Lumberton Band Booster Theft

Hagar

I cannot believe that clubs like this give one person authorization to make deposits and withdrawals.  You've got to have at least two people authorized & must co-sign.  This happens about every 5 years.  Dumb, dumb, dumb. 

On 5/25/2018 at 10:28 PM, REBgp said:

I cannot believe that clubs like this give one person authorization to make deposits and withdrawals.  You've got to have at least two people authorized & must co-sign.  This happens about every 5 years.  Dumb, dumb, dumb. 

Absolutely......  but if I was willing to steal $70,000, don’t you think that I could justforge the other person’s signature?

I am not sure that any law can stop a criminal. The only thing that stops a person from a theft crime is honesty or fear of paying a penalty.  Once the crime has been committed then the law only provides a punishment and no deterrent at that point. 

On 5/26/2018 at 5:51 AM, tvc184 said:

Absolutely......  but if I was willing to steal $70,000, don’t you think that I could justforge the other person’s signature?

I am not sure that any law can stop a criminal. The only thing that stops a person from a theft crime is honesty or fear of paying a penalty.  Once the crime has been committed then the law only provides a punishment and no deterrent at that point. 

Good point tvc.  Just seems to bother me more when it’s an organization for the kids - school boosters, Little League, etc. etc.

10 hours ago, REBgp said:

Good point tvc.  Just seems to bother me more when it’s an organization for the kids - school boosters, Little League, etc. etc.

Yes, theft is terrible. Theft from children is worse. 

But as gun owners we make the same argument. It isn’t the gun but the person. If a person is willing to commit mass murder for which there is significant chance if death at the scene or the death penalty later, what is another law or rule going to do? 

I think that two signatures is reasonable and my union does that. It might give a person a bit of pause and rethink the issue. A person who is addicted to gambling and willing to risk prison time to keep it up? I am not sure that anything will stop that except getting caught. 

Some organizations separate the purchaser and financial secretary/treasurer permissions. That is, the financial secretary/treasurer has access to the bank statements, receipts, etc. but is not allowed to make purchases. The purchaser can spend the money, but does not have access to the paper trail. This setup allows the purchaser to make purchases without anyone else being present, but also ensures that same person can't hide these purchases. Of course, if the parties are in cahoots, then...

12 hours ago, Englebert said:

Some organizations separate the purchaser and financial secretary/treasurer permissions. That is, the financial secretary/treasurer has access to the bank statements, receipts, etc. but is not allowed to make purchases. The purchaser can spend the money, but does not have access to the paper trail. This setup allows the purchaser to make purchases without anyone else being present, but also ensures that same person can't hide these purchases. Of course, if the parties are in cahoots, then...

There was a time that would’ve almost been foolproof.  But now, not so much.  Insert emoji with tears.