Is Kalon Barnes the greatest athlete to ever come thru SETX?

BADSANTA

Here are a list of his accomplishmnts. 

2x State 100m champ

2x State 200m Champ 

Adidas Boost National 100m Champ 

2x Basketball State champ 

4x100m relay Silver medal 2017 

2015/16 basketball state runner up 

3x All District Football 

4x all District Basketball 

2015/16 Basketball state all tourney team 

40 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

2x State 100m champ

2x State 200m Champ 

3x All District Football 

Quite simply - yes.  Speed is one of the biggest factors in athleticism.  And wind or no wind, not many in the history of this COUNTRY have been in his glorified air in this category.  Add to that his heart and determination, I personally don’t think we’ve ever had a better athlete in this area.  The awards/medals are simply a byproduct of the work and talent.  We haven’t seen near the last of those either. 

Barnes is an exceptional athlete all the way around with blazing speed but the best athlete ever in south east Texas is hard to say when you have had so many athletes of his caliber come through setx if not not mistaken trey franks from west orange one the 100 and 200 at state as well

Can’t really say Greatest, about 15years ago Central had an athlete come out name Ivory Williams who also ran a sub 10.2 100, plus 200 and 4x1, and ended up making Olympic teams...

like someone stated earlier 

It’s been allot of great athletes to come thru these parts so I wouldn’t ya someone was the greatest 

23 minutes ago, TexazBall said:

Can’t really say Greatest, about 15years ago Central had an athlete come out name Ivory Williams who also ran a sub 10.2 100, plus 200 and 4x1, and ended up making Olympic teams...

like someone stated earlier 

It’s been allot of great athletes to come thru these parts so I wouldn’t ya someone was the greatest 

15 yrs ago is to long ago. We are talking about right now.... who cares about history!!!!!

7 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

2x State 100m champ

2x State 200m Champ 

3x All District Football 

Has to be right there at the top of the list!!

one question...was he all district basketball as a freshman??

5 hours ago, Braxtonsdad said:

Barnes is an exceptional athlete all the way around with blazing speed but the best athlete ever in south east Texas is hard to say when you have had so many athletes of his caliber come through setx if not not mistaken trey franks from west orange one the 100 and 200 at state as well

And didn't he win gold medals in the relays couple years in a row? 

It’s hard for me to argue much in these “best ever” but one thing I will definitely say in Barnes favor is not only has he won  those races,  he did it in national record time... none of those others posted that time.  And all those other things just add to it.

16 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

The post is titled the best to ever come through SETX, therefore Chopper can be mentioned.

I was being sarcastic because I mentioned Babe Zaharias and I was told that was 1920. But I do believe she was mentioned in article as being one of best athletes of all time  but oh well it doesn’t count since it was 1920. 

Best high school athlete is a real possibility. You might include Jack Dallas in a conversation about “most accomplished,” but not “greatest athlete.” I honestly have a hard time thinking of anybody else (except maybe the Babe) that can compare to Barnes as far as being head and shoulders above his/her contemporaries.

It’ll be interesting to see what he does post-high school. What are his plans? 

8 minutes ago, BH85 said:

Could probably say one of the best high school athlete to come out of SETX, but will need to see how does later for overall. 

Here is a good list for the state through 1999.

This is the hidden content, please

I picked Babe but got told that was 1920 but  shes on the number 1 list in Texas but hey whos going argue with that....... They don't make a museum of you for being a bad athlete. They have Levias on the list also a College Hall of famer in football  and went into the NFL Id have to say  he would be up on the list. 

43 minutes ago, LC-M said:

I picked Babe but got told that was 1920 but  shes on the number 1 list in Texas but hey whos going argue with that....... They don't make a museum of you for being a bad athlete. They have Levias on the list also a College Hall of famer in football  and went into the NFL Id have to say  he would be up on the list. 

People's sense of history only starts when they were born.  The question was:  is this athlete the best to "ever" come out of SETX.  Which this does include 1920.  But, to say the best "ever"?  Well, there's been a long history of athletes in SETX.  So, with that in mind, I'm not sure this individual is.

1 hour ago, BH85 said:

Could probably say one of the best high school athlete to come out of SETX, but will need to see how does later for overall.   If acting counted, we would have to consider Bubba Smith ;)

Here is a good list for the state for sports figures (not athletes) through 1999.

This is the hidden content, please

I would say Michael Carter and  Ychlindria Spears  should be on any list of the greatest ever from Texas.

IMO, the best male athlete from SE Texas of all-time is Jamaal Charles or maybe even Earl Thomas.  (Talking about Babe Zeharias is like talking about Babe Ruth just really no comparison fits.)