Hurricane Week

RaiderRed30

Didn't see a hurricane topic created for this year. Might as well start one up.

Looks like this might be the week of hurricanes for the US with 4 storms possibly slamming different places starting tomorrow night.

Typhoon Mangkhut which is barreling down the NMI. Will hit one of the islands at about 125 sometime tomorrow night or Tuesday morning. As of yesterday morning it was going to hit guam but then last moved forecast moved it to Rota and now in between Rota and Tinian. I'm on the northernmost island and we have just recovered from Soudelor in 2016. That one left the island without power for three months. Cimaron passed through two weeks ago and gave us a foot of rain in one day. There is a navy ship ready just off the lagoon in case. Will be a fun ride on such a small island. Know we don't ever make the news in the mainland but in the past month we have had Cimaron come through my island, Jebi pass over the northern islands at 120 mph, and a 6.4 earthquake.

Then Olivia is threatening to dump even more rain on Maui and the Big Island sometime Wednesday.

Florence hitting Charleston Thursday possibly at 130 mph.

Finally possibly Puerto Rico on Saturday being hit.

Crazy week building up and thought this deserved a thread.

Just an update. 

Luckily my island was spared with only 80-85 mph winds. Our southern island Rota however had sustained winds of 130 mph with tropical storm force winds for about 8 hours along with about 10 inches of rain. Biggest issue was waves as 70% of the island live in a village that is maybe 1000 feet wide from one ocean to the other and the waves were 40 feet. Still hearing news and getting small info but it looks like bad. 

US Citizens in a US territory

6 hours ago, RaiderRed30 said:

Just an update. 

Luckily my island was spared with only 80-85 mph winds. Our southern island Rota however had sustained winds of 130 mph with tropical storm force winds for about 8 hours along with about 10 inches of rain. Biggest issue was waves as 70% of the island live in a village that is maybe 1000 feet wide from one ocean to the other and the waves were 40 feet. Still hearing news and getting small info but it looks like bad. 

US Citizens in a US territory

Prayers for those impacted by this storm.

Sure seems like, based on the media reports, that our hurricanes are fairly weak and insignificant.  Because it’s on the east coast, you’d have thought Florence was the storm of the century.  I do feel bad for the folks in the Carolinas because they’re getting a bad taste of what we got with Harvey.  Just don’t remember all the angst with Harvey I’m seeing now.

Just saw a report on the town of Lumberton, NC.  The devastation of that community and many others along the rivers there is very real and heart breaking.  Maybe it’s the name of the town but it seemed to hit close to home for them.  Sensationalism or not, there are a lot of people hurting on the East Coast.  Let’s hope we’ve heard the last of the tropics for this year.  

I know there are people suffering from Florence, and my heart goes out to them, but it IS the sensationalism that I can't stand. Harvey raised the water to almost cover my street mailbox. Never did I see Anderson Copper standing out there. Weather people were hoping for a Cat5 and got a 1 or less in the Carolinas.

Many of those poor people there will still not have their homes finished a year from now.  They know it’s going to be bad, but they have no idea how bad.  It’s one thing to dig dirt out of a small hole.  It’s something else when the Grand Canyon is full of dirt.

• 1 month later...