Playoff home-field for 4A and below

I think the UIL might find that they have to go to this.....aside from the Jasper example noted in the article, most of the bigger stadiums that schools 4A and smaller use during bi-district are the 6A and 5A stadiums that are going to be tied up by the rule giving 6A and 5A schools homefield advantage during bi-district.

6 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I think the UIL might find that they have to go to this.....aside from the Jasper example noted in the article, most of the bigger stadiums that schools 4A and smaller use during bi-district are the 6A and 5A stadiums that are going to be tied up by the rule giving 6A and 5A schools homefield advantage during bi-district.

If the 5A/6A games are on Friday the stadium is available for Saturday. As well as the 3rd and 4th place teams as well as all the other teams not make the playoffs their stadium is available. 

But I do believe all should go to this format nothing like working hard all season to get that one more game on your turf.

8 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

If the 5A/6A games are on Friday the stadium is available for Saturday. As well as the 3rd and 4th place teams as well as all the other teams not make the playoffs their stadium is available. 

But I do believe all should go to this format nothing like working hard all season to get that one more game on your turf.

No guarantee that 5A and 6A playoff games will be on Fridays.  They could play on Thursdays or Saturdays as well.  Everyone should go to this format for the 1st round.  Keep it simple.  For the 2nd round, it shouldn't be an issue booking a neutral field for playoff games.

Guest ECBucFan

I am fine with it...in it's current form.

However, when has the UIL ever left well enough alone? Their micromanagement will continue. Their end game is for the UIL to take complete control of the playoffs, eliminating the say (of locations) at the local level. This thing will be expanded incrementally until their goal is accomplished. Already, "replay ready" stadiums and playoff game site locations will soon be mandated. If you don't believe me, remember when  they added "only" one more team to have two in the playoffs? Now 4 out of 5 teams even with a 1-9 records goe$ in..  

This is another consequence of what happens when the UIL doubles the number of teams in the playoffs...I still believe it should be limited to the top two (at most) in each district...I know it provides a lot of schools the chance to make the playoffs but IMO it waters down the achievement of those teams who challenge to be district champions...It's all about the $$ now....

1 hour ago, 88Warrior said:

This is another consequence of what happens when the UIL doubles the number of teams in the playoffs...I still believe it should be limited to the top two (at most) in each district...I know it provides a lot of schools the chance to make the playoffs but IMO it waters down the achievement of those teams who challenge to be district champions...It's all about the $$ now....

How many teams let’s say the last 5 years  in all classifications have won the state championship not the number 1 or 2 seed. I know every year there are  4 seeds upsetting some big name 1 seeds. 

12 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

How many teams let’s say the last 5 years  in all classifications have won the state championship not the number 1 or 2 seed. I know every year there are  4 seeds upsetting some big name 1 seeds. 

Hondo did it 2 years in a row, if I'm not mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ECBucFan
On 6/12/2018 at 0:45 PM, walldrill said:

Higher seeds should get home field in all sports in all classes. 

Thats easy to say, but what if their stadium is in poor repair, or the seating won't accomodate the playoff crowd, or the hightest seed comes from an extreamly weak district while the opponent is strong?    

5 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

Thats easy to say, but what if their stadium is in poor repair, or the seating won't accomodate the playoff crowd, or the hightest seed comes from an extreamly weak district while the opponent is strong?    

not a factor in southeast texas. if so, give an example

Guest ECBucFan
1 hour ago, joeisbell said:

Are the UIL playoffs limited to SE TX? 

If blanket statements are made that applies to the entire state, why would you make such a statement? Give us an example. 

1 hour ago, joeisbell said:

That's easy.....West Orange-Stark.  Had the measure passed I think that we can all safely surmise that WO-S would have had the opportunity to host a bi-district playoff game.  However, Coach Thompson has been pretty vocal about his opposition to this measure, chiefly due to the fact that he does not feel that the turf at Hooks Stadium is of the quality sufficient to host a playoff game.

16 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

That's easy.....West Orange-Stark.  Had the measure passed I think that we can all safely surmise that WO-S would have had the opportunity to host a bi-district playoff game.  However, Coach Thompson has been pretty vocal about his opposition to this measure, chiefly due to the fact that he does not feel that the turf at Hooks Stadium is of the quality sufficient to host a playoff game.

hahahahahaha  - a state champ contender who does not want a home game for playoffs because our facilities stink?

1 hour ago, ECBucFan said:

Are the UIL playoffs limited to SE TX? 

If blanket statements are made that applies to the entire state, why would you make such a statement? Give us an example. 

its not a blanket statement. give an example. i just said setx, because thats where we are from and thats all we are concerned with...where does this present a problem?

16 minutes ago, joeisbell said:

hahahahahaha  - a state champ contender who does not want a home game for playoffs because our facilities stink?

Actually, yeah:

This is the hidden content, please

From the article:

"Cornel Thompson doesn't want to play at home in the playoffs, and neither do his players at Class 4A West Orange-Stark, he said.

While Johnston wants to reward his Newton players with a home playoff game, Thompson said the opposite is true at WO-S.

"Our kids look forward to going somewhere with a bigger stadium," Thompson said. "Plus, we have a grass field and we don't want to get caught up in a mud game or bad conditions that time of year.' "

Guest ECBucFan

There, now you have two great "examples" for you right here in SETX. I am 100% sure it happens all across the state, too. I presume your questions have now been adequately answered, joeisbell. LOL

Newton's stadium is grass and the seating is not large enough for a playoff game. Also, one team has to travel a long distance at times and this is a school night. Smaller schools like Newton like to play in a nice stadium with artifical turf. If it is not broke don't fix it. Meeting half way is still the best solution.