3AD1 Discussion -

H3llR4z0r

What SETX 3AD1 teams should be watched that aren't on the DCTF Pre-season top 10? I'll be honest, I didn't pay much attention to 3A before we dropped so, other than the teams close to my area, I'm only familiar with whomever I've seen in the playoffs recently. Here's the DCTF top 10.

Who do y'all think will take it all the way?

35734882_10157426338930410_3692207526935

Guest ECBucFan

I have no idea who will win it all, but I do know EC is easily the team to beat in SETX. I cannot see EC even being challenged until the 3rd round, if that. 

2 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

I have no idea who will win it all, but I do know EC is easily the team to beat in SETX. I cannot see EC even being challenged until the 3rd round, if that. 

It should be interesting. Woodville, I hear, is supposed to be stout this season, so how them and EC pans out really determines where their challenges will come. I think Franklin wins D11, and that puts the potential matchup of W11/W12 in round 3. All depends though. I don't think W11 is a gimme with Diboll dropping down. It will be tough.  

14 hours ago, longball24 said:

No need to worry about Woodville, They graduated everyone from last Year’s team.  All underclassmen very young. Franklin is a different story. They should be the favorite to win it all.

Yea, I keep hearing from a lot of Franklin guys that this could be their best team ever. 

17 hours ago, longball24 said:

No need to worry about Woodville, They graduated everyone from last Year’s team.  All underclassmen very young. Franklin is a different story. They should be the favorite to win it all.

I think it all depends on how the top three fall in that district.  Orangefield, East Chambers, and Woodville will be tough to beat.  A team like Buna can sneak up and beat someone they aren't supposed to as well.  A bad week in district could cause your playoff run to end earlier.  If what you say is correct about Woodville, I think EC will have the more well rounded team to win.  It will be interesting to see how it pans out.  I hope it is like a few years ago when it was competitive to the end with Buna, Kirbyville, and EC.

21 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

I would like to think so, but beating Woodville in Woodville will be a challenge for first district game of the year. 

Woodville returns 7 starters on offense, including their entire backfield. They also return 4 starting linemen. RB/FS Zack Martin is better than any player EC can field by a large margin, sporting his unanimous MVP selection from last year. The defense returns 6 starters, including reigning Defensive MVP, MLB/FB Marcos Broom. 

This is a team that was beating defending state champion Rockdale after 3 quarters in the 2nd round. Unless somethinghas drastically changed that I'm unaware of, they will be a tough cookie for EC to chew... and then some. EC has a great program and will no doubt be a tough game for the Eagles, as they always are, but Woodville is easily the favorite in this district after back-to-back district titles. 

1 hour ago, longball24 said:

Yes Woodville returns a few starters but trying to replace 8 starters including the fastest in district C J Wooten including most of the defensive line and half the linebackers and secondary with freshman and sophomores will be a challenge 

Martin ran a 4.41 40 at TCU. I don't think CJ was anywhere near the threat that Zack is. A big loss, of course. But we return 1 DE, 2 OLB, 1 MLB, 1 CB, and 1 FS. All 6 of which recieved district honors. That's not too shabby lol and the players replacing them have alot of talent as well. We even return our kicker lol 

I wish I could have made it to the scrimmage last year when we scrimmaged Woodville, especially now. Which, we had no idea we'd be moving down at that point. Plus, it was on a Thursday in Carthage, at like 2 p.m., so making that was going to be a challenge. 

Story will be the same for Woodville unless they find a way to pass the ball. EC will be good. But let’s not get carried away with the whole won’t be challenged until the third round idea . Brock is the heavy favorite to win it all. And EC may be the team to beat in 3A D1, but Newton is by far the best 3A team in SETX

14 hours ago, longball24 said:

I was at that scrimmage last year, both teams looked rough with the exception of your Quarterback, he was impressive. Wish he was on our side. If I remember right he will be back this year. If so y’all will most definitely be in the hunt with Franklin.

He's back. He's a baller for sure. The real guy to watch though was our RB, but not sure how he did against Woodville in the scrimmage, or if he even played. 

If you thought the QB looked good then, you'd have sure enjoyed him late season. He really turned it on midway through the year and turned what looked like a rough year for Atlanta, into a team that fought and scratched their way into the playoffs. We were a one and done, but if you had seen us early in the season, you'd have been sure impressed with what we accomplished late. 

Guest ECBucFan
15 hours ago, JasperDAWG said:

The purple beast 16 miles to the east of us is the best 3A team in the entire state. That includes  DI and DII.

Until proven differently, that statement is 100% correct. 

With that in mind, this would have been an excellent year for Newton to play EC. Just sayin'. 

Guest ECBucFan
On 7/1/2018 at 10:25 AM, eagleswoodville#1 said:

. RB/FS Zack Martin is better than any player EC can field by a large margin,

Woodville is easily the favorite in this district after back-to-back district titles. 

"Large margin"?

"easily the favorite"?

Sorry, not this year, LOL. This will likely be the best team EC has put on the feild in the past 10 years. 

55 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

"Large margin"?

"easily the favorite"?

Sorry, not this year, LOL. This will likely be the best team EC has put on the feild in the past 10 years. 

I still stand by my first statement bout Martin being the best player on either team. At the same time, it is but merely an opinion. When I say Woodville is easily  the favorite to win this district, it's not a knock on EC, who will undeniably compete for the title this year. Don't misunderstand me. The Bucs will be better than any district opponent we faced last year and give us a reason to worry. This is also probably the best team Woodville has fielded in the last 10 years lol looking forward to a great game!

48 minutes ago, eagleswoodville#1 said:

I still stand by my first statement bout Martin being the best player on either team. At the same time, it is but merely an opinion. When I say Woodville is easily  the favorite to win this district, it's not a knock on EC, who will undeniably compete for the title this year. Don't misunderstand me. The Bucs will be better than any district opponent we faced last year and give us a reason to worry. This is also probably the best team Woodville has fielded in the last 10 years lol looking forward to a great game!

I've watched some film on that kid. He's pretty impressive. I'm just wondering how playing both ways will effect him, especially late/post-season. Spring Hill had one of the best backs I have seen, not the fastest, but an absolute monster on both sides of the ball (Kiante Stoker). All we heard was how good he was, and he lived up to it. They talked about how he never got tired though, and that's where they were wrong. In a game that Atlanta was down 21-0 at the end of the first in, Stoker finally got tired, close to the end of the 3rd quarter. It went from taking 2-4 guys to tackle him, to him getting shaken off tackles, and being tackled by one man. Atlanta ended up pulling out the comeback, to win 56-49, and securing themselves a playoff spot. It's still crazy see the impact of such an athlete on the team. Spring Hill had one of, if not the best offense I saw last year. But when he got tired, it took the wind out of the offense it seemed. 

Here's some highlights. Check out this dude's legs. He was a hawse, for sure. 

This is the hidden content, please

23 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

"Large margin"?

"easily the favorite"?

They have a long way to prove best in 10 years. They will be improved over last year but will still have to prove themselves. I hope they do prove it but until then it's just a theory. Until then God Bless those BUCS!!!!!