UIL Train Horn Ban

JagMarine95

It depends on how the train horn is used.  If it is sounded after a score, that is fine. The problem is when it is sounded as the team kicks off.  The receiver is forced to concentrate on receiving the ball while a loud train horn blows in his ear.  That is just stupid & unsportsmanlike behavior.   Thank goodness, as a PNG Indian, we have plenty of fans & a great band to make noise.  We don't need train horns!:)

5 minutes ago, png9mon said:

It depends on how the train horn is used.  If it is sounded after a score, that is fine. The problem is when it is sounded as the team kicks off.  The receiver is forced to concentrate on receiving the ball while a loud train horn blows in his ear.  That is just stupid & unsportsmanlike behavior.   Thank goodness, as a PNG Indian, we have plenty of fans & a great band to make noise.  We don't need train horns!:)

I don't think I've heard anyone use the train horn as a distraction while live play is going on.  It's usually blown after the whistle...

14 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I don't think I've heard anyone use the train horn as a distraction while live play is going on.  It's usually blown after the whistle...

Kilgore in past seasons sounded their horn at every kick off ( yours & theirs).  Very distracting & poor sportsmanship.

My problem with this, with all the backdoor dealings going on to get kids to change schools (recruiting is a nice name for it), and other despicable shenanigans going on, why in the cornbread hail is the UIL worrying about train horns?  Limit them to immediately after TD’s.

Now UIL, start working on the bigger problems - recruiting - attacking officials - intentionally trying to injure a player, especially after the whistle - schools fudging on attendance - etc. etc.

Also, to make a point, it is just as rude for an opposing band to blast music while the other team is on offense. PNG has been guilty of this in past years,  and other local schools play non- stop under these circumstances. Good luck trying to stop this from happening. I suppose there is a different set of rules depending on what, or who, makes the unsportsmanlike noise/music.

20 hours ago, JagMarine95 said:

Lol i sound like the person to start a collection for one.......I looked it up its as easy as just buying a train horn kit

21 hours ago, JagMarine95 said:

Most teams either buy one, have it donated to them or a loyal fan goes out and salvages one from Lord knows where. Or if your Hardin Jefferson.....one of the coaches builds it himself.  

With the "Soul of the South", we don't need one...

4 hours ago, png9mon said:

Also, to make a point, it is just as rude for an opposing band to blast music while the other team is on offense. PNG has been guilty of this in past years,  and other local schools play non- stop under these circumstances. Good luck trying to stop this from happening. I suppose there is a different set of rules depending on what, or who, makes the unsportsmanlike noise/music.

Now, this is don't agree with.  So when do you want them to play?  One team is always going to have the ball.  To me, that's part of the Friday night experience...

51 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

I really though people liked the horn, I dont mind. Guess I was in the minority on that one.

I think it's probably 50-50. The problem is some places abuse it. Outside of a TD or team intro, there's no need to break up the perfect ambiance of a high school game.

That said, the UIL needs to stay out of this except for the playoffs. And the schools abusing the horn need to cut back it back. That's an issue that should be handled at the district level. 

9 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

I think it's probably 50-50. The problem is some places abuse it. Outside of a TD or team intro, there's no need to break up the perfect ambiance of a high school game.

That said, the UIL needs to stay out of this except for the playoffs. And the schools abusing the horn need to cut back it back. That's an issue that should be handled at the district level. 

I agree. TDs and is they way to go. Do people use it as crowd noise in key defensive series?  

You know what I hate? Those damn cowbells. For some reason that guy is always near me

9 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

I agree. TDs and is they way to go. Do people use it as crowd noise in key defensive series?  

You know what I hate? Those damn cowbells. For some reason that guy is always near me

Yes they do. And now because of stupid people it's a state problem. 

I'm just glad vuvuzuelas never caught on here. They can keep that in South Africa. No more cowbell

8 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Every series....most of us dont want to here cherokee every series either!!

Lol me too. I like the war chant but i hear ya. To be honest where i sit, between my dad, stattrax, and biaplayer, i really dont remember much of the band. We are out there talking too much s****. I forget the band is there until halftime or a td. I can imagine from the other side though lol