Jasper vs Salado

Huffman, Robinson.  Please weigh in here.  You have played both teams. 

It is so hard to judge teams from totally different areas.  Frankly I was surprised to learn that Salado is in Region III.  Comparing won-loss records against totally different teams is rather meaningless.  For example in 2007 when Jasper made it to the state tournament, they had the worst record of the four teams.  Short version.  Jasper won both State games scoring 25 total runs, stealing about 20 bases, and setting a number of state tourny records in the process.  

This is the hidden content, please

Sorry the previous post is the similar teams both have played.  I agree someone from either of those two teams input would be great.

51 minutes ago, j_dog said:

Huffman, Robinson.  Please weigh in here.  You have played both teams. 

It is so hard to judge teams from totally different areas.  Frankly I was surprised to learn that Salado is in Region III.  Comparing won-loss records against totally different teams is rather meaningless.  For example in 2007 when Jasper made it to the state tournament, they had the worst record of the four teams.  Short version.  Jasper won both State games scoring 25 total runs, stealing about 20 bases, and setting a number of state tourny records in the process.  

I did not see the game against Salado; however, I was really surprised that their games against Lorena were so close.

I did see our guys play Lorena in both district games and both were decisive wins.

Play your game, hit the ball and don't make errors and I think you'll advance.

16 hours ago, JasperDAWG said:

Also in that title game the Dawgs caused the highly touted will middlebrooks who was being drafted in the 5th round of MLB draft to be pulled early from the mound for the first and only time in his highschool career. He was 13-0 to that point for that season.

Middlebrooks didn’t throw against Jasper in 07. He threw the day before 

2 hours ago, TC21 said:

True.  Middlebrooks played shortstop against Jasper.  I think Jasper's base running speed may have gotten to him a bit as he let a hard hit ground ball go cleanly between his legs.  That was a day that just about everything went right for the Dogs.

But still Jasper beat up a very good hard throwing Liberty Eylau pitcher that also had a very good record.  One thing to remember is that Liberty Eylau was the defending state champion.

It was surreal that while the game was going on the MLB draft was going on.  Middlebrooks could have gone in the first round but he would not commit to signing instead of going to college.  Each round Boston (as I recall) called to ask if he had changed his mind about committing.  Finally they took him in the fifth round; and he eventually signed anyway for what  probably would be considered first round money at that time.    

5 hours ago, TC21 said:

Middlebrook did pitch in the semis.  Zach Fowler, who also was drafted after college, pitched against Jasper.  Zach was the MVP of the State Tournament the year before, and was 11-0 at that point in the season--I think it was.  If memory serves me correctly, his dad was LE coach's at the time.   I also saw where Zach is now the head coach at LE.  

I remember watching Will warm up before the game and was very glad he had pitched the day before..man he could bring it.

That was a special group Jasper had.  I think they hit the ball through their line-up about as good as any team I have witnessed.   This current group is up there as well.

Good luck Dogs.  Hoping to make the Saturday game(s).

I have only seen this Jasper team once.  If the one game is somewhat representative of this squad I would say the huge difference between 2018 and 2007 was the 2007 team aggressiveness on the base paths.  Then Jasper had runners that literally would sometimes steal all the way to home.  Walk to first, steal second, steal third, and then steal home.  I have never personally seen anyone else do that.  And Taylor Hart did it against a very good Bridge City catcher.

Of course, every team has its own personality, and clearly the 2018 Dogs have their own ways to win games.

Saw last weekends games and saw the tourney run by Shawn's boys.

If I remember correctly back in 07 Jasper had a bunch of sore arms come late playoff and State Tournament time and they had to drastically change they way they had done things for most of the year to play to a new found strength. That's the sign of great coaching. We've got that again here.

From what I saw last weekend this Bulldog team was much better than a very good Robinson team. I also saw both games vs Hudson this year. This years group is solid.

Now the above is coming from an old man who now resides in Carthage but the one true difference between the two teams sits on the ring finger of the 07 players and coaches from Jasper.

Hopefully by the end of next week we can call the two teams equal.

Saw that the head baseball coaching job was open at Salado about 2 months ago already. Anyone have any scoop on the situation there? They are a perennial baseball power but it seems that they keep losing coaches. They had a good one leave there about 3 or 4 years ago and then hired a young guy that is now leaving. If anyone has any info, please inform.

9 hours ago, jeffcoat said:

Saw last weekends games and saw the tourney run by Shawn's boys.

If I remember correctly back in 07 Jasper had a bunch of sore arms come late playoff and State Tournament time and they had to drastically change they way they had done things for most of the year to play to a new found strength. That's the sign of great coaching. We've got that again here.

From what I saw last weekend this Bulldog team was much better than a very good Robinson team. I also saw both games vs Hudson this year. This years group is solid.

Now the above is coming from an old man who now resides in Carthage but the one true difference between the two teams sits on the ring finger of the 07 players and coaches from Jasper.

Hopefully by the end of next week we can call the two teams equal.

True, Jasper's power throwing pitching "Ace" was limited to playing shortstop.  But the other two starters more than picked up the slack  Of course Jasper scoring 25 runs in two games didn't hurt...