Livingston hires new Head Coach/AD

I'm sure this guy has forgotten more football than most will ever know. However I just don't see someone at the end of their career as a guy that you want establishing a program for years to come. I know the coaching profession is prone to turnover but that shouldn't be the goal. The goal in my mind would to hire someone that is enthusiastic about the prospect of coaching more the 3-4 years at your high school. I know that older coaches have a wealth of knowledge and experience, but I see many of them late in their career take a job and then retire 2-3 years later. There's something to be said about consistency.

23 minutes ago, MrUmp1 said:

The man has a plan. Sounds like they hired someone who will install a system if the kids buy into will be successful. Would not be surprised if this leads to a new football stadium. 

He does have a plan, and a challenge. He has taken over at Diboll (2-8 1st year) and Angelton (5-5 first year) as May hires and not been real successful right out of the box. Same way in Ft. Worth and Seminole and Tomball Memorial. Seems that is takes a couple of years to get the program moving in the right direction. I will go out on a limb and predict a 4-6 finish, but he will get them in the playoffs by beating Bridge City.

5 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

It is a POLITICAL decision, made by a School Board that can't get out of their own way. 

I'm sure Vanover is a great coach, I've been told he is.

But, is he going to establish something that can last? Can he relate to the kids? 

The board asked parents what they wanted and experience and success were high on the list. 

I dont like that they didn't buy out the former coach after the season ended but on paper this hire looks good. He's had success at various levels. The fact he took a new high school and made the playoffs at the highest level shows he can build a program.

I think the kids will turn out. They're excited to play schools their size and smaller. And they're ready to start winning.

1 hour ago, BearEssentials97 said:

The board asked parents what they wanted and experience and success were high on the list. 

I dont like that they didn't buy out the former coach after the season ended but on paper this hire looks good. He's had success at various levels. The fact he took a new high school and made the playoffs at the highest level shows he can build a program.

I think the kids will turn out. They're excited to play schools their size and smaller. And they're ready to start winning.

I watched the interview. Sounds like a good guy and probably the best hire this late in the season.  I wish Livingston the best of luck except against my Bears. 

Looks like a solid hire. Dropping from 5A into an average 4A district they should be instantly competitive. Im not an SETX guy so I dont know much about their non-district opponents other than Jasper and Huntington...but I am going to predict 6-4 and 2nd place in the district.

22 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

Looks like a solid hire. Dropping from 5A into an average 4A district they should be instantly competitive. Im not an SETX guy so I dont know much about their non-district opponents other than Jasper and Huntington...but I am going to predict 6-4 and 2nd place in the district.

2nd  place that’s a little high for the 1st year. I think they will only beat splendora and maybe Bridge City. LCM losing 20 something seniors returning only 6 I think still has shot at beating them unless we are really down 

6 hours ago, LC-M said:

I watched the interview. Sounds like a good guy and probably the best hire this late in the season.  I wish Livingston the best of luck except against my Bears. 

Only three more years of defending Livingston and I can go back down bear path on a full time basis. 

I think the lions are going to surprise outside observers. 

4 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Only three more years of defending Livingston and I can go back down bear path on a full time basis. 

I think the lions are going to surprise outside observers. 

I think the first year will be building year and it will be competitive game. I think they could go 4-6 which is a lot better then last year

1 hour ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Go look at the schedule.  They should be at or above 500 this year.

I’m not knocking Livingston I just it think it might be hard with a  new coach and a new system. What kind of offense does the new head coach run? I did not see one game last year of Livingstons team. I’m just going by them being 0-9. Other than jasper and liberty predistrict is pretty winnable. Our district is going to be pretty weak compared to east Texas we should win bi district but I don’t see anyone going passed that point. Lumberton and Huffman will probably be at the top in our district 

2 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Go look at the schedule.  They should be at or above 500 this year.

Name the 6 wins.

And I know your first two will be Shepherd and Huntington, don't count you chickens before they hatch.

Not beating Liberty or Jasper.

Splendora and Huffman are better programs right now.

Bridge City is probably the only guaranteed win in District. 

8 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Name the 6 wins.

And I know your first two will be Shepherd and Huntington, don't count you chickens before they hatch.

Not beating Liberty or Jasper.

Splendora and Huffman are better programs right now.

Bridge City is probably the only guaranteed win in District. 

They will beat Huntington lol