Is Kalon Barnes the greatest athlete to ever come thru SETX?

BADSANTA

4 hours ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

Not hating. I just noted that if you look at the results page of the state track meet, he is not given credit for setting any record.  The wind speed must be less than 2.3 mph for a record to be set.  I don't hate on any student athletes. If you look at the 6A 4x200 you will see that 1st and 2nd place both have the designation of beating the national record, but only first place will be listed from now on.

Absolutely right. Those are the rules of track and field. Plenty of World, National, State, etc records have been nullified due to wind speeds. Wind at your back or in your face is a definite factor. That's why they've been recording wind speeds at major meets for more than 30 years. Probably much longer than that.

I sure wish he'd run track exclusively at Baylor. He's obviously special.

Best athlete ? One of. I’m not going to say he’s the best athlete ever for a lot of reasons but i’m sure i’d be classified as a “hater” or whatever but he sure is the fastest athlete to ever run in SETX. Congrats on an AMAZING HS career though and wish the best to the young man 

10 hours ago, STiger85 said:

He’s already been mentioned! He would be in the top part of the group.

I was kinda using him to illustrate that “greatest athlete” can obviously mean different things to different people. Some people would consider “the world’s strongest man” to be the best from the area... others would consider a kid like with accomplishments like JD to be the man. Other people obviously consider Barnes’ speed to make him the greatest.... some would give Barnes top billing because of the number of medals he’s won. It’s a subjective thing, and there aren’t any right or wrong answers. 

You can’t deny that he’s the fastest kid out of this area. 

55 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I was kinda using him to illustrate that “greatest athlete” can obviously mean different things to different people. Some people would consider “the world’s strongest man” to be the best from the area... others would consider a kid like with accomplishments like JD to be the man. Other people obviously consider Barnes’ speed to make him the greatest.... some would give Barnes top billing because of the number of medals he’s won. It’s a subjective thing, and there aren’t any right or wrong answers. 

You can’t deny that he’s the fastest kid out of this area. 

Earnest Anderson had more yards than herschel Walker the year won the Heisman trophy and earnest ran 4.2 40 and 9.9 in the 100 he has my vote, he should have won the Heisman. Another great wos product 

Athlete-noun-a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise. That’s pretty straight and narrow. So, how would one go about labeling someone the greatest at something. If that someone won more awards than anybody else wouldn’t that someone be greater than the others. 

35 minutes ago, STiger85 said:

Athlete-noun-a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise. That’s pretty straight and narrow. So, how would one go about labeling someone the greatest at something. If that someone won more awards than anybody else wouldn’t that someone be greater than the others. 

Well, our 4-time all-state trombone player has more medals and ribbons, if that’s how you want to look at it. And you can’t say it’s not athletic because they get a half-credit of PE for the semester they do marching contests. 

The kid’s fast... possibly the fastest. He’s in the conversation for “greatest” from the area, but if you expect everybody to agree and annoit him as the GOAT, you’re going to be waiting forever. Different people have different definitions for what makes a person “the greatest.”

If it makes you happy to bring band in. Agree or disagree, annoit him or not the fact is he has the hardware to prove it. For example, wouldn’t one say the WOS has the best football program in SETX, they prove it with the best winning percentage. What about BC Baseball, they prove it by the number of DC. Or Silsbee basketball. No matter how you go about it Kalon has the hardware to prove he has done something the others haven’t. 

1 hour ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

if we are talking hardware as being the best program, basketball would go with Kountze not silsbee. (yes I am a Homer).

Kountze - 11 state tournament appearances with 4 championships

Silsbee - 8 appearances with 2 championships

H-J - 7 times with 3 championships.

Port Arthur Lincoln *7 

On 5/14/2018 at 11:50 PM, STiger85 said:

"JD" two gold metals, two silver metals. Not bad, but he's farther on down the line. As far as Kalon coming off the bench in basketball, Silsbee had 10 maybe 12 starters on our first SC team you really didn't know who coach was going to put on the floor first. Nice try. Next!

Barnes was on the all state tourney team as a sophomore 

On 5/14/2018 at 5:36 PM, Reagan said:

Best athletes to come through SETX?   Let me throw out some names:  Mike Simpson from PNG.  Robert Perry from Lincoln.  Jeff Bergeron from PNG.  Gary Hammond from TJ.  Cotton Speyrer from TJ.  Joe Washington from Lincoln.   How many here have not heard of some of these?   Again, it's a tough qustion to answer!

None have 6 gold and 2 silver medals. 6x state champion wraps it up

On 5/15/2018 at 11:51 AM, Sportsguy17 said:

kJ Miller. He was an over all great athlete at football, baseball, and basketball. Think he had over a 500 batting average his junior or senior year. He didn’t let his size let him down. He played like he was 6’2” and with heart

He isn't in the same book as Barnes. He was very good at WOW and I think he won state twice in football. Barnes is a 6x state champion and 2x runner up