Huntsville 31 Port Neches-Groves 14/FINAL

WOSgrad

Our defense did get push around a few times, but the coaches made good adjustments like last week and they played well.  The o-line needs to be revamped or set a fire to them to get motivated.  Big bodies yes, but they don’t show heart which on the field looks weak.  Outcome, one of the best qb’s in the nation injured tonight.  

RJ took a beating last night! The Huntsville defense was good all around. The defensive front was really good and they were blitzing DB’s and LB’s all night. They simply sent more people than we could block. I never seen us keep anyone in to help block. RJ showed a lot of courage and would sit there until the last minute. When he decided to take off he didnt get far. The UT bound Sweat kid is a beast! We will not see another defensive player this good. He could get after the passer and when we tried to run he was all over the ball carrier. Garth would do good in pass protection when Sweat lined up on his side. They moved him from side to side which was smart. He wasn’t the only part of their defense though. They tackled well in the open field. Defensively we played pretty good other than the first 2 drives. We definitely missed the 2 starters. Much improved from last year. Offensively we dont have any speed and good secondary’s will shut us down. Our offensive line coach was trying his best to get them guys motivated. But some of it was not all their fault. They were bringing more than they could block. 

We were very undisciplined tonite. Several penalties and several times players were not on the field when their unit was called on. We had to take penalties and call timeouts because player’s were not paying attention. We also had kid’s fighting with each other on the sideline. Sometimes you gotta let the coach’s coach and as a player you play. We had a stupid personal foul behind the play. Then after the foul he argued with the referee and got another flag. I seen the play as it happened and I was hollering why would he do that. The fans were booing the call but it was the right call. You cant blindside a guy 15 yards behind the play. For one thing they are eliminating blindside hits for safety reasons. The other reason is that block did nothing because he was 15 yards behind the play and it was when the runner was going down. Really just a bonehead play. I was shocked they let him right back on the field after protesting the call and getting another penalty. For people saying when you come to the Reservation get ready to play refs, well not last night. We also had several kids cramping up. And they were at key positions. One of the players was a WR who was playing very well. I never seen any of their players go off with cramping issues. So I’m not sure what they are doing diffferent. RJ made some really tough throws and we dropped them early in the game. A couple of the drops were drive killers and one was a TD. I’m sure there was a lot of edited talking going on out there. Because several times our players were getting heated. I can see Huntsville having a really good season. If RJ is ok and can still play then I see us finishing 2nd or 3rd in the district. 

9 hours ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

They had a good plan. 

Its easier to defend when you don't have the deep threat that Riggs was to keep defenders honest and your also missing your blocks. Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

The "deep threat" was null and void last night.  RJ never had the time to sit back there and wait for a receiver to get downfield.

They were a very physical team with very good tackling techniques. There were times RJ would break open and do his thing, but the defensive player stayed home and made the tackle.  Best I've seen him tackled in the three years as qb. Also, we must remember that RJ worked with Riggs and Hughes for two years and developed a timing with them. That will come with this group. Wenchuel is a good receiver and will step up nicely. After watching the film's, I suspect the receivers will be doing catching drills all week. Too many well thrown balls dropped, including one that would have given us a TD but instead had to punt. Time will tell guys. I think our D did well against a very well coached team. Huntsville is in a tough district and we should be able gauge as move along.

Edited by FrodoNDN
Wrong word

I’m sure some of y’all remember a poster from several years ago named squaw. Arguably PN-G’s biggest fan, this was an old woman famous for having purple underwear and sneaking into the Astrodome early to get better seats at PN-G games in the ‘70s. She had a couple of sons who played on those teams in PN-G’s vaunted glory years.

She frequently used to say that the best motivation for some of those PN-G teams was taking a hard loss early in the season. In those days, it was normally to TJ or Lincoln. For the vaunted PN-G teams of 1989 and 1999, it was losing to West Orange-Stark. My senior year, the 2010 season, it was losing four games by a touchdown or less in the regular season. The point is, getting kicked in the teeth has a way of focusing high school kids. I think we all know what those teams I’ve mentioned went on to accomplish.

What I’m seeing described in these threads - players fighting on the sidelines, excessive penalties because kids are getting too emotional on the field, players not paying attention to the coaches, and so on - sounds like exactly what you would expect of a team that’s gone 23-4 the last two years and has only lost to the likes of Nederland, Memorial and College Station. They didn’t walk into this game expecting to get beat on their own field by a dark horse team nobody’s paying attention to. And when they got exposed, they didn’t no how to react.

This is a learning experience. We now know every way a defense can throw a wrench in our offense, and we’ve seen it done by arguably the best 5A defense in the state. This is the first opportunity I can recall in the Faircloth era for a good PN-G team to take a hard look in the mirror early in the season, and work on its shortcomings. Now we really get to find out how these kids respond in the face of real adversity.

Bear Bryant had a famous quote Alabama lives by that I wish some Texas fans would learn. “It’s awfully important to win with humility. It’s also important to lose. I hate to lose worse than anyone, but if you never lose, you won’t know how to act. If you lose with humility, then you can come back.” Let’s do that.

Scalp ‘em.

3 hours ago, FrodoNDN said:

Also, we must remember that RJ worked with Riggs and Hughes for two years and developed a timing with them. 

This is exactly our issue! Most of the receivers on the field this year have never worked with Roschon so they don’t have that chemistry yet. We have 3 or 4 with some speed they just need get comfortable out there.

Let’s also remember that these kids probably went in feeling a little a little defeated and had some extra pressure last night.  Two of our key defensive players made a bad decision and let their whole team down just hours before the game. I know that’s not a good excuse but we are talking about young boys and that stuff gets in their heads.

So instead of getting on here and giving up on our team and telling these kids they aren’t worth the time...I choose to wish them the best and hope they get better each week.

10 hours ago, FrodoNDN said:

Also, when me or someone else says the defense looked good, you have to understand what we've been seeing for the past few years. Tackling has been very bad. What I liked about last night was our technique looked a lot better. Looks like they've been working on it. 

Nothing Could be Worse than PNG and Crosby's defenses last year. YIKES!!!!!