Bridge City vs Diboll

ballwatch

So here we go, Diboll home opener will be vs the Bridge City Cardinals.  I don’t know much about the Cardinals, any fans willing to provide some input? 

Diboll comes in with high expectations this season after a disappointing first round loss to Gilmer last year.  They dropped down to 3A this season.  They bring back a good core group of players and most notably their D-1 recruit, RB/LB/DE Herbert Gums. Diboll will feature a new QB that appears to have put in some good work this summer.  Diboll will rely on the run much like last season but seems eager to develop a much needed passing game.  They have some new faces at the WR position and oline.  Overall, the ‘Jacks should be solid and should have some depth this season.  

No real input here, other than to say that IF Deshazo can get the Slot T working, the Cards will get their yards.  There's teams that run a lot with a feature back, and then there are teams that can hit from four different backs on any play.  It comes down to defensive discipline for Diboll.  If, and that's a big "IF," the Cards are in sync.

I'm excited to see what we're going to be working with this year.

10 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

No real input here, other than to say that IF Deshazo can get the Slot T working, the Cards will get their yards.  There's teams that run a lot with a feature back, and then there are teams that can hit from four different backs on any play.  It comes down to defensive discipline for Diboll.  If, and that's a big "IF," the Cards are in sync.

Defending a well run Slot T offense the first game of the season is always tough so I would expect BC to have their moments. Overall though I think Diboll will be too much in this one. 

13 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

No more Drapers coming down the pipeline? That kid was a beast.

44 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

No more Drapers coming down the pipeline? That kid was a beast.

Lara is supposed to be the 2nd coming of the big, bruising FB... he didn't do as much as I'd expected last year.  Ply is one to watch from the wing, I believe.  Young kid, but poised to make some noise.  

Like I said, I've kinda lost touch with the program so y'all know about as much as I do about the state of things in Cardinal Country.  

10 hours ago, jimmyw said:

got to go with Diboll, Cardinals with a new coach and a heavy running team.  if Newton couldn't run at will on the Jacks last year, I don't see the Cardinals being able to run. The Lumberjacks are gonna be salty. JMO

Didn’t Newton score 40 on Diboll?

5 hours ago, BlueOwl said:

Didn’t Newton score 40 on Diboll?

You are correct. 40-20 was the score. Newton faired well passing the ball that game. Barlow got his yards but Diboll did defend the run pretty good considering Newton’s pedigree. In all honesty though, the Newton team I saw later in the playoffs would have smashed my Lumberjacks and the team that beat us out of the playoffs. 

24 minutes ago, ballwatch said:

I sure hope that’s true, the offensive line lost a few to graduation but had some good guys coming in to fill those holes.  It all start with the line!

I agree that in the long run they will be just as good, if not better. Which should translate into more success with the drop in classification. However, they will not be as dominate in early in the season. Lots of turnover in both offensive and defensive lines and a new QB usually means a few weeks to gel.