Bridge City 3 Hardin-Jefferson 2/FINAL

You can't see home plate and second base from where he is standing, he is basically on first base.  If he was deeper towards right field maybe but from where he is at he can't.  You can see he is looking at home and would have no clue when the tag was made.  Same thing from third base, the only umpire that could possibly see both is home plate but he would have to move behind the plate and not in line with third where he is at.  I don't know what the umpires responsibilities are or where they are supposed to be positioned but can tell from the picture none of them would be able to see both at the same time making it hard to be accurate with the call.  You can barely see both in the camera and it is behind the fence giving it a much wider view than any of the umpires would have.  It would seem the only way to get it right would be for one umpire to watch for the tag and make a vocal signal the other umpire watching the plate could hear to know when the tag was made.

Umpire was in correct position for a play at the plate BUT not in position for what transpired and he knew it.... he asked for help, 2 0f 3 said runner scored first and he went with it.......2 of the 4 were definitely wrong, the only ump that was right was the one in the rundown.  

I don't think paying attention was the problem.  That's what I am trying to say is I don't think anyone could possibly see both at the same time and they are left to do the best they can with what evidence they have.  Don't know the solution to be able to get that call made more accurately.  Maybe an umpire can let us know how it is supposed to be handled?

8 minutes ago, biggreycoug said:

i could understand the crew missing this call if it is a closer call, but the guy is 13 or 14 feet (the dirt at home plate is 26 to 28 feet in diameter) from home plate when the tag was made, allowing time for the heads of the umpires to turn and see the guy is just arriving. 

In the video you see the plate ump turn to look infield as runner crosses and it is clear that the out had already occurred. Wasn’t even close that is what is bad. 

2 hours ago, Cardinals1661 said:

I don't think paying attention was the problem.  That's what I am trying to say is I don't think anyone could possibly see both at the same time and they are left to do the best they can with what evidence they have.  Don't know the solution to be able to get that call made more accurately.  Maybe an umpire can let us know how it is supposed to be handled?

5 hours ago, Ron4Shug said:

You are so misinformed! As always! 

This play is not a hard play to umpire,seen it 100's of times called right on every level on plays far closer than this.Why make excuses for 3 umpires who clearly were wrong. You watch for the tag first then look for runner touching base. The 2 umps that said runner scored before tag clearly were guessing,because plate was 15 feet away minimum from runner at point of tag out.