BANNING HOME-SCHOOL STUDENTS IN STJFL

4 minutes ago, Dannie Lee Oliveaux said:

The  Southeast Texas Junior Football League board of directors voted last month to ban boys and girls who are home-schooled from playing football or cheer in the Lumberton, or any other city where they have teams.

They already aren't around kids getting socialized, now they can't play either! Sure, I guess!

2 hours ago, Dannie Lee Oliveaux said:

The  Southeast Texas Junior Football League board of directors voted last month to ban boys and girls who are home-schooled from playing football or cheer in the Lumberton, or any other city where they have teams.

So is this Lumberton’s decision or the leagues? Because every time y’all post this (assuming you’re with the Silsbee bee), y’all make a point to name Lumberton. So is it us doing this or somebody separate?

The STJFL is tasked with trying to prevent “stacking” teams. I’m going to make a guess that this has to do with some talented kid(s) being homeschooled in one area but wanting to play for a team in another. 

IE, Junior lives with mom in BC and is homeschooled. Dad wants to coach with his buds and have JR play for Orangefield. The argument is made that since JR is homeschooled, he should be able to play anywhere he chooses, hence the new rule. 

When we played STJFL, Lumberton had three different teams for a specific age group. Towns like OF end up with one. Everybody gets to play... if too many kids turn out, they just add teams. 

I fondly remember the year that Port Arthur decided to effectively field a select team. They had tryouts and everything... if you didn’t get picked, you didn’t get to play. 

And they still got their tails busted and and kicked out of the league for the next year. Lol. 

6 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

The STJFL is tasked with trying to prevent “stacking” teams. I’m going to make a guess that this has to do with some talented kid(s) being homeschooled in one area but wanting to play for a team in another. 

IE, Junior lives with mom in BC and is homeschooled. Dad wants to coach with his buds and have JR play for Orangefield. The argument is made that since JR is homeschooled, he should be able to play anywhere he chooses, hence the new rule. 

When we played STJFL, Lumberton had three different teams for a specific age group. Towns like OF end up with one. Everybody gets to play... if too many kids turn out, they just add teams. 

I fondly remember the year that Port Arthur decided to effectively field a select team. They had tryouts and everything... if you didn’t get picked, you didn’t get to play. 

And they still got their tails busted and and kicked out of the league for the next year. Lol. 

And with that logic and evidence, some people will still argue on behalf of the home schoolers........

8 minutes ago, Austin1985 said:

And with that logic and evidence, some people will still argue on behalf of the home schoolers........

Oh, I think home schoolers should be able to play where they live. It’s a tough system to regulate. No matter how hard you try, the teams still seem to end up stacked. 

If I had to guess, this all about a particularly talented home-schooler wanting to play for a team in Lumberton... despite being a non-resident, and the other Lumberton coaches are flipping out. 

Anybody that knows can feel free to enlighten us. I’m just guessing. 

On 7/13/2018 at 3:20 PM, L-Train11 said:

So is this Lumberton’s decision or the leagues? Because every time y’all post this (assuming you’re with the Silsbee bee), y’all make a point to name Lumberton. So is it us doing this or somebody separate?

I think this was more a case of the Lumberton league just happened to have the first case of running in to this.

15 hours ago, Austin1985 said:

With that logic and evidence, he gave 1 example out of a league of over 3,000 players and cheerleaders according to the KFDM story.   

In his example he mentions split parents.  Custody papers show who the custodial parent is, so it’s not like it would be that hard to prove where the kid lives. 

I couldn’t imagine that it’s that big of an issue with less that 1% of the league affected, that they need to make up rules that would keep kids from participating.  If the kid lives in the area, let them play.  It’s really not that difficult. 

STJFL is a joke. It mainly caters to the smaller schools anyways. The bigger schools need to break away and strictly do TYFA. I’m glad we as a family broke away and left the Nederland organization to do TYFA it really has shown for my son on the football field. Plus who wants to play YMCA rules with weight limit. 

Guess because I’m old, but this rule sounds ridiculous.  Will Home School kids not be able to play Little League Baseball?  Good grief, you’d think because the kids are home schooled, they had leprosy.  And some kid might play in Vidor but lives in Mauriceville?  Why, the audacity.  Oh wait, didn’t a couple of HS kids at Ltown play for PNG.  Dam home schooled kids caused that too.  Smdh.