, much less beating the upper tier teams. That has zero bearing on whether you deem your season a success. 

Prep, you highlighted my point. You honestly think PNG beats Crosby last year for no other reason than RJ putting up 10 tds by himself? My entire point is that players like that change your fortune by covering up a lot of deficiencies. Otherwise you look like PNG did against an Angleton team Crosby had shut out 34-0 earlier that year. PNG might technically average going to the state championship every so often but if you really look at the numbers they say something different.

They played for a state title in 1999, since then they haven’t even made it past the regional semis. Furthermore, I can name five schools off the top of my head that didn’t even exist and have won regional titles since PNG last played for one. Dawson, Cedar Park, Ridge Point, Manvel and George Ranch which speaks to my other point about the changing demographics. Crosby is more like those new growing schools than the Crosby of a couple decades ago which is what I meant. PNG hasn’t won more than 11 games in a season or for that matter had back to back 10 win seasons without RJ. What are you considering consistently compete, whenever I say that the talk goes to state championships? Again, that has zero to do with being a good program or having good seasons. 

Rez Ipsa, how does RJ benefit from playing at PNG with less talented players around him and having more thrust upon his shoulders? The kid had over 600 carries from the qb position in two years because that’s how PNG has to win games, at schools where he could actually hand off to a rb he would’ve probably developed more as a passer. I’m sure Faircloth is good with qbs but him teaching RJ the passing game isn’t the reason he’s going to Texas and the last thing he’s done is rapidly develop him. The district isn’t overly strong so I don’t think anybody is throwing dirt on PNG’s season. As far as Crosby having a down year you’re correct, we had one last year. It was only the second time in a decade we lost in the first round. I think people get a little perturbed about hearing RJ is the entire team or they won’t be as good without him but there is very little data that says otherwise. Once again, that has nothing to do with being a good program or having what you deem a good season. 

9 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Man, I have no idea how y’all read that and got that I don’t think PNG isn’t a good program? I’m just saying without players like RJ that PNG is going to have a hard time producing seasons like the last two, much less beating the upper tier teams. That has zero bearing on whether you deem your season a success. 

Prep, you highlighted my point. You honestly think PNG beats Crosby last year for no other reason than RJ putting up 10 tds by himself? My entire point is that players like that change your fortune by covering up a lot of deficiencies. Otherwise you look like PNG did against an Angleton team Crosby had shut out 34-0 earlier that year. PNG might technically average going to the state championship every so often but if you really look at the numbers they say something different.

They played for a state title in 1999, since then they haven’t even made it past the regional semis. Furthermore, I can name five schools off the top of my head that didn’t even exist and have won regional titles since PNG last played for one. Dawson, Cedar Park, Ridge Point, Manvel and George Ranch which speaks to my other point about the changing demographics. Crosby is more like those new growing schools than the Crosby of a couple decades ago which is what I meant. PNG hasn’t won more than 11 games in a season or for that matter had back to back 10 win seasons without RJ. What are you considering consistently compete, whenever I say that the talk goes to state championships? Again, that has zero to do with being a good program or having good seasons. 

Rez Ipsa, how does RJ benefit from playing at PNG with less talented players around him and having more thrust upon his shoulders? The kid had over 600 carries from the qb position in two years because that’s how PNG has to win games, at schools where he could actually hand off to a rb he would’ve probably developed more as a passer. I’m sure Faircloth is good with qbs but him teaching RJ the passing game isn’t the reason he’s going to Texas and the last thing he’s done is rapidly develop him. The district isn’t overly strong so I don’t think anybody is throwing dirt on PNG’s season. As far as Crosby having a down year you’re correct, we had one last year. It was only the second time in a decade we lost in the first round. I think people get a little perturbed about hearing RJ is the entire team or they won’t be as good without him but there is very little data that says otherwise. Once again, that has nothing to do with being a good program or having what you deem a good season. 

We can definitely use Dawson and Cedar Park and Ridge Point Manvel and George Ranch we will look back at them in 30 or 40 years or 50 -80 years and see how they stack up to them. You are correct but in the same since with out Swirl the game is a blowout by PNG. 

Really, I pretty much expect it. We at PNG know our history better than most, but it doesn't take much to go back and look at our record and see we've faired pretty well. Yes we've had ups and downs. Some downs went for more than we wanted, but I think every school goes through that. We are going to miss RJ. But I want to wait until next year to say, I miss him. He is still here and I want to enjoy watching him in purple and white for one more year. Hopefully safe and healthly. I will reflect back on his years too as I watch him at UT just like I did with Dustin Long, another great PNG QB. Cougar 14.2 can have his opinion because you know what they say about opinions. I mean we made to regionals 4 times out of the last 10 years.Made it to area 5 out of the last ten. That is not too shabby.

25 minutes ago, indianforever said:

Who is starting at qb for PNG?

Not to be critical of anyone, but how is it none of the PNG fans know who the backup QB is ?  I would think the designated backup would have gotten ATLEAST half of the snaps during the two scrimmages.  It should be real clear who it is unless that didn't happen. Furthermore, y'all blew out Silsbee in the opener, did the backup not get any reps in ?

20 minutes ago, CCRed said:

Not to be critical of anyone, but how is it none of the PNG fans know who the backup QB is ?  I would think the designated backup would have gotten ATLEAST half of the snaps during the two scrimmages.  It should be real clear who it is unless that didn't happen. Furthermore, y'all blew out Silsbee in the opener, did the backup not get any reps in ?

Everyone knows that Rogers the SR. backup is the primary backup with Bost probably taking over next year.  That information is in this thread and the Huntsville thread.  He probably meant, which one will start? In that case, its easy to go with the kid that has actually played, Rogers, but if he falters, Bost will prolly be on the sideline getting ready.