Livingston hires new Head Coach/AD

12 minutes ago, LC-M said:

I’ll wager on that game. Lol Hunt is 42-313 since 1982. Get with me the week of the game and we can work this out...

I will be more than happy to.

And, I won't say which Coach on the Livingston staff said it, but had one tell me that we (Livingston) aren't good enough to beat Huntington. I will let that simmer until September.

15 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

And, I won't say which Coach on the Livingston staff said it, but had one tell me that we (Livingston) aren't good enough to beat Huntington. I will let that simmer until September.

Okay I doubt I’ll make the game. I’ll be at WOS games this year. I’ll meet you half way because I don’t know how close you live to the OC lol

On 5/17/2018 at 11:19 AM, PlayActionPass said:

I wouldn't take the word of a coach of a failed coaching staff.

Our kids beat the other kids when we coached them. When we handed them to the so called pros, suddenly they can't play. I don't buy it.

I think coaching malpractice has ended in Livingston. It will be interesting to see who else applied for the job.   That will be released next week.

34 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Our kids beat the other kids when we coached them. When we handed them to the so called pros, suddenly they can't play. I don't buy it.

I think coaching malpractice has ended in Livingston. It will be interesting to see who else applied for the job.   That will be released next week.

OOOOOO, the little league HOF coach chimes in to talk down on the "pros".

5 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

OOOOOO, the little league HOF coach chimes in to talk down on the "pros".

What was occurring in Livingston was hardly professional. In a former life I was paid to observe and report on children's games played at the highest levels. NFL NBA MLB. BCS title games. So I have a good idea of what good coaching looks like.

I'm glad the change was made. I look forward to fall.

55 minutes ago, 2wedge said:
1 hour ago, BearEssentials97 said:

This ^^ represents why I hate youth sports so much... because NOTHING AT ALL changes between little league and high school.  Like the fact that you go from playing kids the same age to playing a high school with 4 different grade levels to choose from.  or like reaching physical maturity at different times.. like transfers.. like the changing of classifications or competition.  like kids losing interest.. 

You can just as easily be blamed for instilling terrible habits that are irreversible.  Literally.. shaking my head.

3 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

This ^^ represents why I hate youth sports so much... because NOTHING AT ALL changes between little league and high school.  Like the fact that you go from playing kids the same age to playing a high school with 4 different grade levels to choose from.  or like reaching physical maturity at different times.. like transfers.. like the changing of classifications or competition.  like kids losing interest.. 

You can just as easily be blamed for instilling terrible habits that are irreversible.  Literally.. shaking my head.

3 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

There's no high school sports without youth sports. Show me a school with a strong program and you can bet they have a strong youth program.

That's because of parents who spent countless hours of their free time teaching the kids in their community how to play the game so you can one day go sit in the stands on Friday night and cheer.

We won. The coaches we played. We sent our sons to camps to get better.

As for the different grades and the changes that occur - duh, kids mature at different rates. I'm familiar with who Livingston plays this fall. With good coaching they're going to be competitive and win some games. It's gonna be better.

I have realistic expectations. A decent coach would have won 3-4 games last year and been competitive in the rest with the kids they had and the schedule they played. They weren't competitive at all. They were undisciplined. And that's unacceptable. And that's on the coaching staff.

We gave them kids that had good habits and were disciplined. We gave them kids that won and knew how to win.

4 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

There's no high school sports without youth sports. Show me a school with a strong program and you can bet they have a strong youth program.

That's because of parents who spent countless hours of their free time teaching the kids in their community how to play the game so you can one day go sit in the stands on Friday night and cheer.

As for the different grades and the changes that occur - duh, kids mature at different rates. I'm familiar with who Livingston plays this fall. With good coaching they're going to be competitive and win some games. It's gonna be better.

I have realistic expectations. A decent coach would have won 3-4 games last year and been competitive in the rest with the kids they had and the schedule they played. They weren't competitive at all. They were undisciplined. And that's unacceptable. And that's on the coaching staff.

We gave them kids that had good habits and were disciplined. We gave them kids that won and knew how to win.

Having a good relationship between your high school staff and youth programs is the key. I’ve known situations where both parties were subpar in some fashion. You have some goobers coaching youth football teaching kids how they did back in 1985, but you also have high school coaches that have changed how they’ve taught/coached since then either. 

There has to be some level of open communication between the two parties to ensure success. 

23 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Sorry for the late response.  I’ve been laughing about this post for a while.

Let me address the bold sentence above. My daughter played both volleyball and tennis in college.  There (LITERALLY) is no such thing as a youth sport for either.  How can you explain all of those D1 volleyball players that didn’t start playing until 7th grade?  

37 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Sorry for the late response.  I’ve been laughing about this post for a while.

Let me address the bold sentence above. My daughter played both volleyball and tennis in college.  There (LITERALLY) is no such thing as a youth sport for either.  How can you explain all of those D1 volleyball players that didn’t start playing until 7th grade?  

This isn’t really my fight and you might be an older gentleman but volleyball does have youth sport. Garlandvolleyball.net 3rd to 8th grade they also offer tennis.  

1 hour ago, LC-M said:

This isn’t really my fight and you might be an older gentleman but volleyball does have youth sport. Garlandvolleyball.net 3rd to 8th grade they also offer tennis.  

I’m more than aware of that.  My granddaughter will have a tryout for youth volleyball in June as an incoming 3rd grader. I’m talking about playing for a public school.  I’m also talking about the vast majority of high school volleyball players that don’t start until junior high.  Which will include multiple future college volleyball players.

34 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I’m more than aware of that.  My granddaughter will have a tryout for youth volleyball in June as an incoming 3rd grader. I’m talking about playing for a public school.  I’m also talking about the vast majority of high school volleyball players that don’t start until junior high.  Which will include multiple future college volleyball players.

Oh okay, maybe I misunderstood. My apologies 

On 5/18/2018 at 6:00 PM, BearEssentials97 said:

I have a little bit of insight into this situation, and I can guarantee you NOBODY won with the group of Senior that is graduating. The best football player in that class was the head coaches kid. There were a few lineman that were average to above average, but zero skilled players that ever had an impact.

The Juniors had moderate levels of success through junior high and attrition won the battle in high school. Some of the best players from this class quit football for one reason or another.

Now the Sophomore and Freshman classes should be better, if they can keep the numbers up. These two groups had good success at all levels coming up.

From my understanding, speed has been the biggest problem plaguing the program. Other that the Mitchell kid (move in from Coririgan) there has been little to no speed in the program recently and currently. The kids who were moderately fast at younger levels have been caught and passed by their opponents or have quit football all together.

Because of this lack of speed, a greater importance has bee placed on increasing speed and quickness in off season to the detriment of strength. Being slow and weak is a bad combination.

Broussard tried to make a splash after his first year by getting rid of the entire coaching staff, and he has been unable to hire good coaches since. Just look at the turnover during his tenure and you will come to the conclusion that there is something wrong with his leadership skills.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/21/2018 at 8:07 AM, PlayActionPass said:

I have a little bit of insight into this situation, and I can guarantee you NOBODY won with the group of Senior that is graduating. The best football player in that class was the head coaches kid. There were a few lineman that were average to above average, but zero skilled players that ever had an impact.

The Juniors had moderate levels of success through junior high and attrition won the battle in high school. Some of the best players from this class quit football for one reason or another.

Now the Sophomore and Freshman classes should be better, if they can keep the numbers up. These two groups had good success at all levels coming up.

From my understanding, speed has been the biggest problem plaguing the program. Other that the Mitchell kid (move in from Coririgan) there has been little to no speed in the program recently and currently. The kids who were moderately fast at younger levels have been caught and passed by their opponents or have quit football all together.

Because of this lack of speed, a greater importance has bee placed on increasing speed and quickness in off season to the detriment of strength. Being slow and weak is a bad combination.

Broussard tried to make a splash after his first year by getting rid of the entire coaching staff, and he has been unable to hire good coaches since. Just look at the turnover during his tenure and you will come to the conclusion that there is something wrong with his leadership skills.

I doubt Livingston lost coaches due to leadership skills and more to the tune of terrible pay they have for teachers and coaches. 

Livingston is no ones dream job in the first place. But you can bet your tales that if you dont pay the assistants well it doesn’t matter how good of a coach the head man is. 

I have family that are coaches and the quality coaches are not going to go make 55,000 in Livingston when they can goto say Splendora and make 65,000. 

9 hours ago, Billontherig said:

I doubt Livingston lost coaches due to leadership skills and more to the tune of terrible pay they have for teachers and coaches. 

Livingston is no ones dream job in the first place. But you can bet your tales that if you dont pay the assistants well it doesn’t matter how good of a coach the head man is. 

I have family that are coaches and the quality coaches are not going to go make 55,000 in Livingston when they can goto say Splendora and make 65,000. 

You obviously know ZERO about the staffs that Randy Rowe was able to assemble there. The reason 90% of the coaches left after Broussard's first season was because he was a terrible leader. 

He may be a good may with good intentions, but he was not a a good leader of coaches.

Did you work on his staff? Wondering how you would actually know...Livingston sounds like a bunch of pee wee football Dads who think they know what they are talking about and dont. Need to stick to talking about your glory days.

When Rowe was there maybe Livingston was more competitive with pay (only because other districts didnt raise their pay) now theyre not. Rowe eventually left for more money as well. Coaches arent taking jobs with terrible pay because they love coaching. They still have families to support as well. The best coaches are making better money.