WOSgrad

2018 NEDERLAND BULLDOGS

11 posts in this topic

logo.png

2018 FOOTBALL TEAM PREVIEWS

NEDERLAND BULLDOGS

2017 Record: 8-3 Overall, 6-2 District

3rd Place in District 22-5A

2017 was a year of change for the Nederland Bulldogs as a new leader, Head Coach Monte Barrow, was guiding things on the sidelines.  However, as things changed the more they stayed the same as the Bulldogs, after a one year absence, found themselves in a familiar position.....back in the 5A playoffs.  2018 will bring even more change for the Bulldogs as many of the old foes that used to dot Nederland's district are gone and folks a little more to the west make up the new district 12-5A-II.  But 10 starters returning look to provide the same old result out of the new district.

Head Coach: Monte Barrow

Assistant Coaches: Chris Theriot (Defensive Coordinator), Bryan Spell (Receivers), Jay Stone (Safeties), David Crommett (Offensive Line), Jae Stoker (Offensive Line), Jody Walker (Defensive Line), Michael Todd (Secondary), Tony Tolbert (Linebackers), Michael Broussard (Running Backs)

Offense

6 starters return to the Bulldog multiple set offense in 2018.  Returning to lead the offense will be senior quarterback Blaysin Fernandez ( 2nd team all-district, 83-149, 1315 yd, 18 TD in 2017).  Senior fullback Armani Douglass and sophomore running back Cade Scott will join him in the backfield.  Senior wideout Blayne Burnett will lead the Nederland receiver corp which will also feature senior Carsen Arline.  Senior guard Kevin Miranda (1st team all-district) will return to lead an experienced offensive line which will also feature senior Kevin Ramirez and juniors Jonathan Nguyen and Jadon Windon and will also include senior Aaron Saenz.

Defense

The Nederland defense will have some maturing early in the season as only 4 starters return to the Bulldog 3-4 defense in 2018.  The Bulldogs will be particularly inexperienced on the front line as seniors Dasean Somersall, Slate Bodin and Hunter Sonnier settle in the the starting positions across the front.  The Bulldogs will also be a bit young in the linebacker corp as senior Jordan Huckabay, junior Trey Scott and sophomore Mikey Rangel take over.  The strength of the Nederland defense will lie in its experienced secondary.  Senior cornerback Landon Hiltz (2nd team all-district) will anchor the experienced squad which will also feature seniors Noah Lewis, Brycen Grusecki and Adam Roccaforte, with junior Cedric Pete and sophomore Rene Cunningham also getting time.

Special Teams

Sophomore Payne Barrow will take over the place kicking duties for Nederland.  The punting and return duties will be sorted out in camp.

Schedule

Aug. 31 - at West Orange-Stark, 7:30 pm

Sept. 7 - Beaumont United, 7:30 pm

Sept. 14 - at Silsbee, 7:00 pm

Sept. 21 - OPEN

Sept. 28 - Santa Fe, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 5 - at Barbers Hill, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 12 - Dayton, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 19 - Baytown Lee, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 26 - at Vidor, 7:00 pm*

Nov. 2 - Crosby, 7:00 pm*

Nov. 9 - at Port Neches-Groves, 7:00 pm*

*-District games

2 hours ago, Alpha Wolf said:

Salty non-district schedule will have them prepared for district...

You still gonna do your record predictions like you do each year?

5 hours ago, L-Train11 said:

You still gonna do your record predictions like you do each year?

Being that I have 1 for sure and possibly 2 on varsity at United this year, it's the first year of United and our old football district is no more, I'm just going to stick to United football.  I will be volunteering on the United campus on my off days and with 4 kids on campus, that will occupy a lot of my time. 

47 minutes ago, Alpha Wolf said:

Being that I have 1 for sure and possibly 2 on varsity at United this year, it's the first year of United and our old football district is no more, I'm just going to stick to United football.  I will be volunteering on the United campus on my off days and with 4 kids on campus, that will occupy a lot of my time. 

That’s awesome, it’s supportive parents like you that will make the transition a success. Good luck to y’all!!

5 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

Nothing but pure speed on the 3 non district games. We won’t see speed like that till Crosby. And round 1 of the playoffs if we make it of course ;)

I'm not going to predict what place ya'll will finish in but the Bulldogs will make the playoffs.

navydawg31 and chorizo like this

Correction : Not "THAT" but "DAT"(reference to slang talk).  Now, let's say this again.  And, "DAT" Black and Gold Train has loaded up fuel already.  Big Ned's got his conductor hat on and ready to depart.