Barbers Hill 3 Nederland 2/FINAL-GM1/Barbers Hill leads series 1-0

From what I have read, it is at the umpires discretion to determine if another base should be awarded.  The play last night, the ball never left the infield and the runner would slide into 3rd anyways expecting a throw.  

The rule’s purpose is to prevent fielders from forcing a slide when it’s not needed.  For instance a runner at 1st being deaked into sliding at 2nd on a hit when he could have reached 3rd without the fake tag.  

Maybe I’m reading this wrong and Mr Ump can correct me, but IMO the obstruction call was incorrect.  

watching the replay of the game & the play in question,there is clearly no fake tag or obstruction by ned 3rd baseman in front of 3rd base bag. 3rd baseman is a foot away from inside corner of base lined up to take a throw from second giving runner clear path to base, his back almost facing home plate with both hands on knees.maybe home plate ump was in bad position or blocked from seeing the play correctly, Even if this call was made giving Nederland a run it would be bs for bh. 

15 minutes ago, KF89 said:

watching the replay of the game & the play in question,there is clearly no fake tag or obstruction by ned 3rd baseman in front of 3rd base bag. 3rd baseman is a foot away from inside corner of base lined up to take a throw from second giving runner clear path to base, his back almost facing home plate with both hands on knees.maybe home plate ump was in bad position or blocked from seeing the play correctly, Even if this call was made giving Nederland a run it would be bs for bh. 

Sounds egregious, is this a neutral crew from another district

1 hour ago, PhatMack19 said:

From what I have read, it is at the umpires discretion to determine if another base should be awarded.  The play last night, the ball never left the infield and the runner would slide into 3rd anyways expecting a throw.  

The rule’s purpose is to prevent fielders from forcing a slide when it’s not needed.  For instance a runner at 1st being deaked into sliding at 2nd on a hit when he could have reached 3rd without the fake tag.  

Maybe I’m reading this wrong and Mr Ump can correct me, but IMO the obstruction call was incorrect.  

anybody have video of the play?

4 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

Either way, this is a terrible way to decide a game of this magnitude. Two really good teams were battling each other, and one was essentially awarded the winning run on some petty umpires judgement. It sucks for Nederland. 

It didn't. Nederland had a chance in the 7th inn with a runner on 1st and 3rd and failed to score.

After watching the game on nfhsn network that video does not have a view of the 3rd baseman at the time of the slide. He may have done something to draw the fake tag call. Either way it sucks to have the go ahead run scored in that fashion. That being said the at bat by the next player changes when there is a runner on 3rd with 1 out. Game of inches and seconds. Cannot blame the ump on the loss, not saying anybody is, but still is crappy. Hope for good play on all sides on Saturday 

1 hour ago, TradenupBH said:

Just remember, if our CF doesn't lose a can of corn pop up to CF because of the lights, Ned doesn't scratch a run in the whole game. We can knit pick the game to death. It worked out in the end and the best team in that game won. Let's get it again Saturday.

the play in cf was  a play not made by a  player off a hit ball, not a call by an umpire 90 foot away at home plate,whose view was blocked on a play that the 3rd base ump was 10 foot away & made no obstruction call. BH might have been the best team in that game but no one will know for sure because an umpire gave the 3rd run. 

44 minutes ago, KF89 said:

Split Crew- 2 umps from 22-5a were at 1st & 3rd & 2 from 21-5a were at home & 2nd. 

Who made the call? Home Plate umpire?  There you go.........

Neutral crews are the only way to go.  We can vouch for that after last years China Spring's debacle.

33 minutes ago, LGbaseball94 said:

Clearly a fake tag. 3B put his glove down as if he was going to tag the runner. 

You couldn’t tell in the video and I wasn’t there, so I can’t argue that.

My problem is the ump 90’ away interpreted the rule incorrectly.  The rule states that the runner should be awarded the base lost due to the obstruction.  No base was lost, so the runner stays at 3rd and a warning is given to the obstructing team with the next offense being an ejection.  

So to make that call and award the run, it would have to be in the home plate umps opinion that the runner would have scored without the obstruction.  The ball was at 2nd base and they were trying to make a throw to 3rd.  No way he scores on that.  

The only thing I can see, and it's quick because you can't see the whole play, is it looks like the 3rd baseman may have been holding his glove out for a  throw and then moved it to put it on his knee. But from what I see it should have been left alone, no interference. But all in all that should be the 3rd base ump's call and he didn't say anything. He didn't even converse with the home plate umpire. That's what gets me. Two very good teams are playing and that is what is the deciding factor. Those umps need a little lecturing from the head of the association.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:49 AM, PhatMack19 said:

I agree with your interpretation of the rule. Since I was not there I can not comment on what was ruled. 

Without opening the can and asking how you know what was said or done...  The NFHS says a fake tag, which is the act of a defensive player without the ball simulating a tag actually on an offensive player, is always considered obstruction. A base is always awarded for a fake tag. Furthermore, for this infraction like many others in NF rules, the umpire must issue a team warning. Another member of that team who commits the same infraction must be ejected. 

Based on what you saying happened, and given NFHS rules/casebook/guidance, the BU did not enforce the rule properly since he/she obviously judged that a fake tag occurred and NFHS has a penalty for that infraction.  (Chalk it up to preventive officiating...)

The ump blew the call, we can stop talking about it.  It's 2 out of 3, hopefully there are no opportunities for runs to be granted for either team going forward.  Let's just watch some good baseball today, time to move on, good luck to these two quality teams.

4 hours ago, Gorilla Bob said:

That ruling posted was on a play where the ump warned a player for his fake tag. That bottom section should of been left out. There is ALWAYS a base awarded on a fake tag is the correct answer. The umpire made the right call if a fake tag was made. 

3rd base was awarded since the runner wasn’t there when the obstruction occurred.  To award another base it is up to the umpires discretion whether the obstruction cost the runner an extra base.  No way you can watch that play and say the fake tag kept the runner from scoring. It should have been a warning with the next offense an ejection.  The home plate ump 90’ away blew the call.  

The problem I have with it is the fact that the home plate umpire overruled the third base umpire without consulting him. I talked to the ump at third to understand what the facts were. We always talk in our pregame that if something happens out of the ordinary and there is any question, all four of us will come together and discuss and make a call. In the series I was calling in last night we actually did that and they play was reversed since the ump that maid a call was blocked from seeing the ball that had come out of the first baseman's glove.