Nederland ISD growing

Bigdog

I didn't want to get the PA stadium thread too far off topic, but Nederland facilities came up so I figured I would start a new thread.   NISD commissioned a demographic study that shows that there will be 6,145 kids (district-wide) by 2023/24 and 6,565 by 2027/28.  Hopefully this will spur a bond issue to build some new schools.  If you want to read the whole study follow the link:

This is the hidden content, please

1 hour ago, prepballfan said:

Great point but in my time Nederland has never approved a bong issue... Why is that?

Because 2 major reasons. 1 being the city population was older but now has the city turned it’s getting younger and mainly people went to these schools in the 90s and saw how bad they were then and now there kids are going to these schools.  The other reason was previous bonds people were making things up saying it was a “athletic bond” lots of false information was getting tossed around. Former board members were calling people’s house asking them to vote no. It was a mess and poor advertisement and everything about it was a mess. But now with the new school board regime in changes are going to be made. You will see things change for the better hopefully in the incoming years. I believe all the new board members all were pro bond and that’s a start. 

15 hours ago, prepballfan said:

Great point but in my time Nederland has never approved a bong issue... Why is that?

They approved a bond in 2012 that upgraded HVAC, added security and some other things for all the schools.  The proposition to build a new middle school and an elementary did fail.

53 minutes ago, bigdog said:

They approved a bond in 2012 that upgraded HVAC, added security and some other things for all the schools.  The proposition to build a new middle school and an elementary did fail.

What school building in that district was most recently built? 

2 hours ago, Brubaker said:

NISD tax rate is the lowest in SE Texas, and has been for a long time.  

WOW!! I was wrong... Just spent some time looking it up.  My wife and I's property taxes went up a LOT this year.  Guess it has to do with the county tax assessment of my property.  

Well, some like yourself say you don't want taxes increased a little bit to pass a bond.  Well, it don't really matter because the board, consists of mainly of old heads won't vote to pass one.  But, good things are coming to Nederland.  Those old heads are slowly dispersing and the younger guys will make some great moves.  I can't wait to see...

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Well, some like yourself say you don't want taxes increased a little bit to pass a bond.  Well, it don't really matter because the board, consists of mainly of old heads won't vote to pass one.  But, good things are coming to Nederland.  Those old heads are slowly dispersing and the younger guys will make some great moves.  I can't wait to see...

The 3 new board members all pro bond with a very respected person getting voted in that carries a huge amount of weight to get people to vote. I believe the majority of the members now are for a bond. After talking to a lot of friends and people in the community majority of them are for new schools and stadium! 

5 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

The 3 new board members all pro bond with a very respected person getting voted in that carries a huge amount of weight to get people to vote. I believe the majority of the members now are for a bond. After talking to a lot of friends and people in the community majority of them are for new schools and stadium! 

Been overdue....

11 hours ago, Brubaker said:

If Nederland suffers from low industry tax base, to maintain a functioning district, wouldn't the tax rates be among the highest, instead of the very lowest???  Please explain.  

The school taxes we pay are made up of two types. The M&O (maintenance and operations) tax rate is what it takes to run the district. The I&S (interest & sinking) tax rate is what pays for bonds or other loan types. Each district's rates are formulated and capped differently. Anyhow, that's how I understanding it but It may not totally explain it. It can get complicated.

On 7/23/2018 at 7:01 AM, Brubaker said:

However it's formulated and calculated, it adds up to a number, and NISD's is the lowest in the area.  Industry, no industry, bonds, whatever, it's the lowest and has been for a long time.  Folks in Nederland have been getting a really good deal.

The City of Nederland's as well.   As far as mat's statement about lack of industry, Nederland does tax Sunoco and some of the tank farms near it, but no, they don't have near the industrial tax base of BMT or PA.   The low taxes are a testament to good management  by the city and NISD to provide services without raising taxes.   That said, I am not against a small raise in taxes to build new schools and infrastructure.  We must keep investing in our children and our city to move forward.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:46 AM, dme1111 said:

WOW!! I was wrong... Just spent some time looking it up.  My wife and I's property taxes went up a LOT this year.  Guess it has to do with the county tax assessment of my property.  

It does, and if you were to have a piece of property with the same appraised value in BMT and PA  your taxes would be much higher than they are in Nederland.

20 hours ago, REBgp said:

No doubt in my mind, the Supt of Barbers Hill will not approve of Nederland’s football field. :) 

I think the only opinions that matter are the NISD taxpayers... Obviously for whatever reason the majority didn't see the need, at that time, to pass the bond...If the three new board members can promote the need/sell it and get it passed then great but in the end you accept the will of the (majority) of the taxpayers.. whether you agree with it or not.. Doesn't matter what PNG, United, Vidor or any other fans think..It's always easy to spend others money...

11 minutes ago, bigdog said:

The City of Nederland's as well.   As far as mat's statement about lack of industry, Nederland does tax Sunoco and some of the tank farms near it, but no, they don't have near the industrial tax base of BMT or PA.   The low taxes are a testament to good management  by the city and NISD to provide services without raising taxes.   That said, I am not against a small raise in taxes to build new schools and infrastructure.  We must keep investing in our children and our city to move forward.

This....

FYI  , Taxes for the local area.   All available on Jcad.org.

Taxes per $100 of property valuation:

NEDERLAND INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 1.150000 
CITY OF NEDERLAND 0.609578

BEAUMONT INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 1.294050 
CITY OF BEAUMONT 0.710000

PORT NECHES / GROVES INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DIST 1.444410 
CITY OF PORT NECHES 0.725000

PORT ARTHUR INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 1.480987
CITY OF PORT ARTHUR 0.792000

HARDIN-JEFFERSON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 1.340000