Renaming the Butch?

WOSgrad

37 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

I have a question because I’m ignorant on this subject and just an outsider with no dog in the fight. If he didn’t do any worse than the guy before him but he didn’t do much better either, then what made him deserving of the stadium name in the first place? What are the people on his side fighting for?

once again, just curious because I don’t know much about this subject

No problem.  I can answer.  The other guy was much worse than Thomas.  My whole 12 years of school, I believe was under him.  There were textbooks that were 2/ years old when I was a kid.  There were horrible buildings, namely, my old middle school that was literally falling apart. Everything like water and mold in the auditorium, band halls in portable buildings with urine smells everywhere..  and lastly, my old high school was even falling apart then, 20 years ago.  Nothing was done, there were no plans of nothing being done.  That guy disappeared into the sunset and no one talks about him.  

Thomas came in and helped get a lot of stuff done that was been overdue.  These things happened happened in his watch.  Brand new schools, New stadium.  The demolition of the old south park middle school, that prior, had rodent, insect, rust, and mold issues, much to the dismay of old South Park High School alum, whom almost non of them even lives in Beaumont anymore.  

Anyway, I started rambling a bit, I'm sorry.

The need for a stadium was needed with Lamar getting their football program going and Oxen having no home stadium. Also, Durley and Babe Zaharius stadiums were deteriorating fast.  Durley, bleacher and lighting issues and Babe, leveling issues and 'other things'.  

The stadium was built and many was happy about the moves that were made.  It a just that he rubbed the detractors the wrong way, the Same ones that were against change and was very content under that previous Superintendent.  I'm sure he didn't have a negative impact on their kids....

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

No problem.  I can answer.  The other guy was much worse than Thomas.  My whole 12 years of school, I believe was under him.  There were textbooks that were 2/ years old when I was a kid.  There were horrible buildings, namely, my old middle school that was literally falling apart. Everything like water and mold in the auditorium, band halls in portable buildings with urine smells everywhere..  and lastly, my old high school was even falling apart then, 20 years ago.  Nothing was done, there were no plans of nothing being done.  That guy disappeared into the sunset and no one talks about him.  

Thomas came in and helped get a lot of stuff done that was been overdue.  These things happened happened in his watch.  Brand new schools, New stadium.  The demolition of the old south park middle school, that prior, had rodent, insect, rust, and mold issues, much to the dismay of old South Park High School alum, whom almost non of them even lives in Beaumont anymore.  

Anyway, I started rambling a bit, I'm sorry.

The need for a stadium was needed with Lamar getting their football program going and Oxen having no home stadium. Also, Durley and Babe Zaharius stadiums were deteriorating fast.  Durley, bleacher and lighting issues and Babe, leveling issues and 'other things'.  

The stadium was built and many was happy about the moves that were made.  It a just that he rubbed the detractors the wrong way, the Same ones that were against change and was very content under that previous Superintendent.  I'm sure he didn't have a negative impact on their kids....

Ok thank you for your explanation.

I think it is time to move in one direction or another.  It has been 5 years since Butch Thomas retired and several audits have been performed by BISD or its associates in regard to BISD while Thomas was the super.

If BISD Board of Managers have the goods on Thomas, then they need to turn it over to the Jefferson County DA or the US Attorney.  Then, an indictment needs to be obtained after which he can be tried and, if the evidence shows it, convicted.  Once that is done, then I figure that a change of name of the stadium will be no brainer at that time.

However, absent that, BISD, as Dr. Frossard noted, has much bigger fish to fry than whether folks like the name of the football stadium.   It is time to move forward past this time.

Of course, if someone wants to buy the rights to the stadium and rename it, I think BISD should not put up a fight. 

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:02 PM, WOSgrad said:

Of course, if someone wants to buy the rights to the stadium and rename it, I think BISD should not put up a fight. 

That's the way to go. 

Bring in some corporate money, even multiple corporate money, to benefit all the kids in the district financially. 

Example: Welcome to Goodyear/Entergy/Home Depot Stadium. 

IT IS JUST A NAME!!!

It will not effect the kids playing, the parents supporting & the district benefitting.   It is after all BISD, a school stadium. 

The stadium will always be  "The Butch" to most people.  I could care less if the name is changed.  This is what we will all call it!  It's a name that is easy, quick & familiar.

I was not a fan of the superintendent when I was a BISD taxpayer. 

The district and the children were robbed under his watch. He's a big reason why the district is under state control. Removing his name would help distance the district from this terrible episode but it's up to the community to decide.

Beaumont is the Golden Triangle and it's reputation is reflected upon the whole community. A strong BISD would be a boon for the whole area. Honestly, most people in the Golden Triangle want the best for BISD because it'll help the area grow.  

If you look at the fast growing areas in Houston, they have great schools, Katy, Conroe, Cy Fair, Ft Bend. That should be the measuring stick. Being the best in the area is not good enough.

The state appointed board has done a good job of righting the ship. 

I'm hoping for the best because I have family going to school out there.

I saw familiar names running and winning elections for the board. No one that served during that time should ever be trusted with our children's education, but it's a democracy and the people spoke. I hope better people run in the future.

These past few years was watching history repeats itself as an enabling board forced the state to close the old BISD and the South Park district took over the schools in the 80s. I hope this is the last time the area's flagship district gets state intervention. 

Now that United is here, there are no more BISD legacy high school buildings in use. It's all South Park.

Selling the naming rights makes the most sense IMO. I’m sure there are plenty of people in setx that would be willing to pay a pretty penny to get their name on that stadium. I’ve never heard of anyone complaining about having too much money, even if the district isn’t in dire need of it.