Newton 56 Silsbee 14/FINAL

WOSgrad

Newton is definitely loaded. Tigers came out got a big stop on 4th down.  Marched downfield had a td called back and still punched it in.  We cameout with a new set that i dont remember seeing last week and pretty much pushed our way downfield.  Then we pretty much went away from that the rest of the night.  Taylor had a few good runs but we still didnt get anything going.  Most of that was definitely due to The Eagles d but i am still no fan of the 2 qb system.  I really didnt notice how many players Newton had going both ways but you definitely knew Brown was on both sides.  At the beginning of the game it seemed like he was going to be the lone Tiger killer but then came #4 with a long run or two and some good passing from #5.  Newton is definitely the better team but we have enough talent that it should be closer than that in my opinion and definitely not look as easy as it looked.  

When the preseason rankings/hype came out iwondered about such high rankings for us.  Sure i knew part of it had to do with us dropping down but we hadnt proven anything.  Mow its time for us to dig deep and prove that we deserved some of that.  And it doesnt get a whole lot easier next week.  Keep plugging away Tigers the season is young!  

Newton is very good.  Silsbee needs a looot of work.  The o-lineman blocked on only the first drive of the game.  They stopped blocking after that and got pushed around. The silsbee playcalling became very predictable.  When Taylor is at QB, it's a run play.  The lead run worked only twice tonight and we ran it all night.  Our QB play isn't good and just makes me wonder if anyone is working with this young an during practice.  The wild tiger offense only worked once.  Never do that again.  Defense showed flashes of good.  Then when you get excited, they give up a big play.  Part of that has to do with Newton's big 3, but I saw another Newton player, #14 I think, made the whole silsbee defense look silly on that one play.  Newton is a run away freight train and probably will go undefeated.Silsbee faces Nederland.  I expect a PN-G type outcome unless our coaching staff can get it together.. 

4 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Newton is very good.  Silsbee needs a looot of work.  The o-lineman blocked on only the first drive of the game.  They stopped blocking after that and got pushed around. The silsbee playcalling became very predictable.  When Taylor is at QB, it's a run play.  The lead run worked only twice tonight and we ran it all night.  Our QB play isn't good and just makes me wonder if anyone is working with this young an during practice.  The wild tiger offense only worked once.  Never do that again.  Defense showed flashes of good.  Then when you get excited, they give up a big play.  Part of that has to do with Newton's big 3, but I saw another Newton player, #14 I think, made the whole silsbee defense look silly on that one play.  Newton is a run away freight train and probably will go undefeated.Silsbee faces Nederland.  I expect a PN-G type outcome unless our coaching staff can get it together.. 

Yes its hard to see too many positives on either side of the ball when you get beat like we have the last couple of weeks.  But i like what i have seen at least in pieces from our defense as far as our run defense.  We just need to put together a full game.  As far as pass defense,  well it needs to improve but we have faced two teams that well put a lot of pressure on that secondary.

7 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Yes its hard to see too many positives on either side of the ball when you get beat like we have the last couple of weeks.  But i like what i have seen at least in pieces from our defense as far as our run defense.  We just need to put together a full game.  As far as pass defense,  well it needs to improve but we have faced two teams that well put a lot of pressure on that secondary.

....Silsbee's secondary very well could be the most experienced secondarys in SETX with a couple of 3 year starters and a 2 year starter, one of which has a d-1 offer.  They should be up for the challenge but you put yourself at a disadvantage when you play a soft zone and 15 yards off the receiver.  

52 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

This is year 3 of the Silsbee coaching staff and I still not sold on what their doing. When you have super talented kids it can over come some of the issues but these 1st two games. Geez!!!!! I think Silsbee the the game 5 times and ran the rest vs Newton? 

It’s a waste of talent that isn’t being utilized correctly imo.. I know newton is a beast, but if Silsbee is as good as what some fans were saying they are, as a coach you’ve gotta put up a better fight than that. It’s ok to get beat by newton, but you can’t be beat this bad.

51 minutes ago, Tiger90 said:

He was on the sidelines. 

Either the wrs were running poor routes or the q.b. was extremely inaccurate.  It looked both.

There is an old saying.....”when you have 2 qbs you have none.”  

The rbs ran hard.  Darrell Royal would of had a field day with the number of good backs.

Yes I was thinking what a group of backs for an old wishbone or maybe even power I.  Days of old.

22 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Yes I was thinking what a group of backs for an old wishbone or maybe even power I.  Days of old.

We ran the wishbone in the 90’s when I was in school imo to have a effective wishbone it starts with a option  Qb to beable to make the reads. Then the full back  has to be stud 3 to 4 yards a carry you have to get those line backers pinch down once that happens the Qb reads the d end and if you have a athletic Qb can be nightmare for teams. The oline has to be physical. 

6 minutes ago, LC-M said:

We ran the wishbone in the 90’s when I was in school imo to have a effective wishbone it starts with a option  Qb to beable to make the reads. Then the full back  has to be stud 3 to 4 yards a carry you have to get those line backers pinch down once that happens the Qb reads the d end and if you have a athletic Qb can be nightmare for teams. The oline has to be physical. 

Would have ago fit the right one at qb for sure 

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I'm really curious to see what's done in practice.  I overheard some fans by me say that they don't run the plays on Friday nights that they run in practice. 

And at some point, I believe the DC needs to be on the sidelines vs. Being in the press box to get his instructions to his players.  

Coach Allen, who is the DC, is on the sidelines.