Proven Loser

I know this topic comes up on a regular basis, especially during the spring when coaches are being hired.

But, why are school district so insistent on hiring retreads?

Guys that have been Head Coaches, but have consistently proven that they can NOT win.

This to me is asinine, college and NFL teams have moved in the direction of hiring Coordinators who have had success. High Schools need to follow suit.

Because it's much easier for a school board to hire a guy who has "head coaching experience" than to sit down and decipher whether or not the coordinator has HC aptitude. Doing the latter would require people on the board know football and are good judges of character, and most school boards do not have those guys/gals.

12 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

Because it's much easier for a school board to hire a guy who has "head coaching experience" than to sit down and decipher whether or not the coordinator has HC aptitude. Doing the latter would require people on the board know football and are good judges of character, and most school boards do not have those guys/gals.

Oh, you mean it would require the Superintendent and the School Board to do some due diligence and actually delve into an applicants character and vision. To decipher if this person has a plan for success. To figure out if he has the ability to lead a coaching staff and group of young men with respect. To decide if an applicant has the character necessary to earn the respect of his fellow coaches, administrators and players.

You mean the School Board and the Superintendents are lazy, they don't want to do their jobs and they don't have the GUTS to make tough decisions?

The term “head coaching experience” goes a long way in the hiring process

Its easier to say, “Well, we thought he’d do better because he’d been a head coach before.” Than it is to take a flyer on a coordinator. A lot of the times that coordinator needs ties to that community or to the superintendent, in some way, shape or form. It’s not what you know, it’s who you know.

2 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

I know this topic comes up on a regular basis, especially during the spring when coaches are being hired.

But, why are school district so insistent on hiring retreads?

Guys that have been Head Coaches, but have consistently proven that they can NOT win.

This to me is asinine, college and NFL teams have moved in the direction of hiring Coordinators who have had success. High Schools need to follow suit.

Greatest post in a while! I couldn’t agree more 

13 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Every great coach started somewhere. I'm sure there are many schools who passed on a rookie coach, and looking back could see it was a mistake.

It really comes down to how committed the Superintendent and the School Board are to the process of hiring a Head Coach and how "SECURE" they are with their position. People with leadership skills easily recognize those with the same skill set. If the Superintendent of school Board President is a "REAL" leader then they should be able to pick out a great leader through the interview process.

54 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

It really comes down to how committed the Superintendent and the School Board are to the process of hiring a Head Coach and how "SECURE" they are with their position. People with leadership skills easily recognize those with the same skill set. If the Superintendent of school Board President is a "REAL" leader then they should be able to pick out a great leader through the interview process.

And sometimes you have a Board President and/or a Super that are not on the same page. Either feels that other had "say" on the previous hire, or vice versa. Agendas come into play, rather than what is best for the kids or who is the best candidate. 

Life is politics. Sounds like someone or somebody's buddy didn't get the job they thought they deserved. Better luck next time? Maybe?

You can always run for the school board.  It doest take many votes cause no one votes. At the very least go vote for someone who fits your style.

I'm gonna see my self out now. The only sour grapes I like are in cognac and wine bottles.

The big problem is everyone is a coordinator now days. We have run game/pass game/secondary/front and special teams coordinator. You still have an asst head coach and a discipline coordinator and recruiting coordinator. My favorite is the OC or DC that is in title only. Seems all coaches have titles now. I'm sure hiring committees, sups, and school boards have a hard time with this issue. I do see where coaches with losing records get jobs and that is a head scratcher. I do believe what your supt and former AD's say about you matters in this process. 

On 5/18/2018 at 0:53 PM, BearEssentials97 said:

Life is politics. Sounds like someone or somebody's buddy didn't get the job they thought they deserved. Better luck next time? Maybe?

You can always run for the school board.  It doest take many votes cause no one votes. At the very least go vote for someone who fits your style.

I'm gonna see my self out now. The only sour grapes I like are in cognac and wine bottles.

You are very right my fine Sir, Life is Politics. It has never been and never will be about WHAT you know or WHAT you can do. It is and always will be about WHO you know and WHO you chew bubble gum with.

My time in Livingston has passed with a number of fond memories and some life long friendships. One day in my more golden years, I might run for the school board and see if I can be a voice of change.

There are a number of factors that went into the School Boards decision and they are well within their rights to hire whomever they choose. I know for a fact that a certain faction of the board holds a personal vendetta against Randy Rowe and anybody ever associated with him, which is truly sad.

and the school board can make a difference, and who elects the school board  ''the people like you do", so who is to blame?  It is easy to sit back and blame the school board.  If you don't like the school board's decisions, then step up and run for the board (who have more duties then to just select a football coach).

Weren't "retread, proven loser" coaches that have been hired successful coordinators at one time?  Just because they got HC jobs where the gene pool is far inferior, or there is no structure to the JHs from a district standpoint, or the district gave less athletic time during the day because they lock kids up in double blocked Math/ English classes doesn't make them bad coaches.  They won big when they were coordinators with athletes, just like the guys your asking to hire, and they have experience running a program on top of that.  This is why they get hired.

You can't win without comparable numbers and some athletes... flat out.  Now, I've seen some guys that have been in places with athletes and all the advantages stated above screw it up.... Those are the coaches that don't get hired again!

14 hours ago, RidinTheRange said:

Weren't "retread, proven loser" coaches that have been hired successful coordinators at one time?  Just because they got HC jobs where the gene pool is far inferior, or there is no structure to the JHs from a district standpoint, or the district gave less athletic time during the day because they lock kids up in double blocked Math/ English classes doesn't make them bad coaches.  They won big when they were coordinators with athletes, just like the guys your asking to hire, and they have experience running a program on top of that.  This is why they get hired.

You can't win without comparable numbers and some athletes... flat out.  Now, I've seen some guys that have been in places with athletes and all the advantages stated above screw it up.... Those are the coaches that don't get hired again!

Yes, they were and if they have proven over various (more than ONE) stops that they don't have the ability to be HEAD COACHES and win some dang games then stop hiring them. Some guys are NOT head coach material. They may be good X and O guys, but there is more to being a head coach than offense or defense.

It is the JOB of the head coach to organize the entire program. If he cant hire coaches to get the Junior High program running smoothly then he probably doesn't need to be a head coach. If the gene pool is so bad then he probably shouldn't have taken the job in the first place. Locking kids up in double block English/Math classes has absolutely ZERO impact on what you do after school. Per the UIL, everybody in the state is allotted 45 minutes during the school day and 8 hours a week to practice after school with 90 minutes of full contact allowed.

Get the job done, as a friend of mine likes to say, Just Win Baby!!