Laurence Williams named new head coach at Kelly

On 6/24/2018 at 8:24 PM, JayBilas said:

So they go from Knowles to HIM? Why did they let go of Knowles in the first place?  This move wasn't even a LATERAL one in my opinion. Had to be some sort of personality conflict.

Coach Knowles was able to bring in kids from Port Arthur because he either coached or taught their parents. He lives in PA too. So thats gonna be hard to replace. The price tag to go to Kelly is pretty high so it takes someone who those parents can really trust. Hopefully Coach Williams can develop a good outreach program. 

On 6/25/2018 at 0:58 PM, winwin said:

Coach Knowles was able to bring in kids from Port Arthur because he either coached or taught their parents. He lives in PA too. So thats gonna be hard to replace. The price tag to go to Kelly is pretty high so it takes someone who those parents can really trust. Hopefully Coach Williams can develop a good outreach program. 

I expect Coach Williams will do well there.  His teams play exciting basketball.  I Hope he and Coach Harrington have successful seasons.

5 hours ago, REBgp said:

I expect Coach Williams will do well there.  His teams play exciting basketball.  I Hope he and Coach Harrington have successful seasons.

Gonna take more than playing exciting basketball. He has to bring players in. Remember, the TAPPS 6A champ last year was Concordia Lutheran. They are one of the teams in Kellys district. And last year Concordia handled Silsbee fairly easily. Kellys district is BRUTAL. But I will be pulling for Coach Williams and  the Dawgs.

16 hours ago, winwin said:

Gonna take more than playing exciting basketball. He has to bring players in. Remember, the TAPPS 6A champ last year was Concordia Lutheran. They are one of the teams in Kellys district. And last year Concordia handled Silsbee fairly easily. Kellys district is BRUTAL. But I will be pulling for Coach Williams and  the Dawgs.

Concordia is going to be one of the best teams in the state regardless of classification again.  

16 hours ago, winwin said:

Silsbee 79 Tomball Concordia Lutheran 87

So a 8 point win over a Silsbee team that was missing several players including two starters is being handled "fairly easily"?

Concordia was the better team, but they were in a battle.

17 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Silsbee 79 Tomball Concordia Lutheran 87

So a 8 point win over a Silsbee team that was missing several players including two starters is being handled "fairly easily"?

Concordia was the better team, but they were in a battle.

23 hours ago, REBgp said:

Concordia was up over 20 late in the 3rd or early in the 4th if I remember correctly. But thats not really the point of my post. My point is that you cant compete at Kelly with just the kids coming in from St Annes, All Saints and St Anthonys. District is too tough. 

26 minutes ago, REBgp said:

When you said they beat Silsbee, that told me all I needed to know.  Coach Mike K wouldn’t help against Concordia.  Just hope Coach L doesn’t take any of our Hobbits to Kelly. :) 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

LOL

50 minutes ago, winwin said:

Concordia was up over 20 late in the 3rd or early in the 4th if I remember correctly. But thats not really the point of my post. My point is that you cant compete at Kelly with just the kids coming in from St Annes, All Saints and St Anthonys. District is too tough. 

You're quote:

Concordia is in our district. Played them close both games last year but will really struggle this year after losing all 5 of our starters. Hellums is and will be the best shooter on the floor all year in any game. Silsbee should come away from this one feeling good. Thats a great showing against a very good, well coached, disciplined team.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPSbPhUW0AAu7r8.jpg

Largest lead by Concordia was 15, at end of 3rd. Silsbee cut it to 3 with 1 minute left in game, 81-78.

Congrats Coach Williams on the new gig.

18 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

You're quote:

Concordia is in our district. Played them close both games last year but will really struggle this year after losing all 5 of our starters. Hellums is and will be the best shooter on the floor all year in any game. Silsbee should come away from this one feeling good. Thats a great showing against a very good, well coached, disciplined team.

This is the hidden content, please

Largest lead by Concordia was 15, at end of 3rd. Silsbee cut it to 3 with 1 minute left in game, 81-78.

Lets try this...Concordia was better than Silsbee last year so Kelly has to bring in some kids. The fact that the game wasnt a very close game IMO means it was fairly easy for Concordia

17 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

You're quote:

And for the record, it's "your" quote...not "you're" :)

I would think with the combining of the two districts in Beaumont there would be some pretty good ballplayers moving around in Beaumont as well as Port Arthur. Coach Williams does a good job wherever he goes so I don't think Kelly will be any different.

I was surprised the Evadale job didn't post.Evadale consistently has one of the areas top small school clubs.Best of luck to both coaches in their new positions. 

4 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

You're quote:

You are correct about Hellums.   We have enjoyed having him this summer.  Saw a stat this week combining all the kids from the major sneaker circuits.  He’s leading the country in 3 pt % and is the third most efficient scorer in the country.   But what I love most about him is he’s tough as nails.  For a scrappy “little” (comparatively against his competition) 6-2 guard, he comes up with more loose balls and rebounds than he should.  Some mid major is going to get a steal with this kid. 

And by the way, he had a 30 pt outing in Dallas being guarded the majority of the game by the most legit 5 Star I’ve seen all year - Anthony Edwards out of Georgia (2020 kid).   Edwards, barring injury, will play one year of college ball and be a top 10 (at least) pick in the draft.