what's up with kids winning rings for summer sports?

jv_coach

Mommies and daddies want them to have everything a big leaguer would regardless if they have earned it or not. Rings used to be something that the “best” were rewarded with. Now, pay enough money to be on said select team and win a game or a tournament and get a ring. Trophies for everyone and purple, to finish is to win, ribbons are worthless. To finish is not the same as winning. Finishing means you didn’t quit. Be proud, but never confuse that with winning!!!

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2018 at 5:45 PM, Ty Cobb said:

Mommies and daddies want them to have everything a big leaguer would regardless if they have earned it or not. Rings used to be something that the “best” were rewarded with. Now, pay enough money to be on said select team and win a game or a tournament and get a ring. Trophies for everyone and purple, to finish is to win, ribbons are worthless. To finish is not the same as winning. Finishing means you didn’t quit. Be proud, but never confuse that with winning!!!

At my age, if I ran the Boston Marathon and finished dead last, I should be rewarded $1,000,000. Lol.