The Dark Side of 7-7

WOSgrad

14 minutes ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

1 Timothy 6:10

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Sad part is not all the coaches do it for the money.. I know I'm not.

56 minutes ago, GCMNation5 said:

So why is select baseball ok?

Based on personal experiences, and I could be wrong, the elite "select" baseball coaches are not being paid to "guide" players to schools.

The biggest difference is the MLB Draft. Since an elite high school kid can be drafted right out of high school, there is very little interference by the select coach. The good select programs (Banditos, Sun Devils, etc..) do provide exposure and give guidance in the recruiting and draft process.

Most high school baseball players, not drafted in the first 8 rounds, are going to at least go the JUCO route to either improve draft status or to play at a D1 school in 2 years. You just don't see coaches getting paid to influence that decision based on a lot of probabilities.

Scouts do a ton of research and know who is and who is not college material. They have a pretty good idea of whether they can sign you or not if they draft you. They also know if you can qualify to get into school or not. In other words, in baseball, going to school is a bargaining chip- it'll cost you this much for me NOT to go to school (assuming you can get into school).

Football players have to go to college for three years and basketball players usually have to go for one. To me, that's where this situation gets messy.

3 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Probably worse than baseball.

My daughter plays for a select softball team in the Houston area. She is the catcher and has been for several seasons. The coach has told the players and parents that their are tournaments as you get older where colleges coaches come to watch and entice players to sign. YES softball is worse but my daughter loves it and likes playing the position. Very, very intense when you get in the high school age to get a good scholarship from a college.

On the softball side if a girl is playing for a name organization with lots of good players (as in most of the team is D1 caliber) the head coach of the organization will many times be the main recruiting contact for college coaches and programs.

Many select coaches are on first name basis with many of the top D1 coaches in the country.  The games are highly competitive and the big tournaments held in states like California, Colorado, Illinois, Florida, Alabama, Texas ect are heavily attended by many D1 head coaches.

Of course outside of a college education and possibly playing some after college there isn't much money to be made in softball so that's why there isn't the potential money issue like there is with sports like football and basketball. However a good program with a good head coach will usually be heavily involved with recruiting for each player on their team. That's usually why the kids are there in the first place.