2017 Carthage v 2016 WOS

STiger85

It's the dog days of summer and a little over a month away until high school football practice starts. So, I decided to start this "what if" conversation about two of the best high school football teams I have seen in recent memory playing each other.  The 2017 4A DI undefeated state champs Carthage Bulldogs v. the 2016 4A DII undefeated state champs WOS Mustangs. Each team had the athletes and speed to score from all over the field and defenses that you couldn't go wide on, plugged up the middle and got to the QB if you tried to pass the ball. To me this would be a epic high school football game that would be well worth the price of admission. I think this game would be a little more high scoring in that both offenses puts a ton of pressure on the defenses to stop the run or stop the pass. In the end I think Carthage would come out on top, the Bulldog defense would be able to handle the Mustang run game. Also, with as much speed that WOS had on defense Carthage would ware down the front defense line of WOS and take control late in the game. I see Carthage winning by two touchdowns plus, something like 45-30 Carthage. It's a game that would be fun and entertaining to watch and to see the coaching from the side lines would be epic.   

1 hour ago, STiger85 said:

It's the dog days of summer and a little over a month away until high school football practice starts. So, I decided to start this "what if" conversation about two of the best high school football teams I have seen in recent memory playing each other.  The 2017 4A DI undefeated state champs Carthage Bulldogs v. the 2016 4A DII undefeated state champs WOS Mustangs. Each team had the athletes and speed to score from all over the field and defenses that you couldn't go wide on, plugged up the middle and got to the QB if you tried to pass the ball. To me this would be a epic high school football game that would be well worth the price of admission. I think this game would be a little more high scoring in that both offenses puts a ton of pressure on the defenses to stop the run or stop the pass. In the end I think Carthage would come out on top, the Bulldog defense would be able to handle the Mustang run game. Also, with as much speed that WOS had on defense Carthage would ware down the front defense line of WOS and take control late in the game. I see Carthage winning by two touchdowns plus, something like 45-30 Carthage. It's a game that would be fun and entertaining to watch and to see the coaching from the side lines would be epic.   

WOS wins because of the defense!

I've seen them BOTH...  WO-S did have a better defense, but not by at lot vs. 2017 Carthage.  And ROSCHONSBIGBRO, I think it's the complete opposite.  Carthage had the constant offense, either throwing or running the ball, whereas, WO-S offense is prone to struggle sometimes.... Carthage 'O' was a well oiled machine....

9 hours ago, STiger85 said:

One point here i would have to go against is the wearing down of wos defensive line.  I know Carthage had some big guys but through the years i have had the same thoughts when we have had a big size advantage on the line and at times in the playoffs.  But it never happens.  I think those guys have energizers in their pads!!

4 hours ago, ST413 said:

One point here i would have to go against is the wearing down of wos defensive line.  I know Carthage had some big guys but through the years i have had the same thoughts when we have had a big size advantage on the line and at times in the playoffs.  But it never happens.  I think those guys have energizers in their pads!!

I understand what your saying, like you seen it first hand. WOS defense would not be able to get off the field in the second half. Carthage would score no matter if it took five plays or fifteen plays. 

3 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

You are all just dreaming. No way one can win this argument. WO-S fans will say the mustangs win, Carthage fans say the bulldogs wins. There is more Carthage fans then WO-S fans, so the bulldogs win.

Also, Silsbee fans will say wos will lose lol so that’s not working in their favor either.

3 hours ago, STiger85 said:

Why would you say that? It ain’t like we beat one and not the other. We have the same amount of wins against both teams in the last 20 years. 

I said that mainly based upon what’s already been said on this thread... 4 Silsbee peeps have already said that Carthage would win. Maybe it’s because of the rivalry that Silsbee and wos seem to have? It may be a lopsided one, but it’s always a game that is highly anticipated each year.

But, on the original topic that you posted- which is a great discussion btw even though it’s hypothetical; I think 2017 Carthage was a way more complete team. In all three facets of the game. But 2016 wos in my opinion had a better defense. Holding Calvin Tyler and the tigers to zero points that year was a pretty big accomplishment, along with the other shutouts including a pretty good Nederland team along with a bridge city team that was pretty stout that year as well. I don’t think it would be as high scoring as y’all seem to think. I’d have to give a small edge to WOS just because of that defense. Last years Carthage team was a thing of beauty to watch though!

6 hours ago, L-Train11 said:

I said that mainly based upon what’s already been said on this thread... 4 Silsbee peeps have already said that Carthage would win. Maybe it’s because of the rivalry that Silsbee and wos seem to have? It may be a lopsided one, but it’s always a game that is highly anticipated each year.

But, on the original topic that you posted- which is a great discussion btw even though it’s hypothetical; I think 2017 Carthage was a way more complete team. In all three facets of the game. But 2016 wos in my opinion had a better defense. Holding Calvin Tyler and the tigers to zero points that year was a pretty big accomplishment, along with the other shutouts including a pretty good Nederland team along with a bridge city team that was pretty stout that year as well. I don’t think it would be as high scoring as y’all seem to think. I’d have to give a small edge to WOS just because of that defense. Last years Carthage team was a thing of beauty to watch though!

If you are counting me in your 4 Silsbee fans you better subtract one, i havent picked nor will i pick a winner.

No way to tell... both teams were really special. 

I think Carthage would probably be the winner based on the tests that they face through the non-district, distict, and playoffs. Better facilities that could give an edge in game prep and treatment, their consistent play on turf, and just having more talented kids suited up. 

It would still be hard to count the Legend of Jack Dallas out, though.

I’d be pulling for WOS, btw. 

3 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

How about a tie game.....no one wins, no one loses. The bottom line is that games are played on the field, not on an internet site on who thinks which team will win.

None of you know who would win, 'no not one.'

It’s just a topic of conversation in a rather slow time for this forum.

Carthage, without a doubt. I can't believe this is even a discussion. WO-S had a great team in 2016, but they never once faced a team with the caliber of offense OR defense that Carthage had in 2017. Not only that, but despite the fact that WO-S has a great Coach in Cornell Thompson, I still give a coaching edge to Carthage, but a decent margin even. Surratt has more state championship wins than playoff losses, think about it. That 2017 Carthage team was a monstrous team, loaded with ridiculous talent. You talk about the WO-S defense, look at the Carthage defense. They gave up points, but man did they have a solid group. That was arguably the best LB core I've seen in 4A. Let's not even get started on that offense, with Ingram in the backfield.

Truly stellar groups on both teams, but I definitely give Carthage the 3 score nod, and don't feel any remorse doing it. They were just that good. Even WO-S didn't dominate their state championship opponent to the extent that Carthage did theirs. It was pitiful what Carthage did to Kennedale last year, and after Kennedale posted videos on Facebook talking so much smack about Carthage. Hopefully they learned when they took that thumping from a real football team.

9 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Carthage, without a doubt. I can't believe this is even a discussion. WO-S had a great team in 2016, but they never once faced a team with the caliber of offense OR defense that Carthage had in 2017. Not only that, but despite the fact that WO-S has a great Coach in Cornell Thompson, I still give a coaching edge to Carthage, but a decent margin even. Surratt has more state championship wins than playoff losses, think about it. That 2017 Carthage team was a monstrous team, loaded with ridiculous talent. You talk about the WO-S defense, look at the Carthage defense. They gave up points, but man did they have a solid group. That was arguably the best LB core I've seen in 4A. Let's not even get started on that offense, with Ingram in the backfield.

Truly stellar groups on both teams, but I definitely give Carthage the 3 score nod, and don't feel any remorse doing it. They were just that good. Even WO-S didn't dominate their state championship opponent to the extent that Carthage did theirs. It was pitiful what Carthage did to Kennedale last year, and after Kennedale posted videos on Facebook talking so much smack about Carthage. Hopefully they learned when they took that thumping from a real football team.

All good points, except wos did hold sweetwaters offense to 0 points in their state championship game. Pretty impressive!!

It's interesting how zero WO-S fans have joined this discussion. It's a yawner.

To the few Silsbee folks and the one "East Texas is superior" contributor who want to pat themselves on the back for finding a phantom "one-ups-manship" over WO-S...carry on. It's mildly entertaining. 

Symptoms of summertime boredom.