Renaming the Butch?

WOSgrad

23 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Beaumont has a lot more issues to worry about then changing the name of the stadium... just keep it the same. 

I COMPLETELY agree.  There are schools in Beaumont that are academically unacceptable.  That should be the focus.  There's enforcing zonings.  There's many pressing issues to be concerned about vs. the name of a damn stadium.  

30 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Sell the naming rights. 

Nobody can argue for turning down money just to keep a controversial name posted. 

You do know our district is NOT in dire financial straits, contrary to popular believe.  Therefore, it's not like anyone is chomping at the bit to collect money.... Matter of fact, the district still has a pretty good surplus of funds...

Basically, I wish the detractors would just stop skating around the elephant in the room and just say what their real issue is.

34 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

You do know our district is NOT in dire financial straits, contrary to popular believe.  Therefore, it's not like anyone is chomping at the bit to collect money.... Matter of fact, the district still has a pretty good surplus of funds...

Basically, I wish the detractors would just stop skating around the elephant in the room and just say what their real issue is.

If you are referring to me, in my opinion Levias or Durley (yes I know West Brook stadium is named after him) is just more deserving of having the stadium named after one of them than Thomas.

Like the article stated, things weren't so good under Thomas reign after all.

Name a school or an admin building after him. Let the sports venues be named after sportsman.

16 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

If you are referring to me, in my opinion Levias or Durley (yes I know West Brook stadium is named after him) is just more deserving of having the stadium named after one of them than Thomas.

Like the article stated, things weren't so good under Thomas reign after all.

Name a school or an admin building after him. Let the sports venues be named after sportsman.

I wasn't actually referring to you.  I was referring to 'City Leaders' that's the main ones pushing for this entire miserable masquerade.  

The current name of the stadium isn't hurting anyone.  It's a football stadium.  A high school stadium at that.  Certain city leaders need to focus on pressing city issues, and trust me, there's a laundry list of them.  And BISD should focus on their pressing issues, laundry list for them too,  it a stadium name should be the last thing, imo.  Actually, after listening to the board meeting yesterday, our superintendent shares my sentiments.

9 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

And, I guess that’s how someone one would justify turning down money. 

There’s two sides to the argument. Naming the stadium after a controversial figure at the time he was still clinging to office by his corrupt (allegedly) fingertips was a gigantic “F” you to opponents by the trustees who were eventually removed by the state.

Here’s one outsider’s opinion. Based on what time has uncovered regarding BISD administration and their failures during that time, defending the name is equally as repugnant as those trying to remove it for no particular reason. Or at least not one they’d admit in public. 

It’s a name.  It’s nothing but symbolic. If the name has some special meaning for you because it’s “ours,” you’re no different than the guys who would take down for racial reasons.  

It might come as a surprise to you, but most people who are opposed to the name would happily replace it with the name of another person of color whose name doesn’t carry the negative connotations that Dr. Thomas’s name does. But then again, why should color be a factor in selecting a person to be honored?

36 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

And, I guess that’s how someone one would justify turning down money. 

There’s two sides to the argument. Naming the stadium after a controversial figure at the time he was still clinging to office by his corrupt (allegedly) fingertips was a gigantic “F” you to opponents by the trustees who were eventually removed by the state.

Here’s one outsider’s opinion. Based on what time has uncovered regarding BISD administration and their failures during that time, defending the name is equally as repugnant as those trying to remove it for no particular reason. Or at least not one they’d admit in public. 

It’s a name.  It’s nothing but symbolic. If the name has some special meaning for you because it’s “ours,” you’re no different than the guys who would take down for racial reasons.  

It might come as a surprise to you, but most people who are opposed to the name would happily replace it with the name of another person of color whose name doesn’t carry the negative connotations that Dr. Thomas’s name does. But then again, why should color be a factor in selecting a person to be honored?

The name is fine.

4 minutes ago, mat said:

Isn't most of the board still appointed positions? If that's the case, they should wait and let that decision be made by an elected board.

That's why certain people are pushing for a change so hard now. They know that board of managers vote will possibly be very different from the elected board's vote. SMDH...

Levias or Durley? Name the stadium one and the field the other. But definitely get the crooks name off the stadium. Keeping it the “Butch” is just a reminder of how bad things were in BISD. Give it a name of someone who truly deserves to be honored, who people respected, and who should be remembered by all.

15 minutes ago, Coach85 said:

Levias or Durley? Name the stadium one and the field the other. But definitely get the crooks name off the stadium. Keeping it the “Butch” is just a reminder of how bad things were in BISD. Give it a name of someone who truly deserves to be honored, who people respected, and who should be remembered by all.

I don't know but when you label someone a 'Crook', out here, you're arrested and put away.  With all the investigations by FBI to name one, when was Thomas arrested?  

The District was so poorly managed that the State has to come in and clean up the mess... and the ISD isn’t out of the woods yet. In fact, there are no indications that the state intends to turn anything over anytime soon.  

But people think they should leave the stadium named after the guy who ran the whole thing into the ground. 

And your right... a LOT of the people in Beaumont would like to see the name stay as it is. But then again, these are the people who elected that bunch of clowns in the first place, and who will undoubtedly elect the same clowns (or their kids, lol) to pick up right where Butch, Calvin, Haynes, and everybody else left off. 

There are WAY too many people that actually DESERVE to have that facility named after them. Sadly, based on his body of work, Dr Thomas isn’t one of them.  Unless you consider being the highest paid Super in the state AND still having your district taken over by the state for corruption a good thing.  

8 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

The District was so poorly managed that the State has to come in and clean up the mess... and the ISD isn’t out of the woods yet. In fact, there are no indications that the state intends to turn anything over anytime soon.  

But people think they should leave the stadium named after the guy who ran the whole thing into the ground. 

And your right... a LOT of the people in Beaumont would like to see the name stay as it is. But then again, these are the people who elected that bunch of clowns in the first place, and who will undoubtedly elect the same clowns (or their kids, lol) to pick up right where Butch, Calvin, Haynes, and everybody else left off. 

There are WAY too many people that actually DESERVE to have that facility named after them. Sadly, based on his body of work, Dr Thomas isn’t one of them.  Unless you consider being the highest paid Super in the state AND still having your district taken over by the state for corruption a good thing.  

You really have little clue.  There's a process going on right now to weed the BOM out and bring in the Voted trustees.  This process will be complete VERY soon.  Quite possibly this year.

You say a guy that ran the district into the ground.  Did Thomas do any worse than the previous Superintendent, prior to him?  I've NEVER seen that subject touched...

The previous board was a 'Bunch of clowns' but there were a few on the previous board that their old supporters are the ones now making a big stink about a stadium change and saying NOTHING about more important matters in the district..

More deserving people?  Want to be recognized?  Set up something for them in downtown Beaumont or somewhere.  They can be recognized there.  

58 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

You really have little clue.  There's a process going on right now to weed the BOM out and bring in the Voted trustees.  This process will be complete VERY soon.  Quite possibly this year.

You say a guy that ran the district into the ground.  Did Thomas do any worse than the previous Superintendent, prior to him?  I've NEVER seen that subject touched...

The previous board was a 'Bunch of clowns' but there were a few on the previous board that their old supporters are the ones now making a big stink about a stadium change and saying NOTHING about more important matters in the district..

More deserving people?  Want to be recognized?  Set up something for them in downtown Beaumont or somewhere.  They can be recognized there.  

I’ll concede that the previous supers probably weren’t that great.... but can you tell me which facilities are named after them?

58 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I have a question because I’m ignorant on this subject and just an outsider with no dog in the fight. If he didn’t do any worse than the guy before him but he didn’t do much better either, then what made him deserving of the stadium name in the first place? What are the people on his side fighting for?

once again, just curious because I don’t know much about this subject

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

Seriously! Beaumont ISD was never taken over on Thomas' watch. And if you have no idea on the state of BISD before Thomas then you should shut the hell up! Fact is the man is high respected and recognized everywhere but southeast Texas, go figure. So now you want the ability to tell people who they can vote for. SMDH... Can we check your voting record cause we know damn well you voted for some crooks. And if you're a Bridge City Cardinal backer then why do you care so much about what the name of BISD's football stadium is?

11 minutes ago, Yeoj said:

Seriously! Beaumont ISD was never taken over on Thomas' watch. And if you have no idea on the state of BISD before Thomas then you should shut the hell up! Fact is the man is high respected and recognized everywhere but southeast Texas, go figure. So now you want the ability to tell people who they can vote for. SMDH... Can we check your voting record cause we know damn well you voted for some crooks. And if you're a Bridge City Cardinal backer then why do you care so much about what the name of BISD's football stadium is?

Lol... The problems were occurring under his watch. He just got out before it all got exposed. Just like what happened at his previous school. 

You don’t have to be from Beaumont to recognize it for what it is. 

Can you point out another school anywhere that built a facility and named it after their acting super? It’s a joke. A really bad one. And you guys don’t even realize that the rest of us are laughing at you. 

13 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Lol... The problems were occurring under his watch. He just got out before it all got exposed. Just like what happened at his previous school. 

You don’t have to be from Beaumont to recognize it for what it is. 

Can you point out another school anywhere that built a facility and named it after their acting super? It’s a joke. A really bad one. And you guys don’t even realize that the rest of us are laughing at you. 

No its us that are laughing at you. We aren't the ones worried about anything Bridge City but you guys sure care a lot about Beaumont. But, if that's what you need to tell yourself. lol... Wouldn't your time be better spent on getting clean water to that city. lol...

Guest ECBucFan
45 minutes ago, Yeoj said:

...... And if you're a Bridge City Cardinal backer then why do you care so much about what the name of BISD's football stadium is?

Everyone in SE TX has a vested interst in the reputation of BISD. If more people had even a passing knowledge of how industry investment decisions work, they would know that BISD's stained reputation hurts this entire areas reputation. If "Beaumont" has bad schools, it factors in global perception of "Beaumont", AKA SeTX.

Try to understand that "Beaumont" is proxy for "Southeast Texas", period. Besides that, transparency is open to everyone. Why? ISD's are PUBLIC entities, and they recieve STATE funds. People in Lubbock and ElPaso have a right to know, just the same as BISD people and Bridge City people, too.   ,