Jasper 9 Salado 8/Gm2-FINAL/Jasper 5 Salado 2/GM3-FINAL/Jasper wins series 2-1 and advances to Austin!!!

I thought coach Westbrook messed up when he put a young man in pitching that hadn’t pitched much all year if left fielder wouldn’t have made running catch and run into wall we would have lost that second game . Then in third game he brought 1st basemen in that hadn’t pitched hardly any all year putting lots of pressure on that young man. Got 2 men on before he brought Jeassone in to shut things down . Don’t get me wrong I love him as our coach but lthink coaches just think to much & out coach  themselves .

23 minutes ago, fishcat said:

I thought coach Westbrook messed up when he put a young man in pitching that hadn’t pitched much all year if left fielder wouldn’t have made running catch and run into wall we would have lost that second game . Then in third game he brought 1st basemen in that hadn’t pitched hardly any all year putting lots of pressure on that young man. Got 2 men on before he brought Jeassone in to shut things down . Don’t get me wrong I love him as our coach but lthink coaches just think to much & out coach  themselves .

He out coached himself all the way into the state semis.  Hopefully he out coaches himself two more times and brings home a state title!

I was scratching my head on the two pitching changes as well.  Keep in mind there is a pitching coach and a scouting report as well.  Salado had shown no issues hitting game 1 against Jeassone.  It appeared to me he was trying to get through the first part of that line up before bringing Jeassone.  Sometimes that change in pace, and is this case being from the other side, is a difficult adjustment for high school batters to make.

It didn't work out as expected but he made the change quick enough.

And yes, the running catch against the wall in left field was a series saver, but there were plenty of dropped balls, baserunning gaffes, and numerous cutoff issues that had implications as well.