Newton 71 Kirbyville 0/FINAL

WOSgrad

The 2017 Class 3A, Division II State Champion Newton Eagles begin their 2018 campaign tonight as they host the Kirbyville Wildcats!  W.T. Johnston's Eagles went 15-0 on their way to the state title while the Wildcats, under 1st year head coach Craig Jones, went 3-6 last season.

Join Bobby Fillyaw, Donnie Meek and Jon Meek for all of the action from Singletary Stadium in Newton beginning with the Granger Chevrolet Pregame Show at 7:05 pm with the kickoff at 7:30 by clicking on the following link:

This is the hidden content, please

Follow Newton Eagles Football on Your Source for Sports in Southeast Texas, SETXsports.com!

3 hours ago, WildcatBacker said:

71-0 final. Nobody will challenge Newton this yr

Kirbyville has speed and good players.. they will be competitive when time comes. Newton just loaded with talent and speed .. they already ready for the playoffs.  Only one 1st down for Kville tonight correct me if I'm wrong. Newton was kicking field goals on 1st downs early 2nd half. 

7 hours ago, Billontherig said:

Why do that to those boys? Stupid..senseless

Unless you know the details of Newton substituting kids in and passing the ball late, it’s probably best not to say this. Very possible backups on the team took a running play and scored late. I’m not gonna tell a kid not to score when he just gets in.

27 minutes ago, dBerrySports said:

Unless you know the details of Newton substituting kids in and passing the ball late, it’s probably best not to say this. Very possible backups on the team took a running play and scored late. I’m not gonna tell a kid not to score when he just gets in.

You are correct. Newton outmatched us in every way, even the backups were scoring. And what's worth noting here is that it wasn't so much that we had a bad defense. We actually looked pretty decent on that side of the ball. But against Newton's offense, there was nothing we could do. I'm telling you, if you're on Newton's schedule this yr, be ready. You'll get the same treatment. It may not be 71-0 but I can assure you.....all of you will lose. 

29 minutes ago, WildcatBacker said:

You are correct. Newton outmatched us in every way, even the backups were scoring. And what's worth noting here is that it wasn't so much that we had a bad defense. We actually looked pretty decent on that side of the ball. But against Newton's offense, there was nothing we could do. I'm telling you, if you're on Newton's schedule this yr, be ready. You'll get the same treatment. It may not be 71-0 but I can assure you.....all of you will lose. 

If u don't cut down on netwons big ability it will be alot of running clocks. When u plays teams like that u gotta finds ways to slow them down and keep ur offense on the field. But saying it is one thing doing it is another.

Believe me. Coach Johnston took no joy in beating those boys like that. He did everything he could to keep the score down. I don't believe he threw a pass in the second half. The reserves have worked just as hard as the starters and you can't expect them to give less than their best. I hope the Cats can look back on this some day and say this is where the turnaround started. They have some talent. They just need to keep working hard and better days will be ahead. I wish them luck