“Checks in the Mail” Falls Into Second Place

Hagar

Just wanted to pass along the new #1 lie (by omission?) ay least for older folks on Medicare.  Although aches & pains increasingly show up as you get older, I’ve been relatively healthy.  Recently though, I’ve noticed a trend at Doctor’s offices.  They’ll tell you they want to do a procedure.  You ask, Will Mediare cover it?  They reply, Sure Medicare will pay for it.  Sounds good, right?  Yes, Medicare does pay, but probably not all.  And that’s the kicker.  My latest visit I was hit with a sales pitch for a procedure that would put a used car salesman to shame.  After several days, I declined.  It felt more like a way to make money pitch than a needed medical procedure.

On 7/25/2018 at 10:02 PM, REBgp said:

Just wanted to pass along the new #1 lie (by omission?) ay least for older folks on Medicare.  Although aches & pains increasingly show up as you get older, I’ve been relatively healthy.  Recently though, I’ve noticed a trend at Doctor’s offices.  They’ll tell you they want to do a procedure.  You ask, Will Mediare cover it?  They reply, Sure Medicare will pay for it.  Sounds good, right?  Yes, Medicare does pay, but probably not all.  And that’s the kicker.  My latest visit I was hit with a sales pitch for a procedure that would put a used car salesman to shame.  After several days, I declined.  It felt more like a way to make money pitch than a needed medical procedure.

I’ve changed doctors several times for unnecessary procedures. Haven't used my Medicare yet. Just turned 65 and am still working. Have company insurance that I help pay for.

7 hours ago, baddog said:

I’ve changed doctors several times for unnecessary procedures. Haven't used my Medicare yet. Just turned 65 and am still working. Have company insurance that I help pay for.

I understand.  Worked until I was 70 and stayed on Co insurance.  Been on Medicare almost 3 years now, and it pays fairly well on routine Dr. visits.  It’s the sneaky way, on more unusual test (like MRI’s) Dr’s, or their assistance will say, Medicare covers it, but neglect to say, “But not all of it”.  When you do retire, be sure to ask for specifics when you get out of routine medicine.  Even if you have to have the test/procedure you won’t get blindsided when you open the mail.

1 hour ago, REBgp said:

I understand.  Worked until I was 70 and stayed on Co insurance.  Been on Medicare almost 3 years now, and it pays fairly well on routine Dr. visits.  It’s the sneaky way, on more unusual test (like MRI’s) Dr’s, or their assistance will say, Medicare covers it, but neglect to say, “But not all of it”.  When you do retire, be sure to ask for specifics when you get out of routine medicine.  Even if you have to have the test/procedure you won’t get blindsided when you open the mail.

Think I'm gonna keep working and rathole some money. It's mine anyway.

• 3 months later...
On 7/28/2018 at 6:24 PM, baddog said:

Think I'm gonna keep working and rathole some money. It's mine anyway.

Durn right it’s yours.  One other thing, yes Medicare may pay most of your Dr., but then there’s the Radiologist, the Anesthesiologist, the Nurse, and the Janitor.  They all want a piece of you.