Magnolia 43 Barbers Hill 13/FINAL

WOSgrad

13 hours ago, Hagar said:

Youve got to be good to win State.  That said, it’s easier to be “good” at a school as big as Allen.  Being successful at (the U. Of) Allen, doesn’t equate to being as good at a 5A-2 school.  Also, unless you’re getting quality transfers, sometimes your going to have off years, even in 5A.  I’d give him another year or two before having the shop class build a guillotine.  And that’s just my opinion.

I specifically remember that year 3 was gonna be the year.  The year that we all got to see the difference in a bad coach and a great coach reflected by results.  Playoffs by year 1 or 2, district championships and beyond by year 3.  Or something like that.  I remember the conversations.. Not trying to stir up anything but I have a pretty good memory still.  I haven't forgotten that I don't anyway.. I don't think.  Anyways.  I said then and I say still it takes much more than a good coach.  Have to have something to work with.  That's why I always defend coaches and I'll defend this one when people start realizing that he won't live up to the stupid expectations they had a few years ago.

5 hours ago, chorizo said:

coaching goes a long way,but gotta have talent,heart,and desire!!

I’ve posted this point several times over the years, but bear with me.  You know how us old timers tend to repeat ourselves  

Agreed chorizo.  And the “heart”, I equate with tradition.  When Magnolia went up 21-0 halfway thru the 1st Qtr, I suspect, barring some freak, quick TD’s, BH was through.  It’s what happens at Schools without winning tradition (heart).  Teams with winning traditions, such as WOS, PNG, Ned, they’re bowing up and figuring out how to come back and win.  The kids believe they can win.  Call it heart, tradition, or mindset, it’s an intangible that’s almost impossible for a coach to overcome.  

6 hours ago, Hagar said:

I’ve posted this point several times over the years, but bear with me.  You know how us old timers tend to repeat ourselves  

Agreed chorizo.  And the “heart”, I equate with tradition.  When Magnolia went up 21-0 halfway thru the 1st Qtr, I suspect, barring some freak, quick TD’s, BH was through.  It’s what happens at Schools without winning tradition (heart).  Teams with winning traditions, such as WOS, PNG, Ned, they’re bowing up and figuring out how to come back and win.  The kids believe they can win.  Call it heart, tradition, or mindset, it’s an intangible that’s almost impossible for a coach to overcome.  

I think this point is way under appreciated.  In Safety and Leadership circles it is called “resiliency”. They call it “grit” in education circles.  

I think it takes a couple of experiences of fighting out of the pit.  Then the culture can start to assume the identity. And it works the other way.  A culture gets down or behind, a couple people cave, and now, that is who you are.  

This is an identity, for a group or team, that is established very early and very hard to shed. 

On 9/5/2018 at 0:03 PM, jayhawk said:

Rome wasn't built in a day - What you see on the surface is the tip of the iceberg behind the scenes he is busy instilling his program and philosophy from grade 1 through 12- with the ongoing influx of increasing enrollment the future is going to be bright. ( money is never an  issue on the Hill )

Bro, if you’re fooled enough to think he plans to stay that long, then I’m not going to waste my time. 

After the Crosby/Manvel game, this post aged nicely. (The quote function is wonky at the moment)  

"Agreed chorizo.  And the “heart”, I equate with tradition.  When Magnolia went up 21-0 halfway thru the 1st Qtr, I suspect, barring some freak, quick TD’s, BH was through.  It’s what happens at Schools without winning tradition (heart).  Teams with winning traditions, such as WOS, PNG, Ned, they’re bowing up and figuring out how to come back and win.  The kids believe they can win.  Call it heart, tradition, or mindset, it’s an intangible that’s almost impossible for a coach to overcome."

On 9/6/2018 at 1:44 PM, Hagar said:

On 9/6/2018 at 1:44 PM, Hagar said:

I am a Barbers Hill transplant as most of us are and this kinda offends me a little anyway. You say Tradition when you talk about PNG or Nederland like they have always been at the top or even good. Tradition = Heart??? Here are some numbers that I could find. I went 20 years, because I don't know how long tradition is? Nederland 554-376-35 Last 20 years 161-76 PNG 589-345-33 Last 20 years 147-77  BH 577-309-27 Last 20 years 153-65  Crosby 451-418-33 Last 20 years 145-84. Wheres the extra tradition or heart or mindset that you are talking about that yall have east of the trinity? They look like the same programs to me. Crosby is on a roll now, but the last 20 years are not that impressive. Barbers Hill lost a lot last year more than the numbers they lost the leadership of a few that had been starting since their Soph. year. You can't replace that right away. I will take Crosby & Barbers Hill for the next 10 years in all sports

3 hours ago, Gorilla Bob said:

I am a Barbers Hill transplant as most of us are and this kinda offends me a little anyway. You say Tradition when you talk about PNG or Nederland like they have always been at the top or even good. Tradition = Heart??? Here are some numbers that I could find. I went 20 years, because I don't know how long tradition is? Nederland 554-376-35 Last 20 years 161-76 PNG 589-345-33 Last 20 years 147-77  BH 577-309-27 Last 20 years 153-65  Crosby 451-418-33 Last 20 years 145-84. Wheres the extra tradition or heart or mindset that you are talking about that yall have east of the trinity? They look like the same programs to me. Crosby is on a roll now, but the last 20 years are not that impressive. Barbers Hill lost a lot last year more than the numbers they lost the leadership of a few that had been starting since their Soph. year. You can't replace that right away. I will take Crosby & Barbers Hill for the next 10 years in all sports

Sorry if you’re offended.  It wasn’t meant to be.  I was merely pointing out one of the problems the new Coach at BH has to overcome.  Also, I did not mention Crosby because I’m not familiar with their history over the 65 years that I’ve watched, or kept up with, PNG & Ned (Btw, I’m not from Ned or PNG).  I based my assessment on what I’ve seen, or kept up with, which is “east of the trinity football”.  I do know both Ned and PNG have won State Championships.  My post was not an assessment of BH’s whole season, but only of that one game.  To point out an intangible the Coach cannot overcome in a couple of years.  I do think anyone writing off BH over that one game might be surprised.  In summary, relatively few teams have that tradition/heart.  It’s not a “win all”, but it’s something I grudgingly admire, the mindset to never quit.

Btw, the very thing Crosby exhibited last week against Manvel.  What an inspirational victory.